wanna learn to ride

sooo, getting a new job 5 miles from my house. And don't feel like commuting in my STi everyday (when it's nice out).

I've never been on a motorcycle before. I figure now's a good time to start... only a few hiccups - don't own a motorcycle, don't even know where to start (250cc, 600cc?), should I just get a scooter instead? But from what I've read, people who do that, outgrow it, get bored and eventually end up getting a sport bike. Also, someone told me about this:

http://www.ridereducationofmaine.com/ Anyone ever do this? Can you recommend anyone or anywhere else (seems pricey $300 - unless that's a reasonable price, I dunno).

Also, I'm located in the sanford/springvale area - if that makes a difference

thanks in advance, for any advice/help

Stryker

I actually am selling my 600...but I'd still suggest possibly starting on a 250. Then again tons of people start on 600s and do just fine. It's a personal thing I think.

As for taking an education course...DO IT. Easiest way to get a license, teaches great skills, and insurance discounts. I took mine in Laconia, NH for $220 at the Harley Dealer. There are a lot available in Maine as well. I got my completion card (2 day course) and walked into the DMV and took a vision test, paid the fee and had my bike license.

Quite a few riders on this forum, I'm sure another one or two will chime in shortly.

I actually am selling my 600...but I'd still suggest possibly starting on a 250. ...I took mine in Laconia, NH for $220 at the Harley Dealer. There are a lot available in Maine as well. I got my completion card (2 day course) and walked into the DMV and took a vision test, paid the fee and had my bike license.
Yea I saw you were selling, it looks like it needs a little TLC. Was sorta looking for something I could buy and ride and not worry about it for a while. So you took the course in NH and you were able to get licensed in ME? Was cheaper too, I think I'll look into that. ... I just did: https://laconiaharley.com/ridered/register/event/102 $150!!!! I'm in!!

Yup. Also selling!!!
saw that also, nice bike. Can I test drive it? What side is the clutch on again?

Stein

Stein
I just took an MSF course in the Seattle area. I believe it costs $250. For some reason the Washington DOL (DMB/BMV/etc) subsidizes it so its usually cheaper. I say its worth the $300 though.

After learning through that course on a 250 Ninja, I bought an old 500cc Honda Cruiser. Its not at the level of Stryker and Matts 600s, but it will beat most air cooled 750s so its no slouch. Its really not that hard to ride, and the weight really isn't an issue if you can handle the bike properly under you.

edit: Matt! You should totally let me squid it up on your bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stryker

Can't quote on my iPhone but yes my bike needs a bit of love. However that's not always a bad thing. Chances are you will drop your first bike. I dropped my brand new 250, no real damage, just a few very minor scrapes but it could have been worse.

But either way, taking the MSF is definitely worth it! Just make sure it's a BRC that you grt the card from. I know NH subsidizes the programs at the DMV but they fill up early in the season.

Good luck finding a bike, and ride safe!

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. Don't buy a bike yet. Take that course first, then start looking. Fall is a good buying time, prices are lower.

i-wagon

I took the permit course twice before finally getting a bike. I don't believe in the weekend licensing course, i just don't believe you can be ready for the highway at night or with a rider that soon. But I started on a ninja 250, light and agile, while not powerful enough to scare you. Plus I got almost 70mpg

Stein

Stein
I took the permit course twice before finally getting a bike. I don't believe in the weekend licensing course, i just don't believe you can be ready for the highway at night or with a rider that soon. But I started on a ninja 250, light and agile, while not powerful enough to scare you. Plus I got almost 70mpg
I think it totally depends on the rider and the circumstances. I rode my bike from campus to the house where I park my car (~15 miles) on the freeway at night in the rain, just after the fluid line for my clutch broke. Granted, I would not have done it if I didn't have to, but it worked. I'm not saying I would've reacted perfectly if a bad situation had come up, but I gave myself plenty of room and just took it easy.

Matt

If you've never been on one before I'd suggest something small and cheap so if you lay it down it's not a big deal. I started on a 82 Suzuki gs250 in my backyard. Next step is a big parking lot where you can practice starting and stopping and basic turns. Start slow and be confident and you'll be fine. The 1000cc turbo murdercycle is for experienced riders!!!

^^ Thanks, all good advice up there. I'll take that course, then maybe wait 'till the fall and see if I can find a cheap 250cc (ninja) - or something else that I won't ride 'till next season and could give me time to fix it, if it needs it.

I have no intention on riding anything bigger than 650cc. Tons of respect for those folks who hop on a Hayabusa and zip down the freeway - I don't think I'd have the discipline to not abuse that speed

come take my bike for a ride, perfect learner bike
Is it one of the bikes that was in your garage when I was there? 'cause if so... you're trying to kill me

i-wagon

i wouldn't even get on his bike, and i've been on gsxr 600s and 1000s.

ninjer 250s are normally a dime a dozen in uncle henrys. people buy them to learn on, then sell them the next year after they've out grown them. i bought a new one and sold it 2 years later for a huge loss. know anyone with something small you can try? even a dirtbike would be a start

Latest posts

Back