Toolbox Talk

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Ok I bought a house, had a kid, own 4 cars that are constantly getting serviced by me. And I am crewing for 2 rally teams off and on (when they have the $$ to compete). It is time that I bought a "real" tool box for myself and my tools.

Now the Rally Stuff already has a home and is seperate from my normal "home" tools. so what I need is a fairly large box to store the home stuff in. I would like to keep it sub $1000.

I have looked at the craftsman stuff and the biggest I can muster from them is a 41" double stack ball bearing slide unit for JUST under my limit. I also looked at Sams club and can get a 56" unit for ~$800. and then there is harbor freight that has decent units by all acounts.

What do you all have and what are you happy with. obviously I cannot afford snap-off or mac or matco unless they were salvage units or something.

Trevor723

I only have a 27" top box but you should look into the stainless steel Kobalt boxes at Lowe's.

Don't bother with the painted Kobalt's or Craftsman, in my opinion the drawer guides all suck.

If you have time (doesn't sound like it!) there are deals to be had on bigger name brand boxes on craigslist, but probably not as low as $1000.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I have been looking on CL. all I have found are people selling big name stuff for ~$500 off truck price. I checked out the Kobalt stuff last night and actually broke the big $1800 model with the fridge and stereo (lame). The drawer pulled right out of the tracks and the BB's spilled all over the floor. *unamused*

I currently have 2 Craftsman 26" units packed with stuff. One is machine tool junk for my lathe and the other is hand tools. I have some stuff stored with the rally Equip as that is easier to work out of at the moment.

04fxt

mine was only about 10 grand. wish I had bought an sti instead

toolboxmod.jpg

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
you guys are into the serious stuff..

why not a program through mac or snapon, or other truck delivered expense?

I cannot remember how it works, but if ASE or proven serious there is a means to go with it realistically. Today with economy, I bet they got other options.

I assumed the thread for toolbox in your car
default_smile.png

I chose a plastic cheap two draw toy looking one, quieter, non-pro appearance...

I learned a lesson a long time ago.

Matt

i bought a used box off my snap on dealer, 56 inch, top and bottom, draw mats and he threw in a bunch of stuff.....snap on socks......i payed 3500 for a box new would go for over 10k....i financed for 35 bucks a week....****ty thing is its almost full......

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I have like a 20 dollar bobs discount socket set in a plastic case and a toolbox full of hammers and pliers and crap. I wish I could afford fancy tools and chests, but I like the mobility of my socket set... Pulled my RS trans with just a 12, 14, and 17 metric sockets (and a crapsman breaker bar).

My dad has a crapsman chest, it's pretty nice, but I hate going back and forth to it for wrenches or sockets.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
as much as I would want that setup, it is more than I need.

I did look at the sams boxes. They are definitely not Snapon, but they are about equal with the Kobalt/craftsman boxes. I found that they are manufactured by CPSC, but much less expensive. I will probably pick it up in the coming weeks and I will put up photos and a review.

inski

My wife got me the big stainless top and bottom from Lowes a couple Xmases ago. Since its the 'home' box it doesn't get beat up as much as the 'work' box. It holding up just fine. I have car stuff in there, wood working stuff, home improvement stuff, lawn mower stuff, gun stuff, ect. I even have an extra drawer for all the stickers I've been saving over the years.

Anyways, she got it cheaper than sticker price. Bought the floor model, it had a scratch on the back. It came with a very nice cover but I've never closed it up since I placed it in the garage. I'm so glad she got it for me. I don't know how I managed before.

inski

My wife got me the big stainless top and bottom from Lowes a couple Xmases ago. Since its the 'home' box it doesn't get beat up as much as the 'work' box. It holding up just fine. I have car stuff in there, wood working stuff, home improvement stuff, lawn mower stuff, gun stuff, ect. I even have an extra drawer for all the stickers I've been saving over the years.

Anyways, she got it cheaper than sticker price. Bought the floor model, it had a scratch on the back. It came with a very nice cover but I've never closed it up since I placed it in the garage. I'm so glad she got it for me. I don't know how I managed before.

Trevor723

Again? You must have hella tools at home.

Hella.

Matt

youd be surprised how many tools us mechanics have to have......i swear every time my snap on dealer comes and shows me new tools i cant say no.....never know when your going to need them

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Oh definitely. I worked for a Saab garage back in HS. the Snap-on guy tried to get me, but i resisted. But I have acquired many tools over the years from all the wrenching I have done.

I just haven't gotten a chance to get out and snag that box yet.
default_frown.gif

stupid Earl...

katnip

the car is black. I swear
we have two craftman's top and roller and a big one from home depot. his, hers and ours!

inski

Trevor, funny you mention Hella. Not everything fit in the home box. I have a plastic roller thingy with plumbing stuff in the bottom drawer, car detailing stuff in the middle, and Hella lamps, covers, and parts in the top drawer. Enough Hella stuff to make 2 pairs of 500s, plus wiring. Then theres the welding box. Whole different story.

inski

I hate sharing tools with everyone at home. No one puts anything back, including me. But if it were just me I'd know where everything was.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
ok I finally pulled the trigger tonight. 53" chest with top box. I'll put some pix up in the AM.

Latest posts

Back