3.0R outback

oh5xt

So I am looking at legacy outbacks and I have have seen a lot of 3.0R's for decent money, but I don't know really anything about that drivetrain so if anybody can give me some pros and cons I would greatly appreciate it!

i-wagon

Mother in law just got one. LL bean edition. Has the 5eat which I don't know much about, believe it's timing chain not belt. I consulted Joel about it before they bought it and he said the only real issues with them were oil leaks. Hers has 130k and doesn't really have any issues, but it it's fast!

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
I had an 01 VDC Outback 6 cyl. from new till I traded it in on my 13 XV. As far as the engine goes it was strong right up to the 228K it had when traded. Changed oil every 3k to 4K. Valve cover gaskets replaced at 166k. Front struts replaced at 200K. Harmonic balancer replaced at 224K. No problem with tranny. All major service done at Subaru. Reason for trading it was starting to rust away. Rear subframe was swiss cheese.

Note: I always used premium gas as recommended. I tried using 89 for a time and the performance and mileage went down.

Last edited by a moderator:

HR radness

His royal radness
It's a solid car, The drivetrain is decent with plenty of power but the stock struts on my wife's '05 LL bean outback are really soft and floaty.  No other options besides bilsteins from Japanland....$$$

Her's is about to turn 200K, bought it with 180K

widowmaker

It's a solid car, The drivetrain is decent with plenty of power but the stock struts on my wife's '05 LL bean outback are really soft and floaty.  No other options besides bilsteins from Japanland....$$$

Her's is about to turn 200K, bought it with 180K
Wouldn't  Bilsteins from a Spec B/3.0R work on an '05 Outback? 

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
I want an h6 someday.

The suspension im talking about is the Bilstein 5056 BTS package for the JDM outback and 3.0R.  It's $1,600 )current exchange rate) from Japanland but as I have read makes a world of difference

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bilstein-bts-outback-xt-kit-pictures-111880.html?amp;

when the budget allows I'm upgrading the wife's ride
Why not put it on aftermarket legacy struts/ stock springs and install lift blocks? Im willing to bet thatd save you a few hundred at least.

HR radness

His royal radness
Because KYB and Monroe are the only two companies that make struts for it and they are horribly under damped.

toddcinpittston

slow hooning
I think the term "under dampened" is subjective, is it to little for road racing? Sure? For being the family truckster/mom's grocery getter? Probably about right. For rock crawling? Its way to stiff. This and all cars sold on the american market are a compromise. They try to hit that sweet spot in the middle that makes them good enough for most things. A Corvette will need a stiffer suspension if you plan on doing the american LA Mans series, a Jeep wrangler will need work if you are going to run with the big boys off road. I guess my point here is, what are you expecting it to do? Would you buy a Harley Davidson FLH and think its going to be a great motor cross bike?

Latest posts

Back