1.8 turbo

KamB

Kam Berry
I didn't even bother reading all that. I have half the crap already. All the tools. Welder, hoist, saws to make angled cuts for piping, spare motor parts, turbo, some piping, intercooler is coming soon really cheap. This isn't my first big project.. Just the first one with a turbo on it. Access to the parts isn't an issue. I'm at about 50 in parts already including the turbo. Yes, if I build a nice and pretty turbo setup to go in all the sweet road cars I see on here, yea that's more expensive then me chopping up pipes, doing a lot of Welding and custom bends and angles. I'm not trying to do a cheap build like mike did, I don't have the resources. All the fittings I should need I have to run the oil lines, already have found where I'm going to tap into the motor for that. Most expensive part of this entire build will be a wideband, time isn't a consideration, I have another truck and an antique I guess I could daily drive at 5 mpg lol. Ill be honest about prices. If it goes over 400, ill admit it and tell where it did and why. If I didt have a figure in mind as my budget I would go overboard easily.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
people who have been working with subarus for a lot longer then you try to give you advice and you didnt bother reading it...

well good luck to you, i have nothing else to add here.

KamB

Kam Berry
Look at what I said, I said "all that". Did I read the advice on the 2.2's? 2.5 heads? Yea, but why bother fully reading or replying to people saying good luck for that price? Won't change what I'm doing or trying to do. I actually spent a fair amount of time last night researching a couple things mentioned in those posts, appreciate all the advice more then u realize, just not going to bother dealing with the "you can't do that" type of responses.

All that does is piss me off when I get responses of that nature, hence the short tempered response...

I have seen a few people who have bought a car that has been swapped using a wideband and what seems to be a thrown together setup using ebay parts, and whatever else they can get. They all have had issues. Here is one link:

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26876

You may be able to originally do the build for $400. What happens after you get it running and if there are problems will decide what you really put into it. Doing a major project like this needs to have a high degree of uncertainty built into it. This is one of the reasons I don't have a turbo charged car, a friend of mine said something about it using a Saab turbo he has, then I did the research.

GClark

I wanted to turbo/supercharge my OBS back in the day. I felt that messing with my reliable DD was a bad idea however, so I bought a touring wagon for a project car instead. Then I sold the reliable DD for a turbo Integra. I'm not sure where I was going with this.

Get another car before you mess with your DD, there will be complications with a turbo project and having a back up car will be extremely helpful.

KamB

Kam Berry
Oh yea it's going to be an ongoing project, probaby consisting of a few side of the road repairs
default_tongue.png
and yeah I do have another dd. that was a huge part of me wanting to do this. Going to court to probably lose my license in a few hours here for a month so that's been another big motivator. I bought the car so cheap so if I can have a few good rips around before I blow the motor/trans/ entire car to peices that's the minimum of what I would consider a successful build... Meaning that it drove Hahahah. I'm gonna research what Bryan suggested tho for sure, see what and why other builds failed, see if I can eliminate all their major problems before they arise...

Meyagi

I'm a hack
if i were to take the time to build a car and it only lasted a few rips before it blew up, i would consider that an utter failure. but that's just me. if im going to invest time, effort, and money, i sure as hell want it to last a considerable amount of time.

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
Yeah, but what do you know Mike, you've only been building/ swapping cars for years and have turned out plenty of quality work. Hardly qualified to comment on a 1.8 build.

kblood477

i am very interested in this . the guy with the 255 whp 1.8 didnt really have to do all that much i think its do able. good luck

i am very interested in this . the guy with the 255 whp 1.8 didnt really have to do all that much i think its do able. good luck
I urge you to read his parts list again. He did a lot to get to 255 whp. These engines put down about 70 whp in their stock form.

kblood477

he did everything the right way if you have a bunch of spare parts around . its not really a big deal . just the engine management. the rest could all be used parts mostly .

KamB

Kam Berry
I was planning to start it once I lost my license. Well, the cop filed it
default_smile.png
so I'm awaiting my second court date. Everyday gets me more ideas and more knowledge about how to do it so honestly waiting awhile won't be bad. My second date should be soon. It's for 65 in a 35... Probaby won't be filed. So as soon as that happens ill start the build. Ill post on here when I start if anyone in the area is interested in coming by and checking it out.

I will say that if this doesn't work out in the end you should find a n/a 2.2 to put in. I drove my cousins OBS and it goes along much better then my 1.8

KamB

Kam Berry
I will say that if this doesn't work out in the end you should find a n/a 2.2 to put in. I drove my cousins OBS and it goes along much better then my 1.8
I'm getting a 2.2 soon. Do I do a 1.8 with 2.2 heads and boost it? Or a 2.2 With 1.8 heads and take the higher compression and just drive it for what it's worth? Haha I have a 350 sbc for sale. If that sells ill go from there.

KamB

Kam Berry
My 1.8's just so weak. Makes it tough drifting. I'm out with 2.5's, 2.2t's, and have to keep up in a 200,000 1.8 hahah

Latest posts

Back