Ugh. Power Steering

Mark

So, I had been getting whining, but only when the wheel was cut all the way, and only when cold. Fast forward to two days ago, when the whining was full tilt while cold, turning at any degree. When it warmed up it was better, but still whined slightly when turning slowly, ie when power steering was needed. I filled up the fluid and it got better, but while it's cold it still whines incestently while my car is sitting still and I turn the wheel at any degree. the steering seems to also "shudder" when I turn the wheel standing still. no good.

is this a dead pump? anything else? is this like a first thing monday morning thing? or can I do a bit or research and get it done in the next couple weeks?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
try flushing the fluid before getting a new pump. if the fluid is really old it will do that.

Matt

sounds a bit air bound to me. try turning the wheel with the car off lock to lock with the car off....obviously easier when its got the front tires off the ground but this might help move any air in the system. if you want I can take a look underneath at the rack and look for leaks or try bleeding it for you......let me know.

Mark

alright, I'll do that matt. if need be I'll let you know and maybe I'll bring it in on monday/early next week whenever.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
I still can't get away from a direct fan on the pump..

the aerate symptoms, you have them... the demand is exceeding the fluid ability.

add cool air going at it, watch and laugh at what is suddenly not needed.

winter does static, as well as eveything stiffens. can't have neither..

funny enough the tighest subes could get this problem first.

default_blink.png

Mark

Yeah... I would be more surprised to see someone say they ever understand his posts. I mean no insult, but it seems as if he speaks in broken poems and incomplete thoughts.
default_huh.png
I literally just counted the syllables thinking maybe it was written in haiku. the joke would have been on all of us. sadly it's not.

what I think he is trying to say is being cold and having older fluid as Pedro said your pump could be over working the fluid causing the fluid to not want to move. This will result in your pump making noise and putting air into your system. As long as it stays just air you are fine. If for some reason this happened in the summer and you somehow vaporized the fluid you could wipe out your pump.

Mark

it's very strange. I THINK that it's back to normal. perhaps it's worked itself out. I'll keep an eye on it though

Mine did the same a while ago. It was come and go and the level never dropped so I just drove it and it would eventually stop, especially if I turned the car off and let it sit.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I was helping someone with a chevy thing that was making weird PS noises. I flushed the PS system and it stopped.

Latest posts

Back