WTB: Clutch and tires

Qsubarusti

I need 2 front tires mine are completely bald and the road starts to pull my car left and right. 225/50/17 (I think I might of wrote that wrong but u get the idea)

also need a clutch mine is starting to go.....grinds into 3rd and has a hard time gettin into first.

pm me for price on tires and/or clutch.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
You really can't be puttng just 2 tires on a Subaru, unless you can find some that are within 2/32 tread of what the other 2 have.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Yikes! Yea, just replacing two tires will screw up your transmission bad.

Going into 1st while moving? No subaru likes that. Doesn't really sound like a clutch problem to me, bad clutches just slip under load/boost.

There's a possibility the clutch isn't disengaging all the way, that would cause problems getting into first and reverse from a stop. But you didn't say grinding going into reverse...

3rd sounds like worn/abused synchros...

Definitely not the clutch if your only problem is grinding into 3rd. Only way to get a lot of manual transmissions into 1st while moving is to double clutch. I would try double clutching into 3rd as well to see if that helps.

It really sucks to buy parts you didn't need and it end up being something else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
subaru drivetrain is very sensitive about tire diameter due to way center diff is set up. if tires are not exactly same diameter (or within 2-3/32nds) front to back and side to side it will accelerate wear on very expensive parts in the trans. many owners have tried to cheap out on tires only to pay big bucks later in trans repairs.

car should downshift to 1st with just a bit of hesitation, tho don't try it much above 5mph. it's not a switch, you need to let synchros speed up a bit to match revs. as posted above, double-clutching helps. if it's crunching on upsift to 3rd, it's very likely the synchros are tired.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
ive checked the car out, the clutch is smoked. the difficulty going into gear feels like other sti's ive worked on and the clutches were junk. his back tires are just about brand new so 2 newer 225/45/17's will be ok. Q untill you can get new tires, run the dccd in manual mode all the way unlocked, it will help prevent transmission damage from the rolling diameters being different.

Qsubarusti

You really can't be puttng just 2 tires on a Subaru, unless you can find some that are within 2/32 tread of what the other 2 have.
I have 2 brand new tires that I got off a friend now I need to find another 2, but as for the whole clutch situation, im just baseing it off of what mikey said, when he took my car for a test drive after fixing my check engine light.

im a complete and utter subie noob I need a mentor or something

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Lol, Mikey can help teach you a few things. Just listen to him. We just wanted to make sure you weren't wasting money/going to mess up your car. But you're in good hands.

Qsubarusti

k k....this is all useful info for me, I've never had an awd car so this is a big help....im trying to save up some money for a new clutch and the labor but with a kid, bills, and having a girlfriend, my workers comp check just isn't cutting it....

Latest posts

Back