Whats wrong with my wifes car???

Brodie

its a 99 legacy 2.2 automatic 110,000 miles. at first i thought it was a tranny issue it really has no power until the rpms are at least 3500 rpm's and then it kicks in a low gear and takes off (well takes off for a 2.2 that is) but the rpm's do not go up higher than that without getting the torque to the wheels. i've had a tranny slip before and this does not feel like a tranny slipping....from a dead stop you can floor it and the rpm's very slowly will climb (the car moves but acts like i'm bearly giving it any gas) once the rpm's get up to 3500 or so it takes right off.....The car idles fine, does not sputter, no check engine light, etc. any ideas????

Brodie

Yeah, filter is good to go. I'm almost wondering if its fuel related maybe low fuel pressure? possible bad injector? if the check engine light was on a faulty sensor would make sense but no dummy light is on.

inski

I've driven a few cars with the exact same sympoms you're describing. Though interweb diagnosis is difficult my guess would be secondary ignition (plugs, wires, coil) or a restricted exhaust (cat melt down or bent pipe just forward of the muffler, seen it, people back into things.).

internalcombust is onto something.

Brodie

(cat melt down or bent pipe just forward of the muffler, seen it, people back into things.).

internalcombust is onto something.

HEHEHE I wouldn't doubt it

I'll get it up in the air and take a look at it

J

junkyardgabe

possibly any fuel injection cleaning or a clogged cat.

R

redlinerally

When's the last time you changed the plugs/wires/coil/fuel filter? I just did that today and my car already feels perky! Well, perky for a 2.2 :
default_redface.gif

Brodie

not exactly sure.....should probably get around to doing it......when this damn winter finally ends....IF it ends.

R

redlinerally

I'd be doing the general tune up items before paying a shop to compression test it. BTDT with another vehicle. Turned out to be a fuse and I spent $115 in diagnostic work. Check your fuses, filters, PCV, plugs & wires, do the coil last because of cost issues. If all this fails to fix the problem, then tackle the big stuff. IMO, anyhow.
default_redface.gif

Brodie

Well...still not figured out....No codes....Plugs/fuel&air filter tranny filter....stilldoing it then i found this on the net at "how stuffworks.com"

1995-1999 legacy

Poor transmission shift: Hesitation or poor acceleration may be due to the powertrain-control module (PCM) misinterpreting normal engine vibrations as knock, and retarding the ignition timing requiring a replacement PCM. (1999)

Could this be it? anyone have a spare they'd like to sell..........I gotta figure this out

Brodie

No check engine light!!!!!

what the heck!

plugs/wires/filters/pcv..........still having problems.

plenty of power (well for a 2.2 auto) above 3,000-3,500 rpm's

foot right to the floor from a dead stop and the car just creeps along until the rpm's get in that range.(it's a real slow climb to 3,500 rpms)

I'm not sure if its an ecu issue, engine or tranny? it'd be nice if i had a known working ecu to swap in to see if that was it.

hesitantOBS

Failing fuel pump? Maybe the pump can't hold pressure at low voltage, but when it climbs, it keeps up? I dunno... i'm dumb.. :-

Brodie

Failing fuel pump? Maybe the pump can't hold pressure at low voltage, but when it climbs, it keeps up? I dunno... i'm dumb.. :-
Well, that's one that i haven't thought of.....

4WRXter

Skier!
Did you buy the car used? Have you ever seen a CEL actually on? The reason I ask is, after a little detective work, I found out that someone had taken the CEL bulb out of the guage cluster in my car. Instant fix - no CEL. :
default_biggrin.png
That reminds me, I better call Shorty.

EvilAsPie

My 98 obs used to do something similar to that. But it was a 5sp. If i took off from a dead start fast, but didn't play out the clutch long enough so i was well under 2k rpms with the clutch out and gas matted it would bog real bad, almost stop but still creeping along. I don't know how long it could last cause i alway let off the gas and/or clutch again and the car with take off.

i always thought it was because a had MAF with an open cone filter in the engine bay so from a dead stop it was pulling too much hot air and just couldn't handle it.

But then i noticed the exact same thing happen on my wife's 2000 RS which is a MAP with only a K&N replacement air filter. But it was doing this when we had a bad O2 sensor so the afr was messed up all the time.

So my thoughts at this point, if you air intake is stock, looking a fuel pressure or a O2 on it's way out. But an O2 is hard to diag without a CEL.

or

Just don't mat it from a dead stop.
default_biggrin.png

Back