The Official MS Bike Talk Thread - motors need not apply

smosh

Are there any good MTB trails around down here? I used to ride daily up in Orono on some of the sickest singletrack a few of my friends built.
Where is "down here"? There are many, many trails that connect (or pseudo-connect) in Cape/SoPo. More are added every year. The RAGE link shagginwagon posted has a rudimentary map of the Hinckley loop. RAGE does Tuesday night rides (TNR) all season and it's more of a pickup thing at other times during the week.

If you want to come out to Cape sometime I can run around for an hour or so; that's all the stamina I've got now.

mikebike357

Smosh! You're alive!
default_biggrin.png

I'd love to go for a Cape E/SoPo tour on the MTB's... SoPoSube might even be up for it too!

ruggedman

Are there any good MTB trails around down here? I used to ride daily up in Orono on some of the sickest singletrack a few of my friends built.
Where is "down here"? There are many, many trails that connect (or pseudo-connect) in Cape/SoPo. More are added every year. The RAGE link shagginwagon posted has a rudimentary map of the Hinckley loop. RAGE does Tuesday night rides (TNR) all season and it's more of a pickup thing at other times during the week.

If you want to come out to Cape sometime I can run around for an hour or so; that's all the stamina I've got now.
Portland, but any trail systems in the area would work. I'm not in great shape either still. I'm not capable of the 8hour epic rides we used to do up NOTH, but discovering trails is wicked fun. Maps, directions to trail heads are all I need really. What kind of rides are there around here? Rocky? Rooty? Should i bring my shin guards if i go? More XC flowing kind of rides? Or are they the Allmountain stuff? I like both, but i'm really craving technical riding right now since i've spent so much time on pavement lately :-[

4WRXter

Skier!
You guys down in the Portland area will obviously know a lot more about it than me but I was told of and rode some trails in back of I think it is called Evergreen Cemetary? I can't remember the street it is on, but near the Westbrook exit. A few walking/biking trail out toward the back of the cemetary. Not great, but not bad for a quick couple hours. I'll try to find my Portland city map and get a little more specific later on.

Has anyone been to Bradbury yet this season? I have never been there but I have a friend that used to live in Topsham and ride there a lot. I want to get there this summer. He was telling me just last night about some trails in/around Biddeford?? Does anyone know about that?

If you want miles of singletrack xc, take a trip to East Burke VT and the Kingdom Trails, http://www.kingdomtrails.com. A fee is charged and it gets busy at times but they have over 100 miles of trails. Some pedal up to, downhill and freeride stuff up on Burke Mtn Ski Area.

Also highly recommend going to Barre VT and check out Millstone Hill trails. A bunch of riding around old granite quarrys. Pay to ride here too. It's cool stuff too. 

mikebike357

I haven't been up to Bradbury yet this year but they put in a TON of new trails last year.

Another place to ride in Portland is the River Trail which starts right off Washington Ave. It's right off the turnpike... park at the Hannaford then ride down Washington Ave to the river, cross teh river (on a bridge), and duck into woods on the left or right side of the road. From what I hear, the right side of the road is more technical. I've only done the left side on night rides last fall. Nothing like riding at night, hearing water going by and not being able to see it. EEch...

ShagginWagon

The Rage guys have a great Urban loop that hits a lot of the 'round town portland trails. Good if you're outta shape. There are also trail maps on the site for Aggie, Hinckley/Robinson, etc. Pretty mellow group.

I went to bradbury last weekend and it was dry and fast. Of course, after this rain, who knows.

ruggedman

You guys down in the Portland area will obviously know a lot more about it than me but I was told of and rode some trails in back of I think it is called Evergreen Cemetary? I can't remember the street it is on, but near the Westbrook exit. A few walking/biking trail out toward the back of the cemetary. Not great, but not bad for a quick couple hours. I'll try to find my Portland city map and get a little more specific later on.

Has anyone been to Bradbury yet this season? I have never been there but I have a friend that used to live in Topsham and ride there a lot. I want to get there this summer. He was telling me just last night about some trails in/around Biddeford?? Does anyone know about that?

If you want miles of singletrack xc, take a trip to East Burke VT and the Kingdom Trails, http://www.kingdomtrails.com. A fee is charged and it gets busy at times but they have over 100 miles of trails. Some pedal up to, downhill and freeride stuff up on Burke Mtn Ski Area.

Also highly recommend going to Barre VT and check out Millstone Hill trails. A bunch of riding around old granite quarrys. Pay to ride here too. It's cool stuff too.

mikebike357

I've read about Vietnam Woods in DirtRag quite a while ago. I think it was an article about how housing is starting to butt up against it and threatens the park... but IIRC some people raised money to buy the land. Hmmm...

ShagginWagon

Evergreen is a pretty small section. I doubt that you could spend hours in there (unless you went REALLY slow). It's close to a couple of other great riding spots (the out of bounds Fore River Sanctuary and parts of the presumscott river trail). Great rock riding in the back sections.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Stevens+Ave,+Portland,+Cumberland,+Maine,+United+States&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.778911,61.523437&ie=UTF8&cd=1&ll=43.675321,-70.295248&spn=0.032839,0.060081&z=14&om=1

4WRXter

Skier!
http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m249/wannarex/NC%20GA%20vaca%20pix%2007/

I'm not sure this link works, but it is pix from our trip to NC. There are like 65 shots. Briefly, we hauled our 24' travel trailer to Brevard, NC. Rode our mtn bikes mostly in Pisgah National Forest for a week. Then we went to Tsali near Bryson City NC for two days where there are some well publicized trails about 45 miles from Tail of the Dragon. So close but I din't think it would be much fun in my GMC 1500 hauling a camper. Then we went to my parents' in northern GA and found some trails.

Pisgah Nat. Forest is over 1,000,000 acres of forest. I think I read somewhere there are over 250 miles of trails (and that probably includes fire roads) you can bike on. Western NC is beautiful. I cant tell you how much I would recommend any true mtn biker to go there.

prez25rs

Well one of the good things about living in Bar Harbor is that I get to use the carriage trails a lot. I did like 130 miles over the last 2 weeks, not too much to some people but i was happy.
default_biggrin.png

But i am looking to buy a road bike. I have a friend that might be selling a used one, i forget what it is now but i'll post up in a few days what it is. I know that it was 4 digits new so its a good one

prez25rs

OK the bike i might be able to buy is a Lemond Buenos Aires. I think '03, steel, full ultegra. I can probably get it for 650ish. Good deal?

mikebike357

That's a pretty good deal. LeMond makes nice frames. Ultegra is good stuff. You may just wanna re-cable it so it's all fresh!!
default_smile.png

prez25rs

Now all i have to do is decide what i want more, that bike or JDM seats. Or option C, skip some bills and get both
default_smile.png

ShagginWagon

Sad day! Cyclemania found two cracks in my Colonel XLite. Which means, even under warantee, 6-8 months to get a new frame. I didn't know Ti COULD crack...

What a pain in the ass. Looks like I'm all roadie for bit...

T

prez25rs

I R dumb. Just went for a 19 miler at noon lol, its over 80 degrees here (im sure its much hotter inland or in southern maine). I drained my 1.5 L camelback. Besides almost dying of heat exhaustion i felt really good though

Latest posts

Back