Turbo Issue?

CheySpec207

okay so my car was sitting for almost a whole day and all was well and normal before letting it sit. So today i go to drive my car and im hearing a whining noise, sounds like its coming from the turbo. I can hear the turbo spooling and the whining noise all when i go into boost. I'm not sure whats goin on maybe i have a boost-leak somewhere on the turbo? i have no clue i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and knows whats goin on. Im dont know if it can hit target boost cuz i dont want to ruin anything trying to hit max boost so if anyone has an idea to whats goin on help me out!

CheySpec207

do u think the whining sound could be coming from a leak? upipe maybe? i really haven't had time to check for leaks but i wanna make sure i know whats wrong so i dont replace something that's not causing the problem. I have a boost gauge and the boost looks fine and i did hit max boost earlier when i drove it to see if it still did but i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this

Apollyon12

I know that advise from someone in a different situation is not always helpful, but when mine started blowing smoke and burning oil (don't know about sound, I was at stg II and the turbo was louder anyways), I pulled it very quickly, while it was still working properly. After Blouch took a look, they said that there was nothing wrong with it that they could find. So my advise would be this, run it till it really does pop and then change it. I would have a good replacement on hand though.

Apollyon12

"pop" is a very relative term. My opinion, and it admittedly is not the most informed, is that as long as the car is running "ok", making target boost, and not throwing CEL codes that it's good to go. I don't know what all the possibilties are when a turbo stops working, but I can't imagine that any major damage would occur as long as you realize something had gone wrong and stop running the engine.

Completely different animal, but I had a big-rig turbo go on me, once. Getting on the highway, all of a sudden there was no boost, lots of black smoke out the exhaust (too much fuel getting dumped into the cyliders, nothing major) and no power even though I didn't have a trailer. I pulled off the next exit, no major damage. The braided oil line had kinked and the turbo was toast. New turbo, good to go. Up to that point I had no indication that the turbo was going bad.

Some of the other people here could probably tell you better what the car will do after a complete turbo failure.

I wouldn't change it too early because I would want to get it rebuilt and upgraded (or a comeplete rebuild to bring it back to "new" condition), not just swap for a new used one. But you obviously need to drive the car while the original turbo is getting fixed. That and the fact that you probably aren't going to break down in your yard. If you think you will probably upgrade to a different turbo in the future, I might just swap to a new one without waiting for the current one to break (safest but won't nessesarily last the longest). On the other hand, the current one may be fine for a good long while and it might be a waste of money to go to a new one too soon.

CheySpec207

alright so i removed my intercooler to check the piping and i noticed oil from the turbos cold side and in the intercooler pipes. Whats that from? Something leaking in the turbo? does that mean my turbo is toast? also looks like there was oil build up on the outside of the intercooler too

SUBARUDE

this is common as long as its not a huge amount of oil but yes there is usually some there at all times

CheySpec207

so its not an issue? There's no broken seal in the turbo causing the oil to leak into the intercooler pipes? i still haven't figured out the whining noise or high pitch whistle sound i was thinking it might be the turbo where i did see oil in the intercooler pipes coming from the turbo but i was also looking around and seeing other peoples similar whistle or whining noise that it could be a leaky uppipe i have yet to check it yet i dont know how i should go about doing this besides visually checking it if anyone has another method that can pin point it easily that would be great to know

inski

I've heard blades hitting on a few. Very metallic sound. that's what I thought you was talkin bout, but a whistle/whine is def not blade play-contact.

Run it on the lift, push some boost and see if you can hear it on the lift. Remember, its AWD, get all 4 wheels rollin good before you get into boost so it doesn't jerk and shock the drive train and shutter off the lift.

EvilAsPie

The old legacy had a higher pitched whistle once. Turned out to be cracked up pipe. Took me a while to find it with the heat shields in the way. I even replaced the UP to turbo gasket thinking it was that first. Might have to climb underneath and look for carbon marks where/if it's leaking.

Some oil in intercooler piping is normal from the PCV system. it's why modified car run catch cans.

good luck.

CheySpec207

thanks for the input guys so i tried just revving it in neutral and i can hear that noise, it seems be making making that whistle/whine noise whenver my car goes into boost im gonna try taking a better look at everything this weekend when i get a day off

blackbear

My lgt started making a high pitched sound, i thought there was something wrong with the intake but it turned out to be a blown turbo. On another note the dealership was going to charge 900 just for labor to put a new one on, my mechanic is charging 80 bucks, it's being put on at the end of the week so hopefully that stays true.

diabloadsit

wow $80 for a turbo change. That is a darn good price. It takes a good 2 hours of work. That is hauling butt. Lining the turbo up with the drain tube is a pain.

blackbear

yeah, he estimated it to be 2 hours and he charges 40 bucks an hour. I didn't get another vf40, instead got an evo316 from bnr supercars, I'm hoping there's not too big of a difference...

Latest posts

Back