trailer hitch and wiring install 02-07 imp and similar forester

i-wagon

Anyone done it? I've ordered a curt hitch from amazon and the only wiring kit they had listed for my car, which said it was plug and play. I intend to tackle the install myself, and undercoat the shiznit out of the hitch assembly before I install it. I saw an explorer in auburn that had rotted all the way through the square tubing of it's hitch, so I'm going to attempt to rustproof mine before it goes on. If anyonee has insight I'd appreciate I, especially if someone has a trailer hitch and aftermarket exhaust, I'm curious about clearence

Last edited by a moderator:

scubiecraig

Are you asking for insight on the rust-proofing process? If so, I'd get some of that bedliner stuff they make for trucks. A lot of companies make it now, and its fairly affordable. That should do the trick!

i-wagon

That's what I got thinking after. Was more looking to see if anyone else had installed one themselves, either way I plan to take pics if time allows so I can do a writeup. And the grand total was 135 with free shipping for both the hitch and wiring

PlastiKote makes a really good spray on rubber coating. It isn't as thick as the bedliners but multiple coats make it really tough. I used it on my rocker panels and have taken high pressure water to it with no peeling.

inski

I have a trailer hitch and prodrive oval tip catback.

I think the subaru hitch will clear everything, except the N1 type mellon shooters will be minimal clearence.

Yes, its a very simple install. Wire harness plugs into an existing plug. Half hour tops for the hitch and harness, unless you like to drive in mud and salt. The bolts might come out so you can get the hitch bolts in, might not.

i-wagon

harness is in, hitch is supposedly on the truck for delivery. rustproofing tomorrow then install and writeup saturday

i-wagon

So the harness is rediculously easy. Pull up te spare tire cover, pull the foam piece to the right of it, there's a plug right there the trailer harness plugs into. So that was a cake walk. Hitch is drying from truck bed liner. I was pissed to find it was gouged down to bare metal in the mfgrs box. So far I'm ready to slap it on, just need to take pics. The following have to be removed to install. Pass side recovery point (tow hook) 2 bolts w/ 17mm heads, one with 14mm. Drivers side tie down point ( tab with a loop on it) and the exhaust hanger bracket. Save the bolt hanger and metal bushing inside. I'll take pics of the pieces I removed when I do pics of the install

i-wagon

Pass side with recovery point removed

Drivers side with tie down point and exhaust hanger removed

Everything that came off in order for the hitch to go on

Now the hitch I bought didn't come with new hardware, so it looks like I'm reusing the large bolts that came off when I took everything apart. Also for the exhaust hanger I intend to use a napa replacement bolt for the donut gasket flange for my midpipe since I had one in my toolbox

Last edited by a moderator:

i-wagon

Got everything together, just need to borrow a buddys trailer to test the wiring. Didn't get any pix of the install since I did it at 6am in the parking lot at work, but it's fairly straightforward. Would have been easier had I dropped the muffler for more work space. Had to fight to get my bolts liined up. I reccomend having a helper, not a guy to stand there and laugh like I had.

Now my initial review of the hitch and wiring. The good things about the curt hitch: made in usa, looks rugged, was priced very reasonable (99 or so) the bad: came in the factory box, no packing, gouged down to bare steel. Didn't come with new bolts like some do. Had to coat it with rust preventitive since it was gouged ( put a can of truck bed coating on it, came out nice)

Wiring: made by hoppy (I think) plug and play, took 4 minutes to put in, and that was mostly cleaning my trunk.

Overall it was a fairly simple task, easier than I'd thought. I'd be game for helping somebody install their own.

i-wagon

hoppy plug and play kit is horribly chincy. plugged it in to a trailer at tractor supply to test the lights, and it blew the resistor for teh right turn/brake light. used a test light and found the wire is correct before the box, and the output form teh converter box was wrong, so let's replace a box! I decided against paying to ship the faulty one back and went to napa per advice of joel and bought a universal trailer light converter and wired it in with the hoppy harness that plugs in to the car and voila! it's alive! my advice to all: pay the extra money and buy the subaru wiring, if not the whole kit

Latest posts

Back