Whining noise...

Dr3amer86

I have a question for you guys...I was driving back from Portland when randomly my car started makin a whining noise as I accelerated. Doesn't make the noise when I push in the clutch and shift gears, just when I have my foot on the gas. Tends to wind down when I take my foot off the gas and start braking. It's a 99 Legacy 25th anniversary edition. I'm just scared to drive it cause if it's something major I don't want it getting worse...any ideas? I'm calling my mechanic today to try and get in ASAP to figure it out. Just thought I'd ask you guys first...

Dr3amer86

Thanks guys! We will see. I have an appt. at 2pm today to make sure it's taken care of fast so it doesn't possibly get worse.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
throw out bearinng makes noise while the clutch is pushed in, not out. that sounds like a bad bearing inside the transmission, the front diff letting go, or the rear diff letting go. most likely a bad bearing in the transmission though, its not uncommon i see it often.

Dr3amer86

Thanks Meyagi.
default_smile.png

I'm going to my friend Dave's he has an auto repair shop in Wales,Me

Dr3amer86

So the guy said it sounds like a bad bearing in the tranny. Also needs a clutch, and a rear sway bar/links! Yay!! How exciting since I just had a baby 3 weeks ago. He also can't get me in till September 13th. I'm scared it'll get worse if I drive it till then.
default_frown.gif

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Well it's not worth taking apart the transmission to replace a bearing. It's MUCH cheaper and easier just to have the transmission replaced. It would have to come out anyway to replace the bearing. I got a whole tranny and rear end for $150, so they're not expensive.

I say just drive it. It's most likely not going to just die all at once. Since the transmission is a part you're gonna have replaced, not fixed. It doesn't matter if you make it worse. Same with the clutch. They don't usually just stop working completely. It's going to get replaced when the tranny comes out, just use it.

Honestly, I don't think it's a tranny bearing. They usually make more of a grumbling noise than a whining noise. When my rear diff went it made a horrid whining noise. When my old 5speed lost a bearing, it made a nasty grumbling noise.

If it's the front diff, the tranny still needs to be replaced.

Dr3amer86

The sounds comes from the rear of the tranny. So I dunno...I have a bunch of people saying so many different things...makes it overwhelming...

Latest posts

Back