Wind/Road Noise Coming From Shifter???

Stein

Stein
I thought the road noise from my Subaru was bad enough without this, but recently have had a new source of it: my shifter. I pulled off the interior trim piece that goes around my shifter and I narrowed the noise down to being some sort of opening from my shifter to the outside world.

The noise changes when my shifter is in different gears. For instance, fourth and second gear make the worst noise, whereas first/third/fifth all make the sound a bit deeper/lower. When driving, I can stick my hand over the hole where the shifter itself goes down out of the cabin and it sounds like a kind of like seashell, so this hole is the problem area. I feel like maybe something that seals it fell off of the car. Is there a part like this? The sound gets very loud when going 30/35 and higher, especially when in fourth gear (because of the position of the shifter, not the gear itself). What the hell did I do to "break" my car this time?

Lastly, what other information do you guys need? Would a picture be helpful?

Thanks for your troubles guys, and sorry if this is another stupid question like my battery thread.

Stein

Stein
NASIOC may have come through and suggests that I tore a rubber boot that is on the shifter.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

upgrades1.jpg

I don't know how to check though. It looks too hard to get at from the inside, but its probably easier than going in from under the car. I don't know if I can remove that plastic piece surrounding the shifter by myself. I'll give it a try tomorrow between homework.

Mark

my sti was a bit noisy and even cold at times. i would leave it be. i've driven jeeps where you can see the road move through it.

Stein

Stein
Well I have my interior open right now, so I think that's a yes...

In the morning (when its light and a bit warmer) I'm going to be taking it out to look for that rubber boot.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
If you find a rip in that boot, it's gonna be a real pain to replace it. You will most likely have to take apart some of the shifter to put a new boot on. I would just deal with it!!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Since that isn't overly essential for anything besides keeping noise out. I'd probably wrap electrical tape around it. Both because I'm cheap, and because it would be a heck of a lot easier...

Stein

Stein
It may have just slipped down, and I may be able to just put it back in place (and secure it with electrical tape
default_additional_sillylol.gif
). I got 5 of the 6 bolts out of that metal piece around the shifter, but my screwdriver ran out of batteries halfway through the last one (and I couldn't get it with an old fashioned screwdriver because its rusted in and I'm weaksauce).

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Try some PB blaster on the more stuck screws. It does wonders. Whenever I'm working on my car I use PB blaster and just assume that it is going to be seized up...

Stein

Stein
Lobstah used tons of PB blaster on Ryan's suspension
default_smile.png
. I'll have to pick some up sometime (when I have cash that is
default_tongue.png
).

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Oh that's right, didn't I have you pick up a can. Yeah it's great!! I never go without it. And it only costs a few bucks

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Yea, I got a can from NAPA, something like $2.50.

It lives in my car along with a bunch of other tools. Never know when something is going to break...

Latest posts

Back