Trany swap/rebuild, help me decide.

Mighty Subie

$1350. I asked how much it would run me, and that's what he said. So I'm not totally sure if that included labor or not.

Rightseat

DSG quote was almost certainly for RA gearset alone. expect another $1500 for labor on a decent rebuild.

another tack is to change final drive ratio on the car--shorter final drive will pep it up a bunch. your WRX has 3.9 final drive center and R diffs, so one approach is to go with a stock RS or Forester 5MT (nice close ratios, 4.11 final drive) with a 4.11 factory viscous limited slip R diff. you'll have to change clutch bits as well, go with Exedy Stage One clutch disk and used linkage & pedal cluster from the RS or Forester. This option should work out to about the same price-wise as the RA rebuild, esp if you source a used trans and can handle the mech work yourself. Am considering this same swap on my O2 Rex waggie.

Dave G

R

rallyXcramps

DSG quote was almost certainly for RA gearset alone. expect another $1500 for labor on a decent rebuild.

another tack is to change final drive ratio on the car--shorter final drive will pep it up a bunch. your WRX has 3.9 final drive center and R diffs, so one approach is to go with a stock RS or Forester 5MT (nice close ratios, 4.11 final drive) with a 4.11 factory viscous limited slip R diff. you'll have to change clutch bits as well, go with Exedy Stage One clutch disk and used linkage & pedal cluster from the RS or Forester. This option should work out to about the same price-wise as the RA rebuild, esp if you source a used trans and can handle the mech work yourself. Am considering this same swap on my O2 Rex waggie.

Dave G
That sounds like fun too. 4.11 final drive WEEEEEEeeeeee! ;D Any particular year(s) RS or Forester?

Mighty Subie

Ok, so I'm pretty sure that I understand most of that. I also already have exedy stage 1 clutches so that part should be all set. I don't know how many miles i have on them because the previous owner put them in. I really do want to know about the 06 1st, and I have heard about 5th being too short for fuel economy and I do a lot of driving on the interstate so that is a must. I can't afford gas as it is either!! but really.. who can? I probably wouldn't have DSG do my work though because that is way too far to be sending my car. Maybe TDC or tearing the tranny out and bringing it to the guy my dad has who does all his work. I can always tear it out myself and everything. It's not a big deal for me to tear it out. I have the resources to do it and the space.

Rightseat

Ok, so I'm pretty sure that I understand most of that. I have heard about 5th being too short for fuel economy and I do a lot of driving on the interstate so that is a must. I can't afford gas as it is either!! but really.. who can?
well then, you should be well aware that shortening the final drive won't do a thing for gas mileage! if you need best mileage above all, then leave the gearing stock. RA gears or a RS/Forester 4.11 swap trade off shorter ratios for better acceleration...which means the motor turns more revs per highway mile...which equals gas hoggage

you can have your cake....or you can eat it. (so to speak)
default_wink.png
But not both.

DG

PS--Inski--any year RS or Forester 5MT gearbox has the same ratios with 4.11 final drive, it's just the newer ones 00-01 that have the 4.11 rear LSD. I think that some earlier Forester Ss had the LSD, dunno when exactly that began.

OTH, you could go even further down the final-drive slope and go for 4.44 gears (Forester S autos have 4.44 rear LSDs) by doing a ring n pinion swap. This is what our LDR rally gearboxes usually have--4.44 R&P with RA gears and 4.44 rear LSD with upgraded center LSD. Really wakes the car up, but gas mileage sux. WRX gets maybe 6 mpg on stage, the RS doesn't do much better, maybe 8-10 mpg.

Evan

i've also heard that the case on the 5spd is the weak link, its prone to flexing under load, which sends the gears into contact at obscure angles and the load is distributed on the gear surface incorrectly. the 6spd apparently has a different case design, and hence is less prone to breaking gears for that reason.

Evan

i've also heard that the case on the 5spd is the weak link, its prone to flexing under load, which sends the gears into contact at obscure angles and the load is distributed on the gear surface incorrectly. the 6spd apparently has a different case design, and hence is less prone to breaking gears for that reason.

some people say that the RA gears are a bandaid fix for that reason, they just replace the breaking gears with stronger ones, as opposed to fixing the problem at the root.

its like giving someone with childhood issues anti-depressant meds, it doesn't really fix the problem at the source.

Latest posts

Back