Snow? What's snow?....

COSTIGAN86

Have to? You mean people don't go out in the thick of it by choice?
default_rolleyes.gif
Some Do
default_biggrin.png

i-wagon

being his first winter in maine, it might be wise to get at least an aggressive all season. I got the angry winterforces, cuz I'm the crazy guy mid blizzard driving to work to plow the streets of auburn, and drifting in my field:D

Fozzy

ha oh because OBS Chris and I were outside in the lot looking (more like dreaming
default_wink.png
) at the rex's and xt's. I noticed the MS sticker in the window so i just had to ask
default_wink.png

krazykarpenter

its all up to you man, I run high-performance all seasons, Goodyear Eagle GT's. I ran the re-92's, the ones that I believe came stock on the 08 rex, correct me if I am wrong, and they were fine in the winter, but like most said as long as you have decent tread. I have not tried my eagles yet in the winter, but have heard that they are fine. However, since you have never driven in snow I might recommend snow tires, that is unless you like to have some fun in your car or are confident in your driving ability.

ReZDoG

I'm not ReZPunk
I'm running the Goodyear Eagle GT, if this morning is any indication on how they are in the snow/ice, I'm putting my Studded Snows on now! I've never had a tire turn me sideways on ice like these ones do!! BTW, every bridge was Icey this morning up here in the Bangor area... poor fire depts were running 10-55s from 3am on.. heh

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
If your coming from a warm climate and dont have any snow experiance do yourself a huge favor and get a set of snows. Dunlops, blizzaks, or generals work awesome. Not only will your car be an absolute blast to drive when it snows(more fun then the summer) but you will be less stressed more confident and safer. Trust me its worth it.

Kristof

Banned
you can try it out but if you have some extra money buy some cheap snow tires atleast till you experince one winter here then judge for yourself if you need them for future winters. i live in a hilly area so they are a must. if your closer to coast or southern maine u dont 100% need them

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
running dedicated snow tires is not 100% required, but it makes such a big difference.... it's like sure, you could play golf with your grampa's old clubs, but you'd enjoy it so much more (and you'd have a better score) with new stuff. you can ski on any old ****e rental gear, but will have SO much more fun on equipment suited to local conditions and to your own skill level etc etc if you are an enthusiast driver, it's a no-brainer. with good snows, winter roads are no longer something to fear, and instead become your playground....not to mention it's safer having your wife drive the Suby downtown for groceries.

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
If your coming from a warm climate and dont have any snow experiance do yourself a huge favor and get a set of snows. Dunlops, blizzaks, or generals work awesome. Not only will your car be an absolute blast to drive when it snows(more fun then the summer) but you will be less stressed more confident and safer. Trust me its worth it.
+100
default_additional_ygm.gif

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
The poor kids are getting mixed messages! Unfortunately, there isn't a post here I dissagree with...except maybe the southern maine thing...if you live in new england, it snows. Maybe the roads are better kept and instead of the 10" Bangor gets, York gets 8".....its all basically the same. I've lived in southern Maine for 8 years, Augusta for 3...not much difference in the middle of winter.

Buck Rogers

Definitely get the snows, but remember, turning and stopping will still be dicey if your going TOO FAST. Driving on unplowed roads with over six inches of snow, or starting from a stopped position on a grade, there is no comparison with all season. I drove out of my driveway (actually a private road) through a foot of snow last winter with General Grabbers, no problem at all.

AZ-2-ME

Ok it looks like I will be getting a set of snows to go on the Subi. I am confident in my abilities not to be an A-hole on the streets when the conditions are bad but like a few have said on here you may as well get a set of Nike's instead of the walmart shoes if you can afford them. They both work but the experience is going to be a lot different.

Thanks for all of the input. Four pages worth!
default_additional_ygm.gif

LGHT SBR

I'm putting my snows on Monday. Yes it's a little too early, but last the two seasons I've been too late! I don't want to take the chance now that I have a summer tire on now instead of my old allseasons. Snow tires on an AWD are great compared to running allseaons year round. They were the first thing I bought for my car after I got it in the middle of the winter 2 years ago.

Latest posts

Back