Tire Sizes???

02 WRX Chris

So right now I have 18's on my 02 WRX. I want to get a either 16's or 17's for my car so i can have fun in the dirt. Which size would be better?? I think the 16's but im not exactly sure. I don't really want to mess up my tires on the 18's because there wicked expensive! and I got a nice set on there for summer driving! Any help would be helpful!

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
look for 15" wheels, so you can buy castoff gravel tires cheap from rally teams. shop around carefully, you can find 15s that fit over 02-03 WRX brakes ok. you can make many other 15s work with wheel shims + a little grinding of the calipers if you're determined to go down that route. realize that gravel tires have very specific tread compunds and are NOT usable for normal street driving and cold weather use. but in the dirt there's nothing like em.

look for 15" high-brake clearance rims from brands like Team Dynmaics, Revolution, Speedline, Compomotive or Enkei. sometimes rally teams sell used rims, but they'll be pretty beat up.

16" gravel tires are super expensive, enough to offset the higher price of the 15" gravel rims (which again let you use cheaper 2nd-hand gravel tires)

02 WRX Chris

I don't think i made myself clear. I want them for DD and some fun. Ill put like an all season tire on them and use them when i can go on a monthly meet with everyone and get my car dirty! I just dont wanna use my 18's cause the tires are really expensive!

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
I think that getting your hands on a pair set of 16"ers from someone's old WRX or 2.5 would be your best bet. Chances are you can find a set here or another subaru site and if they're just for when you don't want to mess with your 18" while playing, a set of decent all-seaons should last you a while.

Mighty Subie

oops i should be selling mine in the morning but if I don't sell them I will let you know. They are a set of stock 02 16'' rims. junk tires on them right now but it's easy to get decent all seasons that are plenty of fun on dirt or asphalt. I have a set of 15s that will clear WRX brakes but they are heavily used.

Latest posts

Back