Took Some Night Shots with my NEW CAMERA!!!... im so excited

jeffcrider

So, i got a new camera. a Cannon S3 IS. and decided to take some pics of my car.

First off i didnt have a tripod, and camera shake was a major issue. but other then that i would love to get some advice from you pro's out there.

all the shots were taken with iso 80 and shutter speeds ranging from 6sec to 10sec... and i think i had my f/ set to the lowest it would go. 3. someting or 2. something... idk

also if you can't tell from the pic's im an amature and dont reeealy know what i am doing
default_wink.png
just playing with the settings and hopeing for the best

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

REXWGN03

No, but my buddy Justin lives in your building. I am there from time to time in a wrb wrx wagon on I have a black Harley I ride as well. I was checking out your car the other day.

jeffcrider

that's cool, Justin and i have talked about your car befor. next time your visiting see if im home id love to come check out your car
default_wink.png

oh, and when i was taking these pic's i was standing in the middle of the road at night haha and justin came down the street two or three times in his big red truck and almost hit me HAHA!!! well it wasnt that close but im sure he was like "WHAT THE HECK IS THIS IDIOT DOIN IN THE STREET!!!! oh... that's jeff"

Geist

Nice pics... if you ever wanna shoot the shit about photography, i'm pretty into it...

Might have some 'tips' for yeh..

get at me on AIM if you want..

it's GeistSR

Evan

Nice pics... if you ever wanna shoot the shit about photography, i'm pretty into it...

Might have some 'tips' for yeh..

get at me on AIM if you want..

it's GeistSR
whats you take on digi slr's? rebel EOS, d50/70(etc) series? any preferance? that's what i'm looking into to replace my fuji s5100

jeffcrider

there expensive...

i really wanted to get the rebel xt, but didn't want to spend a lot. Not only do you pay 6-700 for the body you have to buy a couple of len's, one for close ups and one for zoom... and maybe even a wide angle. that will put you over $1000 really easy.

but from what I've HEARD(never used one) is that they are really awesome cameras. when using higher ISO settings you are a lot less likely to got noise.

i also read a lot of reviews about the rebel XT being good for a first SLR user. i guess they are easy to use and what not...

anyways that is my opinion

Geist

I use a rebel XT for digital....

A lot of old phoagies will tell you stick w/ 35mm...

it's a lot like people who still love their old records, nothing beats them...

but in reality, digital is taking over.... it doesn't have the same "feel" to it... but what you save in frigging film costs alone makes it worth it.

I still love my 35mm though, Nikon FM10... basic but very versatile camera... 35/70mm lens, rocks the casbah.

jeffcrider

yeah, I've got a friend that uses film and she says she loves it and dosnt think she'll ever go digital.

Me, I've never used film, started out with a sony dcs-P8 (little point and shoot) and always wanted to get a nice manual camera to toy around with. would have loved to get an SLR but didnt really have the money.

The only thing i dont like about the S3 that i got is the noise in images on ISO 400 and ISO 800. Just last night i was reading about what causes noise, and why SLR's are practically noise free. something to do with the size of the sensor. the bigger the better and mine is pretty small its 1/2.5

any ways after finding that out, it makes me wish i just saved up a little longer and got an SLR... oh well i still got an awesome camera for most daily use. and it is a lot smaller and easyer to carry around then an SLR.

Geist

yeah, I've got a friend that uses film and she says she loves it and dosnt think she'll ever go digital.

Me, I've never used film, started out with a sony dcs-P8 (little point and shoot) and always wanted to get a nice manual camera to toy around with. would have loved to get an SLR but didnt really have the money.

The only thing i dont like about the S3 that i got is the noise in images on ISO 400 and ISO 800. Just last night i was reading about what causes noise, and why SLR's are practically noise free. something to do with the size of the sensor. the bigger the better and mine is pretty small its 1/2.5

any ways after finding that out, it makes me wish i just saved up a little longer and got an SLR... oh well i still got an awesome camera for most daily use. and it is a lot smaller and easyer to carry around then an SLR.
That little noise isn't necessarily because it's not a slr...

there's a buncha things to put into the perspective... an ISO is a standardized way to tell how sensitive the film is to light.

Here, i'll save myself the typing and give up the wiki...

in short, you just gotta save that for the right situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_speed

Geist

That little noise isn't necessarily because it's not a slr...

there's a buncha things to put into the perspective... an ISO is a standardized way to tell how sensitive the film is to light.

Here, i'll save myself the typing and give up the wiki...

in short, you just gotta save that for the right situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_speed

jeffcrider

this is the "reading" i was referring too (that i got my info from)

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_noise.html

it talks about how small optical sensors can cause noise. and SLR's have larger sensors

I know there are other possible causes too, this is just a common one i guess.

off the noise topic... have you seen this? http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082416canoneos400drebelxti.asp

the new rebel XTi has this dust removal system. scroll down a little bit and watch the video it looks really cool.

jeffcrider

this is the "reading" i was referring too (that i got my info from)

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_noise.html

it talks about how small optical sensors can cause noise. and SLR's have larger sensors

I know there are other possible causes too, this is just a common one i guess.

off the noise topic... have you seen this? http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082416canoneos400drebelxti.asp

the new rebel XTi has this dust removal system. scroll down a little bit and watch the video it looks really cool.

Latest posts

Back