• fuel pump

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • timing belt

• the force

• Total voters

Car Whore

So, my Integra died on me as I was leaving my neighborhood today. It had been fine, with no running issues at all. The last thing I did was change the oil and filter a couple of days ago. Pulled away from a stop sign and lost power in 2nd gear. The car cranks fine but won't catch. Being so cold, haven't noticed any white smoke out of the ordinary, and any coolant loss I've attributed to not having a cap on the resevoir. :BangHead:

I had it towed back to the house, and I'll investigate more tomorrow. It's not cold enough right now for me. :BangHead:

Evan

it wouldnt be the HG.

if the TB snapped it would sound really weird cranking over, and in all likely hood would crank faster than normal (because it wouldnt make any compression)

it could have jumped a tooth on the timing belt which would cause it to lose power and could stop it from starting. see if you can rotate your crank to TDC (theres probably a mark on the main pulley that lines up with another mark on the block if you look past the front wheel. then take off the top of the TB cover and see if both cam pulleys are lined up with their marks. if it wasnt replaced on schedule then it could have stretched out and snapped.

maybe toss some dry gas in it too, and check that you actually have spark by holding a plugged in spark plug to the block (to ground it) and having someone crank it over.

i'm gonna work till 11 tomorrow morning, you can call me after that.

ReZPunK

been there done that twice on the integra motors.

problem is from the crank to the first cam it meets there are no tensioners, so the belts are allowed to flap for a good 18 inches of space. especially if the belt is getting older.

mine failed the first time in 2nd gear, nice easy take off. the second time was more violent. i snapped it doing 65 and on the gas haaaahd on my way to an autocross. running late of course... good thing it broke....i bought a subaru to replace it,
default_smile.png

good luck hope its a fuel pump.

Ty Ty

I voted the force. The Jedi are mad that you own a Honda.

I just don't go around saying that I have a Honda and it's nice and safe in the garage, hehe.

Evan

oh no its not a honsa, its an 'acura' ha ha.

if it skipped a tooth and slowing lost power like i and rez are saying then it shouldnt be too bad of a fix, just follow the regular TB replacement procedure. check honda tech for the garage mechanic way to do it. i can help next weekend most likely. if it cut out all together and the valves hit the pistons (isn't the b18b an interference motor?) then you might need some new valves...

ReZPunK

yeah the B18B is,

what most people that RACE them do is remove the power steering and where the pump usually goes an extra timing belt tensioner goes there. i would have dont that if i had decided to repair the car again, but i opted for a WRX instead.

Car Whore

yeah the B18B is,

what most people that RACE them do is remove the power steering and where the pump usually goes an extra timing belt tensioner goes there. i would have dont that if i had decided to repair the car again, but i opted for a WRX instead.
I think I might do that, because my ps pump is leaking anyways. Do you know where to get that tensioner?

I haven't had a chance to look into it yet, but I'll start tomorrow. I had to worry about replace my torn muffler hangars on the M3 so I could drive that in the meantime. I don't think I have to tell you that it is pretty fun driving a lowered rwd car on summer tires after a snow storm. I almost couldn't get out of a parking spot. :BangHead:

Evan, I'll call you tonight probably.

Car Whore

oh no its not a honsa, its an 'acura' ha ha.

if it skipped a tooth and slowing lost power like i and rez are saying then it shouldnt be too bad of a fix, just follow the regular TB replacement procedure. check honda tech for the garage mechanic way to do it. i can help next weekend most likely. if it cut out all together and the valves hit the pistons (isn't the b18b an interference motor?) then you might need some new valves...
LS/VTEC time,then?

Car Whore

crank sensor?
Hmm, something else to check. Here's what I've found so far-

There is a wire coming from the alternator that was rubbing right up against the drive belt. It had worn away the plastic covering and maybe some of the wire inside. Can't really see because it's so dirty and buried in there.

Did a compression test on the cold engine, and got some terrible numbers-

Cranked it 5 times each, but not sure if the needle was still rising. The plugs for #1 and #2 had some oil on them, and #1 was really sooty. The last two looked ok.

inski

Crank it 10 revolutions per cylinder for a compr test.

But before you do that, pull the timing cover or top portion, or the valve cover. Just so you can see if the belt or cam is moving when you turn the crank by hand. But yeah, those number aint lookin good so far.

Mighty Subie

shouldn't those all be up around 125? or am I thinking about my bike engine. I get everything backwards now that I've been tearing into my bike.

Car Whore

Car is now running!! Ended up being none of the above-it was the ignition coil!

The battery was low, hence the bad numbers on the compression test. $74 for a coil from Autozone, plus new rotor/cap/plugs, and she's up and running again.

Latest posts

Back