Vroom! Clunk! Vroom! Clunk! Uh-Oh!

Runnah

When driving and when is the higher RPMs, if I let off the gas quickly the whole car kinda bucks and sometimes there is an audible "clunk".

Sounds to me like something is pooched in the drivetrain. I asked Rob S about it and he thought it might be u joints.

Any ideas?

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Possible differential problem? Either front or rear. Sometimes when you lose a ring and pinion, the AWD kicks in and will cause it to be either front or rwd only, depending on situation. Does your car have the FWD fuse position behind the rf strut tower? If so, put a fuse in there and try it. It'll either get worse or go away if that's the issue. If nothing changes, move on to next item.

Runnah

Possible differential problem? Either front or rear. Sometimes when you lose a ring and pinion, the AWD kicks in and will cause it to be either front or rwd only, depending on situation. Does your car have the FWD fuse position behind the rf strut tower? If so, put a fuse in there and try it. It'll either get worse or go away if that's the issue. If nothing changes, move on to next item.

Huh? Lol I think I know what you are talking about. So that should make the car FWD?

I'll give it a shot, but I don't recall seeing a fuse there.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Never mind. The FWD fuse is only in automatics. I furgut yurs is a stik shif. Whut ah mooron.

Let me do some research. Oh yeah, on '00 Impreza AT's, the fuse goes into the fuse box under the hood.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
After searching the repair manual, I'd check engine/tranny/diff mounts(thanks Pedro). If it was a differential problem, you'd feel it all the time. I've just had diffs on the brain...

Rightseat

could also be a vac line issue...didn't I jest see a runnah post about intakes for the RS? if U were working under there, make sure you didn't miss or mess up a vac connex

also could be throttle body/TPS/throttle cable issue

does it do same thing w/ cruise control engaged?

Rightseat

possible incriminating quote from another thread....?

Yeah in the absence of snow I've been playing around on mud/dirt.

hmmm...did your vroom vroom clunk clunk thing develop AFTER a dirtfest? Any contact with curbs, berms, ditches perchance???

check for loose driveshaft/CV joints (jack car, wiggle halfshaft; some back/forth motion along length of shaft is normal. ANY play between inner and outer ends in rotational movement = pooched.)

check for center bearing loose/pooched on propshaft. look for damaged/cracked/missing rubber bushing around center propshaft bearing carrier

is your clutch action mormal? not taking up on just last part of pedal stroke, etc?

gotta get under there and start detective work...

Runnah

could also be a vac line issue...didn't I jest see a runnah post about intakes for the RS? if U were working under there, make sure you didn't miss or mess up a vac connex

also could be throttle body/TPS/throttle cable issue

does it do same thing w/ cruise control engaged?

All that stuff is good.

Runnah

possible incriminating quote from another thread....?

Yeah in the absence of snow I've been playing around on mud/dirt.

hmmm...did your vroom vroom clunk clunk thing develop AFTER a dirtfest? Any contact with curbs, berms, ditches perchance???

check for loose driveshaft/CV joints (jack car, wiggle halfshaft; some back/forth motion along length of shaft is normal. ANY play between inner and outer ends in rotational movement = pooched.)

check for center bearing loose/pooched on propshaft. look for damaged/cracked/missing rubber bushing around center propshaft bearing carrier

is your clutch action mormal? not taking up on just last part of pedal stroke, etc?

gotta get under there and start detective work...
Its was on smooth dirt/sand parking lot, no big ruts or berms. It was doing the clunking before the most recent clunking, I can't recall if it was doing it before or after the last rally-x I went to.

I had the car up a few weeks ago and I was able to rotate the rear wheels back and forth, there was some play in the wheels before they engaged.

Clutch is still reasonably tight, its definetly worn, but still works fine, no slippage.

R

rallyXcramps

I guess a mount.

Stop in at were I work and we'll go for a ride and maybe sneak it in the shop. PM-d you.

Runnah

runnah--

updates on the mystery clunkie clunk?
Not yet, didn't get to meet up with inski.

I'm driving like a grandmother until I can get it shorted.

Other forums have suggested a worn out bushing.

Evan

is your year RS map or maf? i had a MAP honda that had a vac line pop off the map sensor and it did a similar thing, although on your car i would suggest looking at all the mounts also.

what mikebike said about the shifting is pretty typical. the clunk is slack in the drivetrain being picked up during a quick upshift.

Runnah

evan said:
is your year RS map or maf? i had a MAP honda that had a vac line pop off the map sensor and it did a similar thing, although on your car i would suggest looking at all the mounts also.

what mikebike said about the shifting is pretty typical. the clunk is slack in the drivetrain being picked up during a quick upshift.
Vac lines are good I checked all those out.

I haven't had a chance to jack it up and check the mounts since my jack shit the bed.

Yeah I know what the sag feels like, I didn't have this issue with my rex wagon.

Latest posts

Back