Urabus's Plaid 98 Outback

urabusturbo

I figured it was about time to make a journal on my daily driver 98 outback.

307279_241131442612686_2112298359_n.jpg

Here it is the day I got it. I scored this for free from a friend who no longer wanted to fix it and knew I would give it a good home. The trans sounded very crunchy and it had a busted exhaust and a check engine light, also the inside had been trashed by two crazy dogs. It was only at about 165k with very little rust so I saw lots of potential. I didn't do anything with it the first 6 months I owned it besides use it to go pull the car hood sled around in my field.

Finally after the sticker expired on my other beater the 96 Legacy L I got motivated to fix the wagon. I found a used 4.11 trans for $200 bought a cheap clutch at NAPA and spent the day fixing it at my roommates garage with a lift and every tool imaginable. Trans went in with no drama, cel was erased and it took a sticker with no issue. Since then I have replaced the rear suspension with the springs and struts from an 06 Forester Xt, Installed 06 WRX wheels, installed my 02 RS seats that have been swapped in more cars than I can remember, replaced the shifter knuckle to make it feel brand new again, replaced the e-brake assembly, replaced and por-15'd the fuel filler neck, new plugs/wires, new knock sensor, custom plaid painted hood and reupholstered the entire interior to plaid using an old flannel sheet set I had.

IMGP0466.jpg

185083_405861702806325_2017935653_n.jpg

303222_405861666139662_544197740_n.jpg

So far I have around 700-800 invested into this thing and I do not have too much left planned for it. I will install the front Forester suspension and probably get 4 Hella 500's to go in front of the grill. Eventually I want to apply a color matched bedliner to the bottom half for added protection but that stuff is pricey and I am aiming to spend as little as I can on this so I can continue dumping cash into my other Legacy.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
that interior came out really good, considering you did it in the portland pie parking lot haha

hood looks pretty sweet!

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
Looks great! Did the 06 forester suspension fit with no modification?

reminds me of :

tumblr_m7zl1vsdtS1rplo8do1_500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt

Considering you hit more deer than I remember seeing in my life I would say no lights up front!!! Roof rack and lights!!! How'd you do the flannel on the hood?

urabusturbo

Looks great! Did the 06 forester suspension fit with no modification?

reminds me of :

tumblr_m7zl1vsdtS1rplo8do1_500.jpg
Yeah the forester suspension when in with no issues, one good thing about having a wagon is the ease of swapping the rear without having to mess with the seat. I like the spaceballs reference, that certainly came to mind during that project haha.

Considering you hit more deer than I remember seeing in my life I would say no lights up front!!! Roof rack and lights!!! How'd you do the flannel on the hood?
I know it is just a matter of time until I hit another deer with this, I was thinking more lights may help avoid that. Painting the hood was easy, just got some cheap paint at wal mart and took my time, it was a lot of taping but I sort of like projects that cater well to my ocd.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I ran those roads every day on the way home at a brisk pace. I do say my hella 500 setup saved my bottom once by lighting up some deer eyes that were further down a straight. I'm sure the cracked exhaust got their attention too.

:sigh: I miss that road.

New wagon looks great. Especially for the price you paid. I commend you on the good detail job. You always seem to manage doing original stuff and not played out scene stuff like crown royal bag shift boots.

I still need to come play with the RS at the farm.

urabusturbo

I ran those roads every day on the way home at a brisk pace. I do say my hella 500 setup saved my bottom once by lighting up some deer eyes that were further down a straight. I'm sure the cracked exhaust got their attention too.

:sigh: I miss that road.

New wagon looks great. Especially for the price you paid. I commend you on the good detail job. You always seem to manage doing original stuff and not played out scene stuff like crown royal bag shift boots.

I still need to come play with the RS at the farm.
Thanks! You are always welcome to bomb around the field, but be careful for the hidden hazards in the grass. I ran into a stump with the 4runner once and nearly broke the windshield with my head, ouch.

good from far but far from good?
close enough for government work

inski

That sucks.  Glad you're ok.    I liked that it a lot more before the wrinkles. Damn.

Latest posts

Back