Tranny Fluid

prez25rs

I'm due to change my tranny/rear diff fluid in my 00 rs. Was wondering what you guys all use?

I'm leaning towards uncle scottys mix for the tranny and redline for the rear diff

R

redlinerally

Check with Synaptic3... they carry the Redline fluid you seek. They also have access to the Motul stuff too. So does Nigel and LastDitchRacing

prez25rs

I finally ordered scottys mix

I'll add a product review in a week or so, but i am sure it will be positive. Mainly cuz my stock fluid is so old i can barely shift
default_smile.png

boosted

Yep, I just bought all the ingredients last week as well, and I'll be putting it in next weekend at my buddy's shop, so I'll let you guys know how well it works too.

Ordered the RedLine Lightweight shock-proof and 75W-90 from titanmotorsports and the Castrol Hypoy-C from midway auto supply. Picked up the Syncromesh at Napa.

4WRXter

Skier!
When you guys post a product review, would you please list where you bought products, address, and phone numbers. I was thinking I should change my tran/diff fluids this summer. I don't know if they have ever been done. It can't hurt to do it.

About all I have for parts suppliers are VIP, NAPA, Motor Supply near me.

prez25rs

I couldn't find anything locally (bar harbor and ellsworth) so i ordered it all

Redline lightweight shockproof from summitracing.com

the rest from midwayautosupply.com

I'll include that in the review next week

ruggedman

Pepboys in Auburn has your Synchromesh and HypoyC. I ordered my Redline shockproof and rear diff oil from SoloPerformance.com

You guys will love your scotty's blend. Almost instantly it quiets things down...and then after a few hundred miles you can really feel the shifts get more positive.

4WRXter

Skier!
Prez, did you get your tranny and diff fluids changed? I just got all the ingredients yesterday. Did you let the tranny and/or diff drain overnight? does it take that long for all the thick fluids to drain? Is it a total PITA? I have a Hayes manual and will be checking that out, just throwing out some questions as they pop into my tiny little brain.

Can you guys shed some light on why you're using a concotion in the diff or tranny? Is there a problem you're hoping to avoid? Just looking to be educated.

Plenty of quality fluids out there(including MOTUL which I distribute). As an FYI, I recommend Gear 300 in the tranny and rear diff of stock cars. For cars with upgraded diffs, we recommend the Gear FF.

Regards, John

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
The unclescotty's cocktail helps the synchros bite quicker. It also helps with slightly worn synchros. I used similar things back when i was running my saabs and their synchros would go quickly.

basically it is a redline shockproof oil and a friction modifyer (Penzoil/GM syncrhomesh) then a regular filler to top it off.

Thanks for the info guys. I know that folks have had syncro issues with their WRX's, and I know partly it's due to the metallurgy involved. I think that what we refer to as, "mechanical sympathy," on the team might be lacking in a lot of drivers as well.

Folks that are shifting quickly(drag, fast street, etc) are perhaps shifting a bit too optimistically for the box, causing premature wear. Of course, when you buy a used WRX, you should assume it's been spanked pretty hard anyway! ;-)

We have several Subarus on the team. As you know, we're on #4 rally car. We've NEVER had a tranny problem(except breaking teeth off gears due to hitting large, stationary objects). Now, some of this might be because we're on lower grip surfaces than most of you, but with our gravel tires, our grip(and our torque levels) are pretty high.

So, why all the problems on the street? I don't know. We've run MOTUL exclusively the past few seasons. Prior to that, I ran other common products in our Honda CRX rally car.

It seems excessive to me that folks are scouring the net looking for ingredients to put in their trannies, when a high quality product might be all you need.

The other part of the issue: once your syncros are bad, they're bad. Time to open the box and replace them. No fluid is going to help you.

Cheers! John

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Typically it seems to be 4th gear that begins to grind when coming from 5th. there is a large jump in the USDM gearboxes because of EPA ratings. It makes the synchros work overtime because of the jump.

then there is the 1st gear synchro issue. it seems to get the 2nd-1st transition to go quicker and at a higher road speed. (I don't know the 06 has triple synchros and has aleviated this problem)

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
There is a bulliten about 3rd to 4th to 5th shifting in 02-05 WRX's. The fix is too replace the syncro's and sleeve/hub assy. The problem is people think it got worse cause of the fluid, when it just probably got worse cause things don't usually get better. And for 2nd to 1st gear you just stop and double clutch ;D

Shorty, exactly my point. I think people on most forums(Nasioc/Club WRX etc) are chasing their tails trying different fluids etc. When the syncros start to go, a fluid isn't going to fix them, only replacement.

That said, there are huge differences in gear oil and their anti-wear additives. Some fluids can quiet the problem down for awhile, but eventually you're going to have to crack the case and replace parts.

I'd be happy to get some Gear 300 out to a retail outlet for people to try. Not a lot in stock as a lot of the racers use it.

Cheers! John

Latest posts

Back