weird sounds and smoke help!

Zach

Ok, so I drove my wrx all the way to standish yesterday to have mike look at my car for a front diff problem. then I drove back to my house. in total 80ish miles and my car ran fine. Today I start my car and go back in my house before I get ready to leave for work. I leave my driveway and the car is running fine I get up to 4th gear 3,000 rpms and my car chugs hardcore like if you were running out of gas but then recovers pretty quickly. I start rolling down the other side of the hill in netural and my car stalls and the battery light comes on. I stop my car from moving and start my car again no problem. I turn around and park my car in my driveway. First I checked if the altenator was bad by removing one cable to the battery and the car still ran. I then checked the battery and the voltage was fine. So I called Mike up and he said it might be bad gas. So I went and got some 91 octane at cumbies.in a 5 gallon gas jug. got home put it in my car while it was running. Then I notice as im pouring the gas my whole damn car is shaking and making the noise that a Kazoo would make ( the stupid plastic noise makers things that you get in cereal boxes). Next I notice that smoke is rising from around the intercooler area. that's when I turned my car off and started this post. ekk help I hope this is something easy to fix.

Zach

I have the stock tune on the ECU with a stock air box and im guessing it threw a code but im not sure because the CEL was already on due to an evap leak.

brighton

Rally Fluffer
I have the stock tune on the ECU with a stock air box and im guessing it threw a code but im not sure because the CEL was already on due to an evap leak.

I would not run a cone filter short ram with out a tune they run like poop. So.... if you still have the stock air box put that back on the car. And reset the ecu. (put neg. for a few minutes)

brighton

Rally Fluffer
I don't have a cone or short ram intake everything is stock.
Sorry. I thought the video was of your car. I'm on my phone. If you CEL is on swing by a auto parts store they will check them for free most of the time.

The chugging and dying sounds exactly like a fuel problem. If the fuel in the tank is bad then you have 2 options, treat it or drain the system.

Was there any odor to the smoke?

abenson100

oil? color? consistancy? metal flakes in it? coolant? (same follow ups)

if it was shaking real bad you probly dropped a cylinder. I would pull the plugs and check the color to get a better idea of whats going on.

HERE IS A LINK TO READING PLUGS

Last edited by a moderator:

Zach

This is the code that my car threw. P0031 Front oxygen (A/F) sensor heater circuit low input

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I don't know what your problem is, but I'd suggest NEVER again to pull a battery cable while the car is running. It can very easily fry the reg in the alternator, or worse, spike and fry the electronics in your car. It's a terrible idea.

Ryan

Scratch that idea
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:

HR radness

His royal radness
Sounds like you are running on three cylinders. Check all the plugs to make sure all the plug wires are securely on. Like all the others on here are saying it sounds like fuel. I'm surprised you aren't getting a cylinder misfire with that 02 sensor code if its running that rough.

Ryan

I would first address that CEL before assuming anything else. They are indeed expensive to replace, but it's not uncommon for those sensors to go. How many miles?

Zach

Rounding up I'm at 176k miles, but when I bought the car I was told that the engine was replace at 68k miles. I have no paper work to prove this.

Latest posts

Back