wideband or narrow band O2 sensors?

Smiththers

im thinking of getting an AFR gauge along with voltage and vacuum. i was wondering where i could get the signal for the AFR gauge and whether or not to get a wideband or narrow band. i was hoping to get signal from a wire right on the ECU so i dont have to run a wire to the exhaust.

I was also wondering where i could buy the cheapest Romraider compatible OBD2 cable/plug? i just recently learned of this free software and im curious to see what i could do with my car.

diabloadsit

Wideband would allow you to tune the car. The narrow band is pretty much what comes stock on a oem car. You have to go wide band O2 when tuning so you can see more of what is going on with the car. The OEM market could care less about that. They just need a certain range to monitor and if goes out of this set range for the O2 then it trips a CEL.

diabloadsit

Just tapp another bung into your exhaust just like oem has for its O2 and then plug in there. I could be wrong but a narrow band on a AFR would be useless.

But, like I said I could be wrong. Maybe BrenTuning will jump in on this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

diabloadsit

Also, remember a narrow band O2 sensor is used for one thing to tell the ECU its either running rich, lean, or stoich. Its voltage is between 0-1volt. If you hit WOT on the narrow band it goes closed loop and the ecu doesn't even monitor it.

But a wideband can monitor this change even in WOT. So all this put togeather I would go with the wideband and tapp a bung.

My .02 cents and take that with a grain of salt because I am no expert.

Smiththers

i read somewhere that newer cars have wideband sensors in them so they can more closely monitor the emissions and keep the milage up as high as possible. any way i can test this to see?

diabloadsit

Uhm, maybe get ahold of someone at evergreen. One of the guys there might now.

Or if you feel cocky and think you can do it. Find were the O2 plugs into your ECU and measure the voltage on it. Do it cold and when the car is warm. When the car is cold its going to go full closed loop where as when she is warmed up it will not.

If its a narrow bad there voltage tend not to be more than 1v were widebands voltage is going to be atleast 4x that. Good luck.

Nate

Founding Father
I don't think there is any way you have a wideband O2 sensor in there. If you did they would have figured out a way to tun with them already, and I would have had to spend $200 buying one. Stock cars don't need wideband readings.

Smiththers

well either way im just looking to have the AFR just to show some motion on a gauge other than RPM. i will have the 3 gauges just below the radio in a DIN style mount.

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
I really wouldn't bother. Getting A/F off the stock sensor means tapping into the factory wiring harness, which I don't recommend. Besides, it will be a narrowband reading of 14.7, Lean, or Rich. Standalone wideband A/F kits costs right around $200 and will give you numbers that are useful.

seeing as how you have a non-turbo, I'd recommend an oil pressure gauge instead of an A/F.

patsti

NitrousFed
I don't think you are ever going to have a need for a wideband in that car... Sorry but DONT WASTE THE MONEY! It is not a turbo and it is not modded to the point (aka tune/turbo/cams/pistons/fuel pump/Nitrous/etc)...

Even if you get it tuned its not gonna be crazy enought to have any need for a wideband. Narrow bands are a waste of time.

I would stay away from adding any gauges maybe oilpressure/temp but that's it!

Smiththers

i only wanted the gauge just for show... im not intending on really tuning this car. My friend has one in his prelude and it just dances from lean to rich the whole time your driving... all i wanted.. the vacuum will just do about the same thing, bounce around when shifting... the voltage will serve a purpose once the stereo is done. hope you all understand my needs :-D

Nate

Founding Father
A $200+ wideband setup seems like a lot to spend for just a gauge to bounce around on the dash. $200 would seems much better spent on nice sway bars for your car. At least it will handle better. And there is tuning that you can do to that car.

i-wagon

if you want pretty gauges, i have megan racing oil pressure and volt meter. both yours for $50 NIB

Smiththers

i dont think you understood what i was originally asking and what im going to do. if i have a narrow band O2 sensor, then im just going to get a gauge to match that. gauges aren't that much money, im certainly not going to blow tons of money on these things...

On another note, about the Rom Raider cable... any ideas for a cheap one? experimental purposes only....

Nate

Founding Father
Tachtrix cables cost what they cost. They are never on sale, only thing you might do is find a used one for sale.

You may talk to BrenTuning about seeing it you can tweak some extra ponies out of that car of yours.

Smiththers

i think more than anything id like to see if i can get a little better gas mileage. i do about 3000 miles a month, so i spend a lot on gas haha.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
So you want to blow a bunch of money on some gauges, cables, and a tune? Take that money and put it toward your gas bill and lighten up your right foot.

The NA motors aren't like the turbo motors, there isn't a lot of room to do anything with them, and if you do want to, you spend too much for little gains.

Smiththers

i baby the car as it is, i cant do 70mph on the highway and get the mpg that i was told by others that it is supposed to get. if i drive the car hard then forget it, i barely get the "in-town" rating.

as for spending money, i feel better about spending the money on something i can see AND touch/keep, kinda the same reason i dont care for strip clubs. everyone has their own reasons for buying what they do, mine may be very different from others.

Latest posts

Back