winter storm + ebrake

jojo69

Hey y'all, 

This past Sunday, as the storm started, i had to go to work. Parked outside and did my business. 6 hours later, I start the car and tried to drive off, but car won't budge... not even a slight momentum as I rev up... weird I say.

I think to myself that I am not that much snowed in that much and even if i were, i out to be able to move a little bit forward or backward. but nothing! I step out just to be sure... mind you the wind is howling still. Nothing blocking the wheels. 

I start to panic a little. I try again to rev and pull forward, nothing... at this point, i smell burnt coming out of the engine through the a/c vents... that doesn't help with the panic feeling... 

Eventually, I just say f'it, and I rev a bit more and then I hear a loud clunk-sounding noise and the car has momentum!! 

Hoorah I think until i try and stop the car at the next stop sign only to realize I have no stopping power!! I press the brake and nothing happens... 

Again, i'm like crap! Now what... I decide to take it slow and stay in the parking lot letting the engine warm up and periodically try to see if braking power comes back. Better to call tow truck in parking lot than a busy street. 

After a few minutes, it feels like brakes are working again... I start having a little fun in the parking lot until a snow plow dude asks me nicely to stop because "it makes plowing harder". Sure sure, I say. My brakes are back, I'll just head home. 

SO, bottom line, I imagine my brake pads froze to the rotors. So, for next time, I'll try just leaving a gear in and not using the ebrake... 

1) Is that what likely happened? 

2) Any tips that you guys use to prevent such situations? 

Sorry for such a newb Q's, but it's only my 2nd winter in Maine. Never had this happen last winter
default_smile.png

THanks! 

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
That's pretty typical when the pads get packed with snow and then the car is parked. In fact, if you go through deep snow for a while, you'll find that dead pedal feeling until the pads/rotors clear. I'm not aware of anything that can reakly be done to prevent that, except for riding the brakes to clean them before you park it.

Also, don't be afraid to engage the clutch a little more than usual when starting from a stop and things are frozen up. That will keep the clutch from burning up like you experienced. Just make sure not to hit anything when it does break free :)

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
have experienced exact same thing a few times lately. all depends on conditions, and how much snow you have packed around brakes when you park. riding em a bit before parking sounds like a good plan...get some heat into em, maybe a couple pumps before shutoff.

The ebrake is still a set of shoes inside the rear rotors unless the changed that and I never heard about it. Those shouldn't stick unless you leave the car sitting for 2 months with it set.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
If I've been doing something like driving through heavy snow or playing in parking lots. Before I park the car I'll drive with light pressure on the brake pedal to warm them up a bit and dry them out. I don't know if it works... But I've never had that happen to me again.

The ebrake is still a set of shoes inside the rear rotors unless the changed that and I never heard about it. Those shouldn't stick unless you leave the car sitting for 2 months with it set.
Eh, not completely true. I had a car that the e-brake would freeze overnight if I left it set. It may have been the cables, or hole in the backing plate, I dunno. But I do know if I didn't leave it set, I didn't have an issue.

jojo69

Thanks! Yeah since it was 3am, the roads were clear and had only been plowed once, there was a good few inches of powder on the ground and I did do a little bit of hoonage just before i parked at work. Guess ill make sure to 'clear the brakes' next time. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
If you've been through deep/moderate snow on the road anywhere, it's always good to test your brakes a few seconds early before a stop is needed.  I've been caught off guard before when my brakes were packed up with snow/ice, and it took an extra 2-3 seconds for them to bite.  ABS also tends to come on hard once they do bite, because you've probably pushed the pedal down pretty hard.

Have fun out there this winter
default_cool.png

Latest posts

Back