2006 STi Build Thread

roadtrip1098

Haha, yeah that's mine. I just got the Fortune Auto 500 coil overs put in. It was a pain to get everything set, but I am very happy with the way it handles bumps now. I also swapped to a smaller water meth nozzle to pick my AFR's up a bit. I was using a lot of meth and running somewhat rich up top, now it's as perfect as I dare get it before tossing in the 850's - which I may tackle this weekend. It's hard to want to do any more work to it because I am so happy with it the way it sits.

roadtrip1098

Yes, I have the s techs sitting in my garage, thinking of tossing them on my wifes WRX hatch. She gets all the hand me downs. 

roadtrip1098

Update:

The Fortune Auto 500's are installed and are a great ride quality over even the stock suspension. I do have some clunks and rattles I need to track down. I am pretty sure it's not the coil overs.

I have also installed the 20G XTR which is a corker of a turbo. I love it. It spools almost as quickly as my 16G, but you can really feel the flow up top. Currently running ultra safe 19psi and a fairly rich map.

I also installed a water meth failsafe from AEM... that took a while because they sent me a bad sensor and I had to wait for an RMA. Come to find out it was assembled wrong from the factory. Anyways, I used the shipping time to relocate the battery to the trunk and relocate my water meth tank and pump to under the hood.

Because I was still bored, I tried my hand at making a gauge pod. It came out pretty darn good. I used clay to mold it to the clock pod and shape it into a dual gauge pod. I covered it in foil and laid a layer of fiberglass over it. after it dried, I test fit it, used bond glass to strengthen it, and sanded it down. I didn't have any sand paper at the house, or regular bondo, so it's still rough around the edges - but hell it looks pretty decent for a first time go at it. I may even try my hand at an engine cover  and trunk floor.

Ran into a slight issue with a knocking noise which had my heart in my throat for a couple days. I was getting ready to call it a main bearing and start looking at short blocks, but in a last ditch crap shoot of troubleshooting I unplugged my EBC, and the knocking went away. I plugged it back in and it came back. After cleaning the connection and the EBC, it's almost completely silent again. It's weird because from inside the car I would have sworn it was a main bearing.

roadtrip1098

**NOTE** I should mention, placing the water meth tank under the hood does cause it to get warmer. But is also reduces the lag time once the system kicks on. When the line ran the length of the car, it was a solid 1-2 seconds before the meth actually started spraying. Now the line is about 4ft long instead of 20ft and sprays within half a second. I'll take warm spray over no spray any day. I will be putting gold reflective tape on it, just like the intercooler, to combat heat soak.

roadtrip1098

I taught myself. Basically the first thing to learn is what gauges you need to be able to tune. You need at a minimum a wideband AFR gauge and accurate boost gauge. Once those are set up, go on the Romraider forums and there's a beginners guide to tuning. Read it, memorize and love it.

If you're just looking to add a little pep to it, you can tune the throttle if you're drive by wire to create the illusion that the car has more get up and go. This is nice because you can make the throttle feel more sensitive and like the car is responding quicker. Doing this is completely safe (if you aren't a fool) as it just simulates you stepping on the pedal quicker.  

Timing can be tweaked to make the engine actually respond quicker and if you only change it by 1-2 degrees and do some logging. Look for any knock and also watch on the log how long it takes between the throttle input changing and the engine gaining rpm, and how quickly the target AFR shifts. All of this can be used to see if you're actually getting faster response vs. seat of pants response.

Fueling is absolutely critical before you look at boost. You can adjust your target fueling to be 10.5 if you just want to crank the boost, but it may not be the most effective way to build HP. I find tuning a little more lean (I'm at 11.2 without water meth and about 11.6 with it) and with advanced timing, you get better response, the boost doesn't need to be as high to get the same results. Less boost means less heat and less pre-det (even with a leaner mix). You don't need to be an expert in flash points, octane, atomization, physics or any of that to tune. You just need a broad understanding of what it all is.

Here's a good starter article written in plain English talking about pre-ignition and detonation http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/detonation-preignition-tuning.html
I can't teach you how to tune because each car is different and responds to different tuning strategies.

roadtrip1098

Fix my lean part throttle stumble!!!
Fueling is a tricky sunuvabitch. What's you CL to OL delay set at? Sometimes the transition doesn't happen until you get further on the throttle and causes a quick lean condition - this is what I  and many others believe causes the famed #4 ring land to go.  It goes very lean under load, knocks, breaks a ring land.  One of the reasons so many WRX and STi blow up on the stock tune - especially 07+.

Another way is to map your throttle around the stumble. For instance if it only happens at 27% throttle but not at 26% or 28%, change the requested tq values for the 27% to match either 26 or 28. This will keep the car from ever seeing the conditions that cause the stumble. I've only ever read about the stumble, so I don't know exactly what the symptoms are or how severe it is. Luckily I've not had to worry about it (yet).

Latest posts

Back