1.8L

GClark

Tuning for what? 1.8 are already pretty maxed out with a massive 110hp already. However, people have had success with a mild turbo build on the 1.8, search on rs25 for more info..

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
subaru inc.

is the engine retarder...

the ej18 should be 160

ej20 200

ej25 225

find an natural alfa33 on you tube and be shocked and awed.

the ea series subes is also a joke about 90hp...could hit 180 for 20 years at a time.

110hp is the little country called japan.

the na rs ej crowd shoulda had these things hacked up by now.. but the internet wouldn't keep it there long if they did (true story)

ever see the 2wd ea82 scream a 10 second run?

keep after stuff if you are mechanically inclined. pre obd2 is a sensor tricker to get a bit more flowing...and if you know ecus, there is a hack internally on the first power resistor.

and the cat. it is terrible.

SAINT95

subaru inc.

is the engine retarder...

the ej18 should be 160

ej20 200

ej25 225

find an natural alfa33 on you tube and be shocked and awed.

the ea series subes is also a joke about 90hp...could hit 180 for 20 years at a time.

110hp is the little country called japan.

the na rs ej crowd shoulda had these things hacked up by now.. but the internet wouldn't keep it there long if they did (true story)

ever see the 2wd ea82 scream a 10 second run?

keep after stuff if you are mechanically inclined. pre obd2 is a sensor tricker to get a bit more flowing...and if you know ecus, there is a hack internally on the first power resistor.

and the cat. it is terrible.
little confuse so do I have 110hp or 160hp

He is saying what the engines should make not what Subaru actually allows them to make. It is well known that engines are never tuned to their full potential from the factory. That is why changing intake and full exhaust systems result in decent power gains. To follow emissions they are run on the lean side. Gasoline engines = dirty. Everyone gives diesel a bad name because they see the smoke which is "full" of carcinogenic particulates. The truth is gasoline is worse then a diesel. Retard injection and add air/remove fuel are easy solutions. If one was to have the ECU reprogramed and put an air intake and catless exhaust one would find a decent power gain. But this = $$$$

SAINT95

He is saying what the engines should make not what Subaru actually allows them to make. It is well known that engines are never tuned to their full potential from the factory. That is why changing intake and full exhaust systems result in decent power gains. To follow emissions they are run on the lean side. Gasoline engines = dirty. Everyone gives diesel a bad name because they see the smoke which is "full" of carcinogenic particulates. The truth is gasoline is worse then a diesel. Retard injection and add air/remove fuel are easy solutions. If one was to have the ECU reprogramed and put an air intake and catless exhaust one would find a decent power gain. But this = $$$$
know any one that does ECU reprogramming? intake already have and they exhaust will be easy since im running a 05 2.5rs exhaust with a high flow cat.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
welllp, Boxer can claim "what the Subies should be makin" all he wants, but tuning gains on a Scooby N/A motor are going to be incremental at best. don't expect your 1.8 with an intake and exhaust and a lil ecu twiddle to give you WRX type power. the Subie factory puts the motors pretty much to the limits of what they can handle long term straight from the assembly line.

for example: we built a 2.5 N/A for the Last Ditch RS rally car, which turned out to be a very successful racer--one of the fastest non-turbo Scoobs on the North American rally scene. despite major tweaks like cams, intake, full race exhaust (aka straight pipes) , injectors, and a $3000 Link race ECU, it barely came up to the output of a stock WRX. It'd have been cheaper and far easier to have just swapped in the turbo motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Ignore boxers numbers. He is wrong.

Going to echo what Nigel said. Trying to get extra performance out of NA motors is pretty pointless. Your money would be better spent on other upgrades. Sure an intake and exhaust may net you a lil extra somethin, but not enough to be mind blowing. You can massage the internals and do other fun things, but those are better suited towards people doing race applications rather than DD'in.

Only way to make an NA motor fast is with cubic dollars.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Boxer talks nonsense, ignore what he says.

- My PSA for today...

Get better tires, suspension, and brakes. Make your car faster in corners and have fun
default_smile.png

Yeah, I agree. I didn't say you could get 160. Might be able to squeeze 115 out but that's at the crank not the wheels. More like 85 at the wheels.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
The easiest way to get better performance out of your ej18 is to swap an ej22 in

jbskidude

If you want more power it's cheaper to find a 2.2L engine and due the swap. easy swap. I rally x my 1.8L for a year. wanted more power so went 2.2L. so worth it. right now im winning my class and my main competitors are a rally evo with a big turbo and a A4 with turbo and engine has been chipped. So the 2.2L is definitely more power and plenty fun for Daily use.

GREASEMONKEY