Using oil

katnip

the car is black. I swear
OK the STi is starting to go through oil like an Irishman goes through whisky. 6 quarts in 3500 miles.  she is definitely burning it, she smokes and tail pipe is black. 124000 miles.

trying to decide if it's time to rebuild the ol' girl or source another 2.5 block and go that route.  thoughts please.

kat

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
are you sure it isn't the turbo this time?

have you done a leak down test or compression? 

There was a 2.5 block on here a while back for sale.  I would do that to minimize downtime if $$ allows.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
advise Bic lighter treatment, poof! problem up in smoke.

...but w/o compression/leakdown, it's hard to make informed decisions. makes no sense to just start throwing parts at the thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

katnip

I had a compression and leak down done when the original turbo died and they were fine.  I have read that valve seals go in these motors and they cause the same issue. ie buring oil.

I wish an sti trade would appear here.  Trust me, it would get ravaged. lol

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
then pull valve covers and scope it out.

another way to check valve guides is to rev to 4000 in 3rd gear, then lift off hard. if you get a big puff of smoke, guess what-- guides are toast. learned this the hard way on my 911. $10k motor job and all was well. (with the engine, not my checkbook)

Meyagi

I'm a hack
valve seals wont make it use that much oil. plus the design of the head keeps the oil from puddling where it can leak past the seals in the first place. compression/leakdown wont pick up bad oil rings just bad compression rings in the experence ive had. seeing what the plugs look like would be where i would start, its possibly oil rings for that kind of consumption.

katnip

then pull valve covers and scope it out.

another way to check valve guides is to rev to 4000 in 3rd gear, then lift off hard. if you get a big puff of smoke, guess what-- guides are toast. learned this the hard way on my 911. $10k motor job and all was well. (with the engine, not my checkbook)
OH big puffs of smoke present when attacking the go pedal. 

I was wondering about the oil rings. Meyagi, I am looking for really oily plugs?

katnip

cool, thanks for the input.  now to decide if I want them to do it here. hmmmm

katnip

well, it's not like that car actually owes you anything. you have maxed out the grin factor a few good many times I tink!
Oh I agree completely Nigel. But she's a good rig and I'd like to get more miles out of her before I put her to pasture.

anything else you suggest I get done while in there?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
bigger terbo, Ohlins struts, cage,

err..  uprated oil pump, Tbelt, waterpump, cam seals, front and rear main seals.  anything that will leak seals.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
forged pistons
default_smile.png

inski

They can do a plug inspection, compression test, and leak down test all at the same time.  Pull the intercooler off too.  See if your 6 quarts are in there.  

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
They can do a plug inspection, compression test, and leak down test all at the same time.  Pull the intercooler off too.  See if your 6 quarts are in there.  

Knock knock...who's there? Oil. Oil who? Oil in your intercooler is causing knocks!!

katnip

Knock knock...who's there? Oil. Oil who? Oil in your intercooler is causing knocks!!
I have had the intercooler off to check for oil recently and there is a little residue but that is all.  I think the ol' girl needs a good tear down and going over.

Getting another leakdown and compression test done this week.  Last one was a year ago by a junior tech, ie I had to tell him how to put the car back together. doh

Noooo! don't give up, fix it. Bad girls deserve each other's company, I mean that in a good way.
Oh I plan to fix it.  Still paying for the beast and I refuse to buy a newer car loaded with nanny devices until I know there is a way to get rid of said nanny devices.

Latest posts

Back