WTB new motor for my Fozzie

SurlyOBS

Yeah, so I killed my motor on the dirt drive yesterday. Not sure what blew up inside, but it seized right up after making an unholy racket. So I need a 2.5 motor to drop into my 2000 Forester. I'm looking for something that I can put right in with as little work as possible. Don't care about the mileage as long as I can get my car running again. If the head gaskets and timing belt were done previously that'd be great-hey, I can dream right?

Let me know if you've got one or know where one is.

spartan5

Just went through this myself...bummer for ya man. Will do some digging around my neck of the woods to see if I can find one for ya.

SurlyOBS

Just went through this myself...bummer for ya man. Will do some digging around my neck of the woods to see if I can find one for ya.
Did you get your car running again? If so, any tips or tricks you know would be useful.

Thanks!

spartan5

It really depends on what went boom inside the motor,I nuked the the block,roasted pistons,all the jazz,trying to keep up with a REX,and ended up rebilding the lower block,goes good now,still in the real feeling out stages of it now,that and what got that motor toasted is why I am learning it really doesn't pay to push older motors playing with the big boys....have you narroed down to what actually crapped the bed on ya???

SurlyOBS

It really depends on what went boom inside the motor,I nuked the the block,roasted pistons,all the jazz,trying to keep up with a REX,and ended up rebilding the lower block,goes good now,still in the real feeling out stages of it now,that and what got that motor toasted is why I am learning it really doesn't pay to push older motors playing with the big boys....have you narroed down to what actually crapped the bed on ya???
I have no idea yet what happened to it yet, but everyone on the Dirt Drive said it sounded HORRIBLE as I sputtered past them as it died. I'm going to just try and put in a different used engine and then I can figure out what went wrong with it. I know that driving a 190K motor at 4500-6500 RPM all day rallying on snowy roads for 200+ miles is what did it. I definitely should have used third gear more instead of second...
default_angry.png
It sure was fun driving in the powerband trying to keep Nigel in sight.

spartan5

Sounds like the same racket mine made before she went tick tick boom.... You are most likely better off pulling the whole thing out,and starting fresh,ya never know what went to hell in there,and it would give you something to rebuild down the road,if it was salvagable,to have ready to put in if something went south again,OR ,you could build it abit and have some fun with it. Too bad though,I love that Fozz,had a blast test driving it,and most likely woulda bought it from Chris had you not picked it up,good luck finding a motor,like I said,if I find anything you could use up this way,I'll give you a shout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
I know that driving a 190K motor at 4500-6500 RPM all day rallying on snowy roads for 200+ miles is what did it. I definitely should have used third gear more instead of second...
default_unsure.png
It sure was fun driving in the powerband trying to keep Nigel in sight.
Nigel = guilty...ahem no not really. Think of it this way -- at least yer motor died doing something it was particularly good at....haulling DONK down lil slippy back roads.

honkin on in 2nd at 30-50 mph has one beneficial side effect, car goes like stink when you gas it, but when ya lift all 4 wheelz slow u down better than ABS.

And/or/also...lifting off from hi revs in a low gear while u are turnin in pitches the car sideways, you suss out the turn ahead, and then as soon as possible you Get Back On the Gas and start to lose whoever is following somewhere back in yer dust.

did I mention that the Eric Benson Dirt Drive wuz a blast. heh, except there was no dirt, after 200+ snow miles the cars came out pretty durn clean.

Last edited by a moderator:

spartan5

Also,if you decide to go a totally different path and wanna get rid o' the Fozz,gimme dibs on it,as I actually developed a serious crush on em as a result of driving yours,and I have a couple different paths I could take with that beast.

SurlyOBS

Nigel = guilty...ahem no not really. Think of it this way -- at least yer motor died doing something it was particularly good at....haulling DONK down lil slippy back roads.

honkin on in 2nd at 30-50 mph has one beneficial side effect, car goes like stink when you gas it, but when ya lift all 4 wheelz slow u down better than ABS.

And/or/also...lifting off from hi revs in a low gear while u are turnin in pitches the car sideways, you suss out the turn ahead, and then as soon as possible you Get Back On the Gas and start to lose whoever is following somewhere back in yer dust.

did I mention that the Eric Benson Dirt Drive wuz a blast. heh, except there was no dirt, after 200+ snow miles the cars came out pretty durn clean.
No worries Nigel, I was actually complementing your driving. I wish I could drive as well as you do. I'll get more comfortable with driving the Fozzie once it's fixed. I was driving my car HARD all day, something was bound to break and at least no one was hurt.

I was amazed at how I'd be behind you and then suddenly you would be gone off the front in about three turns
default_unsure.png
And I know you were taking it easy that day too! Wow.

SurlyOBS

Also,if you decide to go a totally different path and wanna get rid o' the Fozz,gimme dibs on it,as I actually developed a serious crush on em as a result of driving yours,and I have a couple different paths I could take with that beast.
You can have dibs, but you might have to wait a LONG time. I'm loving the Foz and it's going to Meyagi's tomorrow to get fixed and I'll probably keep it for a long while after it's up and running again.

I'm curious: What would you do with it?

spartan5

well I got a eg33 all ready to be dropped into something,at the moment it's going into an OBS next spring,but in that Toaster of yours it would be ohhh so nice! A little off topic,but would you ever consider selling that shift knob Inski had on it,or consider trading it for a Momo knob??? I love the fact that it's so small...

SurlyOBS

Well, this thread can be closed now b/c I found a motor and Mikey Meyagi already swapped it into the Fozzie.

Spartan: I might be interested in trading knobs, the metal one is really cold this winter, and I know that it'll be really hot in the summer. Send me a pic of what you have.

Latest posts

Back