Which in car Video camera do you recommend?

SWPWRX

My father-in-law has asked me to find a good quality in car video camera and I'm pretty much at a loss. I've been doing research and seeing some really expensive stuff but I don't think he needs anything that fancy. I was wondering if anyone here might have any experience with a in-car mounted camera or a dash mounted camera?

His main goal is to have something that lets him videotape a looking forward type of view that would not necessarily show the inside of the car but maybe a bit of the dash and the road ahead. He is a civil engineer and he designs highways/roads in Brazil so the focus would be on the road he is driving down. He didn't give me a price range but more or less just asked for me to find a good quality one that won't shake around too much and will last.

As far as price, well I'm not sure where to start. Electronics are extremely expensive in Brazil so me buying this here would be a great deal for him so any input regardless of price would be great.

Thanks guys!

Busuto05

Got one of the Gopro Hero HD for the bike, takes great vids, small as well. Checkout Newenough.com, Bike site but was the cheapest at the time!

inski

My son just go the gopro. He got a 5hit ton of attachment doo dads with it.

water proof

Last edited by a moderator:

SWPWRX

That camera looks really nice. The price is much less than I anticipated and I think the versatility is exactly what he needs. It looks so nice I'm tempted to get one myself.

Thanks for the replies!

SWPWRX

Heres a video I made with my gopro. Remember this is non HD one. Get the HD one!!
Thanks for the video it was a blast to watch. It looks like you had a really good time on some great roads. I don't know of roads like that around here...nor do I have a car that can brush off a beating like that so easily. Those tires are so meaty and I bet they grip like nothing else in those conditions.

I think that camera is going to be perfect and I'll be sure to get the HD one for him. I think he's going to appreciate the abilities this camera has and after watching your video I'm definitley thinking about getting one for myself.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
the go pro is to have fun, and accept the distortion.

I wanted a beater camera too, found the last mpeg2 standard accepted by gov'ts (pal hd is not one)

panasonic sdr-s10, cheap now, can survive a plane crash, and waters, and is last attempt at normal eyeballs with normal vision. no circus. no bs... xp mode is 60fps, can do slow mo smooth.

last one.

this camera was too fastr for memory, in its first two years.. I had to wait for class 6 extreme 2..

funny. not a single hd camera mentions that with their so called "60 fps".. the real thing goes real fast. Just a hint for you.

GClark

Thanks for the video it was a blast to watch. It looks like you had a really good time on some great roads. I don't know of roads like that around here...nor do I have a car that can brush off a beating like that so easily. Those tires are so meaty and I bet they grip like nothing else in those conditions.

I think that camera is going to be perfect and I'll be sure to get the HD one for him. I think he's going to appreciate the abilities this camera has and after watching your video I'm definitley thinking about getting one for myself.

It was a blast. Those roads were all in Utah and watching that video made me miss so much. The Grabbers are perfect for that stuff, very grippy.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Heres a video I made with my gopro. Remember this is non HD one. Get the HD one!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgVnoitPcvI
nice vids G, but them Utah roads let you get away with stuff. running wide on roads like that in Maine, and you'd be mowing down Pine trees and beaver bogs, I mean vice versa!
default_additional_sillylol.gif
:lol:

GClark

nice vids G, but them Utah roads let you get away with stuff. running wide on roads like that in Maine, and you'd be mowing down Pine trees and beaver bogs, I mean vice versa!
:lol:
Hey now, be nice. It was first time out on those roads, and the first time on that setup offroad. The roads in Utah tended to be a lot more forgiving then Maine, cause of the lack of trees and all. They aren't all like that though, a lot of them are about a foot below the surface, with rocks and ditches lining the roads. Still, hell of a lot better then logging roads
default_biggrin.png

Here's what most of them looked like

Picture165.jpg

Picture149.jpg

and this is what happens when you come down a steep muddy slope too hot

Picture195.jpg

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
lol, I am not sure I'd want to buy a used car from you, G!

thanks for posting truthful pics. I guess all's well that ends (reasonably) well.

krazykarpenter

most definitly go with GOPro and get the box of extra mounts. They will stick anywhere to anything and will not come off, and the suction cup mount will stick to most anything as well. They are indestructable. 2.5RS_Dan and I used mine on the ATV's once and it fell off whilst hooning near some rocks. When we found it it was still recroding.

GoiN'PoSTaL

I have 2 of them, they are great! (tested it in the fire departments fire blast trailer and the camera worked great and wasn't bothered by the heat)

Back