xtp stage 2 with launch control

04Exploder

what does it actually do. for example higher boost. what does it improve? who is running it. and what do you think?

internalcombust

Hop on youtube and check out subaru launch control as well as subaru stage 2. There will be plenty of videos of both to give you an idea what is going on.
default_confused.gif

ralli

what does it actually do. for example higher boost. what does it improve? who is running it. and what do you think?
Well he should have his definitions for the mods that his Stage 2 encompasses. Generally that would be a Downpipe at a minimum among other things. If you were thinking about it for you, and you have a VF39 as your SN says, likely this would not be for you. Unless specified it would be for a stock turbo.

The Launch Control works just like the standard Rev limiter. It is a patch that was applied to the rom, there is a free LC patch out there for open source folks that have a 16 bit ECU (and for the 32 bit one there is one that costs a few bucks but you can also get Flat Foot Shifting and such). Basically you adjust the speed at which below that speed the rev limiter is whatever you set it at. So your settings could be that below 5mph the rev limiter is 4000 rpm.

The XPT maps as I've heard seem to be very good. The individual that does these puts in a lot of work to them. Nothing is quite as good as a map that was made just for your particular car and mods, but these are about as close as it comes. (IMO)

ralli

i had the vf39 but i sold it like a idiot
Nah.. I'm sure it was awesome but.. sometimes
default_banana.gif
happens with the mods, I understand.

Just and FYI... be careful with Launch Control for the obvious reasons. (not to mention spooling at 12mph in a school zone in the rain never goes well)
default_confused.gif

Mark

???

a stage 2 tune makes the car run more agressive with higher boost levels to take advantage of mods you may or may not have/sold. for a wrx you need a downpipe, an uppipe, and a K&N filter.

launch control makes it so that at the drag (and only at the drag!!!1!) you can floor the gas in first and it brings the RPMs to hover around where it's supposed to for a succesful launch, as well as priming the turbo at around 10psi.

launch control on an 05 wrx would probably mean transmission problems and clutch failure.

Mark

if you launch...only at the drag. seriously don't launch on the street. it's stupid and pointless. frankly it's bad for the car on the strip too, but at least it's in a semi responsible atmosphere

ralli

???
a stage 2 tune makes the car run more agressive with higher boost levels to take advantage of mods you may or may not have/sold. for a wrx you need a downpipe, an uppipe, and a K&N filter.

launch control makes it so that at the drag (and only at the drag!!!1!) you can floor the gas in first and it brings the RPMs to hover around where it's supposed to for a succesful launch, as well as priming the turbo at around 10psi.

launch control on an 05 wrx would probably mean transmission problems and clutch failure.
It doesn't mean Transmission problems and clutch failure automatically. I ran the launch control for a season of autox on my 04 and have no problems and I'm still on the original clutch at 104k miles.

But let me add, I do agree the launching on the street is pointless and dangerous, and launching in general can cause problems... but not always

Last edited by a moderator:

04Exploder

thanks guys for all the input, you may have saved me some money in the long run. please add anything else if you think of anything else. if i do bring it to the track, what should be the rpms i should set launch control at?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
???

I don't think you will gain any boost unless anti-lag is tuned in for the launch control. The bouncing off the low rev limiter will get you about wastegate pressure I believe. it won't be like full on WRC launch control.

04Exploder

whats "wrc" i saw a video with a 2005 wrx with launch control and his boost gauge said 10 psi before he launched....anyways when i get staged two do i set the launch control rpm from the computer? what should i set it too

ralli

You can build some boost without anti-lag, but it is minimal. The biggest thing is consistency. A lot of the reason I had it was with it I could not get carried away on a big run at the end of the day trying to get a great launch and accidentally launch at 5 grand (I generally kept mine pretty low). The consistency is generally a big deal for Bracket racers as well.

On a side note, I believe the only year that had it was the 2002 ECU (I think) but you could adjust the timing on the rev limiter and you could almost get an anti-lag effect with the launch control. It was kind of neat (not at all good for the car).

As for an RPM it all depends. The higher you go the more likely you are to break stuff. Plus surface and other conditions apply as well (tire size, type, etc etc).

04Exploder

now i know stage 2 all you need is downpipe uppipe and k&n, i have all that and i have headers, is that gonna benifit me too.

COSTIGAN86

I have launch control and flat-foot shifting on my LGT. Launch control was fun for like 3 days but its pretty useless unless drag racing. You just look like a D-bag when you're sitting at a stop light at 5500 RPM. Flat-foot shifting is much more useful.

ralli

now i know stage 2 all you need is downpipe uppipe and k&n, i have all that and i have headers, is that gonna benifit me too.

It all depends on what you want and what turbo you have. I've seen data that aftermarket headers actually cause the turbo to spool more slowly, but I believe top end is increased. PnP'd stock headers gives you some better flow for the top end, which not losing as much in the spooling. The decreased spool time is a much bigger deal for the 2.0 motor than the 2.5l.

Back