2013 STI Pulling while under acceleration

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
heavy understeer is a very slow way thru a turn. even though you think you're coming in hot, you scrub off so much speed thru the understeer and steering corrections, you need all 300 hp to regain momentum. and even then you're all asses and elbows and all over the road.

better to get braking done in straight line, come into bend a little easier with less understeer, then roll back onto gas past apex to regain speed in a much more controllable fashion. smoothness is everything. choppy control inputs = choppy driving.

our most common line to students: "if you really do want to go faster, you need to start by slowing down."

i-wagon

heavy understeer is a very slow way thru a turn. even though you think you're coming in hot, you scrub off so much speed thru the understeer and steering corrections, you need all 300 hp to regain momentum. and even then you're all asses and elbows and all over the road.

better to get braking done in straight line, come into bend a little easier with less understeer, then roll back onto gas past apex to regain speed in a much more controllable fashion. smoothness is everything. choppy control inputs = choppy driving.

our most common line to students: "if you really do want to go faster, you need to start by slowing down."
This reminds me so much of the "driving school" in gram turismo. The somewhat driving simulatorSitting here thinking about it Dave is making a lot of sense

solowrx7

i definitely think what carter said is part of the issue,... i am going to post video of the issue later this week as it is pretty visible watching the wheel and the road and where the front of the car ends up going once off the gas...

drove the other sti today at the dealer...same deal... so again...this being my affordable dream car i may be expecting too much from the vehicle...

i am going to start upgrading the steering and suspension components and see if i can't get a better feel out of the car... and yes i am hyper-critical of my cars...

if anyone is in the area and wants tocheck it out let me know...maybe I'll try to get to the next group...

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
The most difficult students are the ones who cannot conceive that problems they're having are ones they're largely responsible for themselves. It's so easy to blame the car for shortcomings in their own techniques (and unrealistic expectations) behind the wheel.

Why is it that ppl seem to be so eager to throw $$$ and criticism at the car, but have such a hard time spending money on actually learning how to drive better?

Here's what bugs me about this situation. Subaru has spent millions of $$$ having some of the best chassis and powertrain engineers in the business develop the STI, and now you're ready to out-do those engineers and "make it better" without accepting one iota of responsibility for training yourself to take full advantage of what you've already paid for???

Excuse me, but I just don't get it.

Nigel/out.

solowrx7

i hate to be one of those people...but you have done nothing constructive with my input and have only commented on my ability to drive... or what you perceive to be an inability to drive...i don't care if you are a Ken Block superstar driving god... you can take your advice and criticism and put it all right back up a** as i'm sure that's where it came from... thanks to those who actually said something worth reading...

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
predictable response, feeling is mutual.

it's fine to be picky about your cars and want to improve them, it's a whole 'nother thing to be not be picky about your own talents and refuse to improve them. too bad in this case there isn't equal emphasis.

hate to be one of those people, but growing up on an island with dirt roads and getting to horse around a lot does NOT equal driver training. I've been driving, racing and rallying over 40 years, and have worked dligently over the last 15 to really learn what's going on with my car and the road (tarmac, snow, gravel, mud) by riding with and learning from some of the best drivers in the East.

you might be amazed at what you can learn if you try opening your mind instead of your mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apollyon12

You can lead a horse to water....

Congrates SoloWRX7, you are now an internet hero.   Unfortunately, not the type you were hoping for...

JLW7123

2005 legacy
predictable response, feeling is mutual.

it's fine to be picky about your cars and want to improve them, it's a whole 'nother thing to be not be picky about your own talents and refuse to improve them. too bad in this case there isn't equal emphasis.

hate to be one of those people, but growing up on an island with dirt roads and getting to horse around a lot does NOT equal driver training. I've been driving, racing and rallying over 40 years, and have worked dligently over the last 15 to really learn what's going on with my car and the road (tarmac, snow, gravel, mud) by riding with and learning from some of the best drivers in the East.

you might be amazed at what you can learn if you try opening your mind instead of your mouth.
ok off topic but were is the rally school your work at.  Do you have winter driving courses.

rally guy

Ok wow, an excellent tread with zero help!

Hello I am new here and got drag here as I bought a 2009 sti this summer and it does the exact same annoying thing.

The op question seem fairly simple he his not talking about fast driving, think of it as getting on the highway  , on the on ramp you accelerate from 30 to 60 to get on the highway.  Douing that 270º constant turn you steadily accelerate with the wheel turn at the same degree,  but wen you shift gear the car the looses momentarily that acceleration . Well me and the original poster and talking about this wen you momentarily losse your acceleration in that constant corner the car severely pulls inside the corner and then jumps outward wen you re accelerate.  Its quite unsettling! 

Now this must not be normal and i was also wondering what could be causing that. I have drove a lot of diffrent cars in my life and none have done that to this degree! Befor you bash in mh internet head in
default_tongue.png
and true suggest I don't know nothing about Subaru's and spirited driving, that I am breaking traction and " understeering" my gf has a 02 wrx ( witch means nothing I know) I had a 08 wrx that did not do that at all and did three and a half years in the Canadian rally championship,  witch two and a half season were  done on the national level in the open class with a 2004 sti that did not do anything like this.

Anyway I did not mean to be confrontational but I find kinda rude the response the op got so I tryd to clarify and I also hope to have good response as this kinda puzzles me why it does that.

Thank you

O and sorry for the tread revival
default_tongue.png

Matt

There's no way were going to be able to a accurately tell you why.... I work for Toyota and something like this would require hours of diagnostic/driving the car time to pinpoint the issue and correct it and in most cases I would consult with our Toyota rep and have him come out and figure it out with me. It's no like a check engine light where I can tell you to look at a b or c and try x. Bring it to Subaru and me them dig into it... At the very least it'll be documented

rally guy

There's no way were going to be able to a accurately tell you why.... I work for Toyota and something like this would require hours of diagnostic/driving the car time to pinpoint the issue and correct it and in most cases I would consult with our Toyota rep and have him come out and figure it out with me. It's no like a check engine light where I can tell you to look at a b or c and try x. Bring it to Subaru and me them dig into it... At the very least it'll be documented
Yeah but its expansive, I am wondering if its part of the designe ( would make no sence) or if its a unintended designe consequence.  Its really strange as my 08 wrx really didn't do this.

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
If you're concerned, I think you should take it to a shop.  We're not going to be able to help with this one over the internet.  Get the suspension checked for bent or worn out parts, and make sure it is aligned properly.  An alignment that is way off can cause odd handling behavior as corner weight changes through a turn, and based on your various inputs.  Soft sidewall tires or under inflated tires will also exacerbate this issue.  I would recommend reading Nigel's post in the beginning of this thread, so I don't repeat what he said, even though it sounds like you have some professional driving experience.  Speaking of which, who are you?  You mentioned being involved with the Canadian rally.

I will say that my 05 STI with gravel valved struts does this exact same thing, especially on winter tires on tarmac.  It's something I've adapted to, and always anticipate when driving hard in the corners.  In fact ,every car I've ever driven exhibits this behavior to some degree. 

Best of luck determining if it's normal or not.

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
P.S.  My $0.02 is that it's normal behavior for a 300hp AWD vehicle with independent suspension.

Latest posts

Back