Turbo talk

Killerbumblebee

so after spending about 4 hours trying to find something...is everyone really so power obsessed that no one makes a faster spooling turbo than the TD04 for subaru's? I mean...someone must want a ball bearing turbo the same size as a TD04 that spools 3-4 hundred RPM's sooner...well, someone otehr than me. Anyone herd of anything like this?

EvilAsPie

I was driving the legacy last night and watching my boost gauge carefully. It would full boost at 2300 in 5th @ ~55mph. Of course the engine itself doesn't starting making more power till closer to 3500. But you get form 23-35 really fast!

Those 2.2l with free flowing intake and exhaust seem to get up pretty quick. But the td04 runs our pretty quick too. I've heard of people modding the td04s to spool faster. I'll see if i can find a link.

Evan

the 2.5 swap is the usual cure. the large problem is that the turbo is 3 feet away from the exhaust ports and hit with inefficiently timed exhaust pulses.

jmailhot

grimmspeed and deadbolt offer port and polish services for stock and sftermarket turbos that claim to increase spool. Add to that a freer flowing header and uppipe that is wrapped or coated to keep in heat, and You can get the TD04 to spool 500-600 rpms quicker.

But Like Evan said, the subaru setp is far from ideal, the design is full of inefficiencies.

A twin scroll setup is an option that overcomes the less than ideal exhaust pulses. but is big bucks$$

ruggedman

Two td04's nestled right up next to the exhaust ports
default_wink.png
best of both worlds!

Latest posts

Back