We live in Maine...Don't forget about winter...

Apollyon12

Here in maine, if you are dumb enough to buy a high-powered sportscar (that isn't all-wheel drive) and think you can drive it all winter, you get exactly what you deserve. A fast trip into the ditch, upside-down.

My problem is that is exactly what I want. I have owned my Mini for just under a year and there are really only two downsides to it. It's an awesome daily driver, I get about 30MPG, it's a blast to drive and it's very autocross capable in stock trim. The problem is that it's a very small car, you can't haul all that much. My wife and our two dogs are about the limit. It's also great in the snow, ***for a front wheel-drive car***. Coming from a stage II WRX wagon that was AWESOME in the snow, that's a major downside. Normal steady state driving on a little snow was fine in the Mini, but being one-wheel drive, and having a traction system which kills everything once that one wheel slips, it had a hard time getting going. Also the ground clearance leaves something to be desired. About 3" and it would be plowing.

I almost bought the STI that Evergreen had back in january, but the rising gas prices, extra payment, and the amount I would have to roll over held me back. I feel justified in worrying about MPG's but it really would have been nice to buy one of my dream cars.

I am not really willing to go with another WRX, because I would want to take it right back to were I had my other one modified too. Big waste of time and money. I would rather take a step up to something I won't feel like I need to modify. The Mini is completely stock and I'm fine with that. I would leave an STI alone as well.

So I'm trying to look at other options and seeing what they can give me.

I really like the new Genesis coupe's but other than styling and being new they have too many downsides. Rear-wheel drive, small coupe, ok-to-marginal gas milage.

The 350z or 370z's are an obvious choice for me as well but share the same downsides with the Genesis.

A Legacy GT also really appeals to me, AWD, good amount of cargo room, but basicly the same MPG's as the Impreza's and is really not autocross capable.

As much as I hate to admit it, what I really should do is keep the Mini and buy a small 4WD pick-up truck or an older Suby for a winter beater. The big problem is that I hate small trucks and I really don't want to work on an old rust bucket.

That's as far as my thinking takes me...

Apollyon12

I also have considered doing a lease, given my personal history of not keeping cars very long. Longer than some of you freaks, but not long enough to pay off the different loans. The biggest problem with that is the fact that I detest the new WRX's, except the wagon, and the rates that Subaru gives on them is almost the same as buying outright.

Ty Ty

Is it the general drivability in the snow that kills you with the Mini, or just getting away from stoplights? That's what gets me, I have no problem driving front or rear wheel in the snow, but once I come to a stop, it takes forever to get moving again...my foot is too heavy.

Apollyon12

I can turn off the traction control but it doesn't really help too much. It's still a one wheel drive.

The driveablity wasn't that bad once you are at speed, it actually felt fairly stable. I think I passed more people last year in the Mini than I did in the WRX. I really just come down to the fact that the WRX was so good in the snow that I was spoiled and I want that back.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Get an older subaru that isn't rusty as a winter car. A little hard to find, but they're out there. My Legacy isn't rusty, and that only ran me $400, blown engine and all.

For the most part in the winter, the road conditions aren't really THAT bad anyway, just for a day or two after storms of heavy snow I can see it being an issue with FWD.

EvilAsPie

options:

-lsd for current mini

-cheaper GC impreza for winter

-Mini Countryman

default_idk.gif

Apollyon12

options:

-lsd for current mini
I would have to look again, but I am fairly certian that would bump me out of the stock class.

options:

-cheaper GC impreza for winter
I think this is the smartest option. In theory, I could use it for a rally-cross beater as well
default_cool.png
Anybodyu got one for sale?

options:

-Mini Countryman
Gag me with a stick. I am not an SUV person and I think they missed the mark on styling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apollyon12

*gets the fire extinguisher*

Clearly the only option is beater subaru or jeep for winter, and a new mustang 5.0.

The only accident (involving another vehicle) I have had in the winter was driving my wifes, then girlfirend's, Jeep Cherokee. I hated that thing so much. We sold it and bought a legacy as soon as I could convince her that it needed to go.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Dump the mini for a Cooper S with the LSD. Or just be sure to get something with an LSD factory.

SUBARUDE

pick up a 06-08 forester xt my blue one stock got 27mpg and with the 2.5L you have enough torque to hall what you want and they have a good amount of space in side to be comfortable

Latest posts

Back