WTF My car is vibrating.

GClark

I wanted to know what you guys thought this was before I run off to see Shorty(and some free popcorn:)).

Since last week, whenever I first drive my car after its been sitting for a night,day, whatever, will vibrate. Almost enough to shake the wheel. Its veerrry notciable. It also sometimes gets worse as I slow down . Im thinkin bad rotors or uneven tire wear? But then it goes away after driving it for awhile.

Also, I just had my springs adjusted.

makes me
default_biggrin.png

GClark

Thanks Ill go check those now.

After you put new springs in, they have to be adjusted in some way. At least that's what I think I payed for:idk:

Apollyon12

I know that my tires seem to develop flat spots on them overnight. It's more noticeable in the cold weather but goes away in the first 5-10 min.

Nate

Founding Father
After you put new springs in, they have to be adjusted in some way. At least that's what I think I payed for:idk:
uhhh. where did you PAY to have this done???

your not talking about an alignment are you? your wheels need to be aligned after a spring install.

im going to guess something loose.... wheels or struts. OR you never got an alignment after your spring install and the inside of your front tires looks like swiss cheese.

GClark

Im sorry, I meant to say alignment or actually in those sentences aligned. I couldn't think of the word

The Tire having flat spots deffiantly seem to cause the first problem, but the steering wheels still vibrated when stopping, especially when stopping from a higher speed. Are the Brakes going? Is time to upgrade to some nice big ones:D

edit: just double checked the tires, not swiss cheese thankfully
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate

Founding Father
if its vibrating when braking.... and shaking the wheel.... sounds like you have a fron rotors that's warped. think about having the rotors truned (if they have enought meat left) or go get some new factory rotors from EG. cant beat the quality. and upgrade pads with new stainless steel lines.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
stock stuff, CORRECTLY installed and tuned > aftermarket "bettAr" stuff tacked on as a hack job...every single time.

how many times have ppl tried to "upgrade" their cars only to make it worse?

trying to diagnose stuff based on partial info from a forum is silly...fun but ultimately silly

who knows what the ppl who did your spring swap did or did not put back together correctly ???
default_wink.png
default_smile.png
:)
default_additional_iam.gif
:iam:

OK, do I make myself clear here
etc

default_wink.png

GClark

hahaha yeah:iam:.

M and A installed them and Evergreen aligned(not adjusted) them. Im goin to go see them today, brakes check, etc...

Does the steel lines really make that much of a difference? Ive looked into them, but I haven't heard what people say, just the companies. Their supposed to make them less squishy right?

ruggedman

Dont bother with stainless lines unless your stock ones are on their way out. They dont do that much.

My car has a similar problem, it's called disc thickness variation. If you take a caliper to the brake rotor its thicker in some spots than others. This makes the car shake when you apply the brakes firmly at high speed and makes a pulsing feeling as you slow to a stop (at like a red light). New pads and rotors will fix it. I'm just waiting for my stock stuff to wear out a little more before i do it.

Also if you frequently take your wheels on and off and dont use the proper torque you can actually warp your rotors. That's another potential area for problems.

I'm not much for getting rotors turned, but you can always try that first.

inski

x2, they just get warped even quicker than the last time, but it saves people money short term so I do it

GClark

Thanks for the help guys! I am currently at Evergreen and their turning my rotors. I hope this stop the vibrating!

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
slight vibrating when cold? I have never had a car that didn't do this. Even a tractor trailer does it. I blamed maine anbd being too dramnatic for sheet metals and spring steel and everything else with a denstity shipped to the world as tough enough. Soft tread tires wear down quick, but it is comfortable in this subject. The tougher the car/truck with tough tread..they all do the same thing. Subes have been in the tougher realm for decades driving people to these questions. I wouldn't trade it for much.

Back