Winter mode ideas?

AiRX

Gonna finally drive the WRX this winter! Just looking for input on best way to protect my investment...

i-wagon

Skid plate, undercoat, steel wheels or cheap rugged alloys. Snow tires, skills to operate snow tires.

jojo69

Did my first winter with the Rex... Things I would do if I could start again: Clear bra whole front of car. 

I don't have a garage, but used ONR regularly to get rid of salt/dirt. Worked quite well.

Worthless rims/good snow tire combo as everybody else stated made a big difference in terms of driving. 

Good water/snow repellent on glass like CQuartz glass treatment or other similar pdcts. Of course winter paint prep (which I am sure you will do) or an opti-coat (or similar) treatment would probably go a long way for your paint vs traditional polymer/wax combo (better protection, less maintenance = les marring potential).  

Oem plastic skid plate seemed to work fine for me, but I could see the potential value of a metal skid plate (although annoying to take out when doing oil changes). 

Mud flaps is another cost/effective investment for winter imo. 

Cheap/ebay front lip if you have one... you never know what is hiding inside the snow... just saying!

Last edited by a moderator:

SoMeWRX

You're leaving the garage queen club?? I will once again be parking it this winter I believe. I usually just take it out for some hooning during big storms.

KamB

Kam Berry
Best, safest and probably least arguable method to avoid damage... DO NOT go out with us on a southern Maine snow drift night.
default_tongue.png

Seriously though. Snow tires do wonders I found. Somewhere there's video of me bouncing off the limiter in 3rd gear going nowhere at a drift night on summer tires, now I have snows and its incredible.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Im sure he knows how to drive during winter... Lol.

Dont do it! Seriously. Your cars effing mint. Buy a beater please
default_frown.gif

AiRX

So I have come to these winterizing solutions, per your input and research:

I will be washing this thing at least twice a week and doing the engine bay every other week.

Bumper cover, 1/4 hood, scoop, front roof, A pillars, rear door legs, wheel well edges and mirrors will be wrapped and plasti-dip combo

Rally Armor or RokBlokz

Aluminum skid plate (not sure on the diff plate) "Who has the best one?"

Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 for the paint and wheels

Chemical Guys Metal Shine for whole exhaust

3k HID's back in fog lights

WeatherTech digital fit floor mats front and rear

OEM wheels with Blizzaks

Now I am looking for a clear protective spray for the WHOLE underside and suspension.

jojo69

So I have come to these winterizing solutions, per your input and research:
I will be washing this thing at least twice a week and doing the engine bay every other week.

Bumper cover, 1/4 hood, scoop, front roof, A pillars, rear door legs, wheel well edges and mirrors will be wrapped and plasti-dip combo

Rally Armor or RokBlokz

Aluminum skid plate (not sure on the diff plate) "Who has the best one?"

Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 for the paint and wheels

Chemical Guys Metal Shine for whole exhaust

3k HID's back in fog lights

WeatherTech digital fit floor mats front and rear

OEM wheels with Blizzaks

Now I am looking for a clear protective spray for the WHOLE underside and suspension.
In terms of suspension, have you considered sleeves? Overland made some for his car which worked really well at keeping nastiness out. Give him a shout, i am sure you can work something out with him if that may be a viable option to consider.

I used rubberized spray cans (duplicolor or 3m cant remember) for the wheel wells of my florida hatch when i first moved here. I applied a few coats and it worked really well and i dont see why u couldn't use it for the underside of your car.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

jojo69

Oh and in terms of paint protection? Why CG? Don't give me wrong, I have nothing against them, but SS6 seems realtively new and a tad on the more expensive side when compared to other offers that have been on the market (tried and tested) for less, most notorious being Opticoat 2.0 but also Quartz, DP Coating, 22ple?

If you really want to protect against rust. Seal up all the pockets and places that will hold dirt and moisture.  That includes plastic side skirts, bumper pockets, subframe low spots, moldings, fender liners.  Anything that will hold something against metal parts. Even better strip off all your moldings, side skirts fender liners and spray every inch of the car with KBS or POR 15 and than a topcoat of any paint.  Then drill into all the hollow parts of your car and inject a rust inhibitor like CorrosionX and then seal those holds back up and coat over them with the same treatment.  Than a clear plasti dip over any part of the car that is know to sucum to road rash. Than when you wash it and that means removal all salt and dirt and than dry it your car will last for many many many years.  Than if after that you feel like going out in the snow. I applaud you for you are a true car enthusiast. 

blehhh

I didn't do anything other than General Altimax Arctic studded snows on my OEM wheels. Already have flaps. No special undercoat or paint sealant or anything. Been under my car dozens of times since last winter and it all still looks new, (except the stock exhaust I guess). 

Drifts like a champ, especially with the 22mm F&R sway combo. the open diffs don't seem to spoil the fun either, all four seem to spin just fine.

Drift night is a dangerous endeavor, but you can generally find your own space to hoon about in, and to be honest, the empty roads mid-storm are a lot more fun than any parking lot.  
default_additional_rockon.gif

Latest posts

Back