wooshing water!?!

XDIRTYX

so 09 wrx 5 door, over the last month or so anytime it rains i get wooshing water sound when i stop or start from a stop. it is a lot i know that. its not in the doors maybe in or around the driver side ground effect. i can hear it comming from behind me then up to my door. anyone else have this problem or heard of it? i tried google but didnt know how to word it. im going to the dealer monday to get an oil change so ill ask them too

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
so 09 wrx 5 door, over the last month or so anytime it rains i get wooshing water sound when i stop or start from a stop. it is a lot i know that. its not in the doors maybe in or around the driver side ground effect. i can hear it comming from behind me then up to my door. anyone else have this problem or heard of it? i tried google but didnt know how to word it. im going to the dealer monday to get an oil change so ill ask them too

i have the same exact car but haven't had any problem with it. Did it start happening after you put the mudflaps on? because when i installed mine, i had to pull back the side skirt a little bit, and who knows, that may be it, and why water may be getting in your side skirt if that is the problem.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
I tore into an old subaru. Whaddya know, same as the new subarus..

the wheel arch channel may have a means to meet rocker.My old one did not directly, but did find something interesting. I tripled a wheel arch up close and personal. then there is this butt crack looking seam where external meets internal, and yet another channel is formed by the wheel well skin (forward wheel well in front of tire). Removing that sheet reveals it. So there could be two sources:

window trim (that culprit has yet to leave any subaru.)

rip in wheel well sheet.

if tires are wide, it could be feeding yet another source of your newer one.. the external side mount, and it may not be interior at all.

it is a strong setup.. but time can generate a rare error.
default_biggrin.png

I also found that a hole intentional at the root of a-pillar then welding a cup like shape, (behind fender on a-pillar) keeping front wheel spin and leakage from getting in, is a sure winner. if you go through water deep enough, no sube is waterproof, and it needs a way out.

they are tight. I did not keep welding 140 hours for bad engineering.

inski

Some of the earlier Bajas had the rocker drains clogged by the factory under coating. This sounds like whats happening to you. The bulletin for the Bajas was a long and elaborate description of just jamming a screw driver up into the openings on the rockers where they get pinch welded and twisting the screw driver. This clears the paint/undercoating and opens the holes a tiny bit bigger. All the Subarus have a similar drain system from the rockers.

If you look under your rockers (sideskirts might be in the way) you'll see several triangular openings all along the length of the rockers where the sheet metal joins the floor. Blow some air in each one and make sure they are clear. Rinse the rockers out if you can get a hose directed the right way. This sounds kind of serious. Bring it to your dealer, or Evergreen?

XDIRTYX

thanks guys, i told my dealer about it but any time it happens i dont have time to stop by. im sure the drain holes are just clogged like you said.

Latest posts

Back