winter tires

Qsubarusti

basically want some winter tires

225/45R17 Bridgestone Potenza RE070 Summer/Directional are probably the most preferred but ill settle for anything in any condition for now.

(they're going on 17' bbs if you was wondering)

stainless

I 2nd that....

or check out nokian wrg2 for a ALL CONDITION tire.

different than all season. A bit more snow/ ice capable.

Summer tire+AWD+ snow= poor traction.

Awd does not help you slow down or stop.

Nate

Founding Father
AWD is great.... But it wont overcome the slippery white stuff on a car that only weighs 3,000lbs. Summer tires are just that... SUMMER tires. For one the tread is designed for maximum traction on DRY-WET payment, but not snow. They are also only designed to stay soft on normal warm (summer) weather temperatures. Take a summer only tire outside on a 35 degree day and the summer tire will be like driving on concrete. Winter tires are made with rubber compounds that are meant to stay soft and pliable in cold. Thus when added to the specific tread design made for snow translates to good traction in the winter weather.

Start scouring craiglist in Maine and NH for snow tires. There are some to be found easy enough. Try looking for a stock 225/45-17, or similar. I run a 235/45-17 Dunlop Wintersport 3D and love them.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
o jeez here we go again...'whut r beztest wintr tires?'

narrower sizes are better (cut down thru snow to find traction underneath), so mount up stock tire size or maybe one size narrower

watch tire diameter tho, more than ~10% difference +/- in diameter will confuse ABS sensors, put your speedo readings wrong, etc etc

Mark

225/45 on the stock bbs still make it a dream in the winter. on the sti you can't just throw on 15" steelies with $50 sears winters. i liked keeping the stock size. even on that stock size my nokian hakkapalita's made my sti the best winter car i've ever driven

4WRXter

Skier!
Subarude has a stock of winter tires.
default_redface.gif

Latest posts

Back