Windshield removal help

Subanoob

The Legacy I bought needs a windshield. I have a 98 Outback parts car that has a good windshield...

Getting the smashed one out of my car is no problem.

I need help / tips on getting the good windshield out without cracking it.

Also, use the napa windshield "rope" and window weld to install it?

Thanks guys for any help!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
One option is to have a company like safelite glass or whatever come an swap the windows for you. They'll probably charge like $50, do it properly, it won't leak, and they won't break the good one.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Piano wire is how we always used to do it. I've swapped a few. And before putting the new one in, make sure the surface is very clean and as much of the old sealant is gone as possible. Then use the 3M windshield caulking and lay a good solid, even bead down. Use shims on the bottom and sides to make sure it's even, and sitting in the right spot. 

Also always good to have another set of hands to lift the new windshield out of the parts car after cutting it out.

Subanoob

I've called a few places and they want nothing to do with pulling the good one.

I already have a few tubes of window weld from making motor mounts lol

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
benellim1entry1mb.jpg

Good to go.

JoshP

the one time I tried to do it, i was happy becuase I broke the good one in less than 5 minutes.. and that was being really careful.  Once you get it started you should be good tho, i coudlnt get through the glue

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
They make a special tool, looks kinda like a sawzall. It makes window removal the easiest thing in the world. If you can rent one from autozone or something, that's your best bet.

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
They make a special tool, looks kinda like a sawzall. It makes window removal the easiest thing in the world. If you can rent one from autozone or something, that's your best bet.
Those are also the best way to eff up all of the paint under where the glass seals, and start up serious metal rot. Need to be a full on pro to use that properly.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Those are also the best way to eff up all of the paint under where the glass seals, and start up serious metal rot. Need to be a full on pro to use that properly.
Well getting the broken one out is easy, because it's broken, you can't break it. And pulling the window out of the donor car it doesn't matter if you dick the paint. Because it's a parts car.

Latest posts

Back