TSD/RallyX suspension for a Forester?

robu

Hey guys. I searched by didn't find much...

For a SF Forester (1998-2002)

So my stock struts have 150,000 miles on them (and probably 10,000 miles of hauling over forest roads) them and they're getting kind of squishy. What's out there that can handle maybe 150% of the stock spring rate, can suck up the bumps of being on rutted, washboarded gravel roads at 50-60-70 mph, and isn't going to cause me to lose a bunch of ride height. The ride-height thing means that WRX or STI takeoffs are out.

Oh, and bonus points for being < $200 a corner.

As far as I can tell, the OEM springs and struts for a Forester XT are the same rate and valving as regular version. The only aftermarket application I've found is a Monroe (ick).

Am I going to have to man-up for Hot Bits or JVAB inverted Bilsteins at ~$350-$400+ a corner?

R

rallyXcramps

Rob anything will be better than your tired stock stuff. Even new OE springs and OE struts. My Golf had 97K on the clock when I got it and the suspension could not keep the tires on the pavement traveling on most Maine roads. I got new H&R 'OE' springs and used Bilsteins at each corner. What a terrific difference. I can hot rod over the lumpiest of roads now. Once I get the Saturn in decent shape I'm gonna do the same except I'll get regular duty Bilsteins (HDs on the Golf) and H&R OE springs. A lil birdy told me its the same set up they have on the VWs and Audis at Team O'Neil's Rally School.
default_biggrin.png

New struts and new springs of any brand will be a nice noticeable difference.

mikebike357

There's a dude over on http://www.subaruforester.com who's in Australia. He has an 03 FOrester that's setup for offroading. LIfted, big tires, etc. He's probably the best person to speak to what you might need. I think his screenname over there is Kevin.

You don't want to go with wrx or sti strut/spring assemblies unless you're looking to slam your Forester. Most aftermarket setups willl lower the Forester. I'm running stock struts w/ JDM Forester STi pink springs... I still have a crapload of ground clearance but the spring rates and handling are much better than stock.

Also, http://www.jdmpartstx.com has a set of adjustable coilovers for the SF Forester on their site... might be worth a peek!

robu

Thanks guys.

Yeah, tired is probably the word: It's a slow gradual change, so I didn't really notice it, but I drove my GF's Forester the other day that has 50,000 less miles on it than mine, and it handled noticeably different/better.

AFAIK, WRX struts are 3" shorter.

Interesting - looks like the coilovers at jdmpartstx are JIC FLT's.

mikebike357

You'll need WRX Wagon struts/springs too... I think some peeps have put the sedan ones on and it was too low in the back.

robu

Yah - I'm not going the WRX/STI take-off route unless I can scare up some top-hat extenders (think 3" thick camber plate) to make up the extra length, and figure out how much "real world" suspension travel I'd be losing.

Latest posts

Back