What struts, fit what models

The_Brauns

Hey there, brand spankin new to the forum! I have a 05 outback R and need new struts, so I'm trying to find if i can put forester struts in if that's possible. Thanks In Advance!

RamenBurger

This thread has been really helpful! I've inherited stock struts off an '07 Forester and it sounds like they should bolt right in aside from the rear strut mount.

chris4545

A question i see often, is what struts fit on what Subarus. It usually has to do with people wanting to lift or lower their car. So I figured I'd do a little write up.

So, as a rule, any 02-07 Impreza, 95-99 Legacy or Outback, and 98-08 Forester, share the same strut bolt patterns, both top and bottom. The entire strut assembly from any of these models, will bolt right into any of the other models and years, in that list. The exception is the STi. 04 STi shares the same as all of these, but 05+ STi, does not, as they changed to 5x114 hubs on those.

Now, if you install 02-07 Impreza struts into a Forester, or an Outback, it'll lower the car roughly 2". If you install them into a 95-99 Legacy, not much will change, nut the spring rates will be different for sure.

If you want to lift your 02-07 Impreza, you can use 98-08 Forester strut assemblies, or 96-99 Outback assemblies, 95 Outback was at the regular Legacy height.

98-08 front Forester strut assemblies are all pretty much the same. but, 98-02, and 03-08 Forester rear strut assemblies, are a bit different. The rear spring perch on the 98-02 Forester is lower than the 03-08. But if you use the 98-02 rear springs in the 03-08 Forester rear struts, it'll give a little stiffer ride, and help with saggy butt. But you also need to use the 98-02 top spring plate with that combo as well. And to follow that up, the 03-08 rear Forester struts, have a higher lower spring plate, so you're able to fit larger tires with those.

96-99 Outback struts, and 03-08 Forester struts are almost the same as well, both have the higher spring plate in the rear, but the Outback springs have a lower spring rate.

Hope that helps some confusion, and doesn't add any! Feel free to add info, or ask any further questions!
i have a 02 impreza obs, if i use forester struts and springs from a 03-08 will i need to use trailing arm spacers? and approximately how much lift will be achieved?

Subie2k11

Any ideas on a 2000 legacy gt wagon? I’ve seen some post say 2000-04 outback but not sure if that is accurate. Also I’ve found a set of 06 outback struts local I’m wondering if they might work.
I’m in the same boat with a few others, been doing a lot of reading and am having trouble finding any information about what forester struts will fit an 09 Outback sport. Just looking to get a little extra clearance and some bigger tires for traveling around deeper parts of the UP. Thanks for any direction!

A question i see often, is what struts fit on what Subarus. It usually has to do with people wanting to lift or lower their car. So I figured I'd do a little write up.

So, as a rule, any 02-07 Impreza, 95-99 Legacy or Outback, and 98-08 Forester, share the same strut bolt patterns, both top and bottom. The entire strut assembly from any of these models, will bolt right into any of the other models and years, in that list. The exception is the STi. 04 STi shares the same as all of these, but 05+ STi, does not, as they changed to 5x114 hubs on those.

Now, if you install 02-07 Impreza struts into a Forester, or an Outback, it'll lower the car roughly 2". If you install them into a 95-99 Legacy, not much will change, nut the spring rates will be different for sure.

If you want to lift your 02-07 Impreza, you can use 98-08 Forester strut assemblies, or 96-99 Outback assemblies, 95 Outback was at the regular Legacy height.

98-08 front Forester strut assemblies are all pretty much the same. but, 98-02, and 03-08 Forester rear strut assemblies, are a bit different. The rear spring perch on the 98-02 Forester is lower than the 03-08. But if you use the 98-02 rear springs in the 03-08 Forester rear struts, it'll give a little stiffer ride, and help with saggy butt. But you also need to use the 98-02 top spring plate with that combo as well. And to follow that up, the 03-08 rear Forester struts, have a higher lower spring plate, so you're able to fit larger tires with those.

96-99 Outback struts, and 03-08 Forester struts are almost the same as well, both have the higher spring plate in the rear, but the Outback springs have a lower spring rate.

Hope that helps some confusion, and doesn't add any! Feel free to add info, or ask any further questions!
Do you know what forester struts would fit a 2011 subaru wrx.

Troy

1998 legacy outback 2.5 auto.im looking to stiffen and possible rasing the car a tad. From what I'm reading I can use the forester struts however I want to know if anything could be gained by using just the forester springs in my assembly and if I would need to change anything. And what combo would you use if you had this car? Not looking to go crazy high I just want a stiffer ride on the highway and maybe a half inch raise if not more.thanks

Agbaker7B

I have 2007 outback, wanna lift it and looking at what you said I can basically just throw forester struts on my outback and get lift?
if I am reading correctly 07 forester struts on to my 07 outback?

trey3824

I saw someone ask a similar question earlier but have not seen a reply yet. I have a 2016 impreza, I've put lift spacers on it but I'd like to look at swapping to a forester suspension and possibly matching control arms/rear arms as well as spacers/mods that might increase wheel base as well. Anyone have an idea what forester years would match? Thanks in advance!

MbunaMan

A question i see often, is what struts fit on what Subaru's. It usually has to do with people wanting to lift or lower their car. So I figured I'd do a little write up.

So I got most the info I needed from just this one post thank you OP and all contributors, this is a all in one thread but I do have a couple question of specifics; I have a 01 forester, if I put shocks from an 08 Forster on it will it stiffen or change the ride hide height or characteristics also will all the years from 03-08 be all the same on a 01 forester? And lastly is there any specific 03-08 Forester models that came with better or special shocks that would would be better than any others?

MbunaMan

My bad I see I just did not read it thoroughly enough all the answers were there!!! I have terrible dyslexia and missed the parts I needed lol

08imprezonator

Figured i should share my lifting experience since there's so little info with this gen! I've got a 2008 impreza that i lifted with 2012 forester xt struts 18000kms ago and what ive since learned is that in order to balance out the suspension you definitely need to either space out the subframe or get adjustable trailing arms and control arms in the rear. They dont make adjustable ones for the front for this year but my suspension guy said he could probably grind out the holes in the struts to try and fix the camber. If you dont fix the camber especially in the rear... Well ill just say im on my 3rd set of tires since i put the struts in. Hope this helps for anybody looking, happy lifting!

SuzieSubie

Hi there, new here and to subaru ownership as well. I had a rear strut bust on my 2003 subaru forester xs the other day and I am currently trying to acquire replacements parts within my budget. So far I've been able to find rear complete assemblies at a decent price but I would like to replace all 4 due to age and rust. Plus my fronts sound and ride awful. If I have read the thread right, I can interchange with 04 in the fronts? I've had absolute horrible luck finding 03 fronts in complete assemblies within my budget. (Tried ordering locally and have gotten screwed over by the local auto stores)
Side note: this is my daily driver for work and I rack up a lot of miles. Just want to be certain I'm ordering the correct parts before I commit to spending so much time and money on repairs.. Thanks!!

Troy

So I completed the swap on my 1998 OBW and here's what I learned.
Forester struts worked great in the front and gained almost an inch. The rear I tried to do the 98-02 Forester springs in the 02-08 Forester struts however the spring didn't quite mate will the base plate and the sensen struts I had where considerably shorter than the kybs I had and have on right now. I realized that the foresters and the Outbacks use the same KYB struts in the rear so I put the springs in them and it leveled out with the front so overall it worked out pretty good. I took the car down to have it put on the alignment machine and everything went good with that as well. If anyone has an idea why I couldn't get the strut combination to work I would like the spring plate to be a little higher but all in all I am satisfied with the results.

lysadmc

Do you happen to know or have any thoughts about what struts would work on an 86 GL?
I heard a rumor that forester struts would fit-just raise it a bit. I’m not able to find front struts for a GL as old as mine anywhere.
Much appreciated!

startella18

Got any info for 2000 legacy GT lift options? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back