4 pot question

woodys77

hhhhhmmm......are you trying to keep your brembos nice during winter months or are you un-happy with the stopping predictability of the brembos in cold wether? the oem pads dont work for **** in cold damp conditions i removed mine after rolling threw a few stop signs with both feet on the brake pedal. i am now running hawk hps pads and i am very happy with them, they are quiter and stop much better when they are cold. IDK about fitting those wrx cailpers????

Lawdawg

hhhhhmmm......are you trying to keep your brembos nice during winter months or are you un-happy with the stopping predictability of the brembos in cold wether? the oem pads dont work for **** in cold damp conditions i removed mine after rolling threw a few stop signs with both feet on the brake pedal. i am now running hawk hps pads and i am very happy with them, they are quiter and stop much better when they are cold. IDK about fitting those wrx cailpers????
No, I want to run smaller wheels with skinnier winter/snow tires, and the brembos do not allow for smaller wheels.

katnip

the car is black. I swear
I put them on an 04. which is still 5x100 and love them, with a good set of pads, they stop wayyyy better than the brembros. everyone that gets in it and brakes gets whiplash. do it if they will work on an 07. finding wheels that will fit over them is an issue to tho. 16" RS six spokes fit, 16" WRX wheels will not. steelies do not

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan

Are you gonna be selling your brembos? Wink wink
default_confused.gif

Lawdawg

I put them on an 04. which is still 5x100 and love them, with a good set of pads, they stop wayyyy better than the brembros. everyone that gets in it and brakes gets whiplash. do it if they will work on an 07. finding wheels that will fit over them is an issue to tho. 16" RS six spokes fit, 16" WRX wheels will not. steelies do not
Kathy, did you run the Brembo rears? I assume you also disabled ABS or put in a switch? Any other issues?

Still can't go to 15 inch wheels? Wow.... At leat I can go to 16s and a narrower wheel....I guess. Wonder what the rally crews run for gravel/winter set up? Smaller brakes than the 4 pots?

Any information helpful.

Thank you

Brett

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
typically rally prepped STIs run Group N brakes, which are smallish 4-pots that will work with certain hi-clearance (aka high priced) 15" rims like speedlines, enkeis, compomotive, team dynamics etc

even with the caliper 'downgrade' if you spec the right pads this setup offers plenty of brake, esp on lower grip surfaces like gravel or snow

patsti

NitrousFed
No, I want to run smaller wheels with skinnier winter/snow tires, and the brembos do not allow for smaller wheels.
Why would you need to do this? A stock wheel sti with 225 snow tires on it is amazing in the snow/ice. My STI was tons of fun with 225 45 17 snow tires... hell my g35 with 245 40 18's is great in the snow. I know it wont DIG in like the thin tires but...

Do you plan on racing it? If so It makes sense but if you are doing this for the street I really see no need for it at all.

As for stopping power an STI isn't far off from what a stock 2.5rs is as far as weight and other aspects... so even those brakes (2.5rs) will stop you just fine for most driving situations (not all).

Lawdawg

Why would you need to do this? A stock wheel sti with 225 snow tires on it is amazing in the snow/ice. My STI was tons of fun with 225 45 17 snow tires... hell my g35 with 245 40 18's is great in the snow. I know it wont DIG in like the thin tires but...Do you plan on racing it? If so It makes sense but if you are doing this for the street I really see no need for it at all.

As for stopping power an STI isn't far off from what a stock 2.5rs is as far as weight and other aspects... so even those brakes (2.5rs) will stop you just fine for most driving situations (not all).
Because a narrower tire puts more pressure per square inch on the surface than a wider tire and will help with traction and turn in. I spend at least a couple of weekends a winter at team O and play in the snow a lot on snow covered gravel roads. I have owned a bugeye and two STi's. The turn in on an STi in the snow is terrible with 225 tires--it pushes like a pig even if you can get the weight to transfer to the fronts. My bugeye was actually a much better handler in the snow with skinnier tires. Folks run skinnier tires in the snow for a reason.

I get around fine in every day driving with snows mounted on BBS. I am not a typical every day driver.

katnip

Kathy, did you run the Brembo rears? I assume you also disabled ABS or put in a switch? Any other issues?
Still can't go to 15 inch wheels? Wow.... At leat I can go to 16s and a narrower wheel....I guess. Wonder what the rally crews run for gravel/winter set up? Smaller brakes than the 4 pots?

Any information helpful.

Thank you

Brett
Brett,

I ran 205/55/16 Hakka RSi this winter on my STi. Loved them. Like Dave said, if you get a set of speedlines you will be able to go as small as 15's. The 205/55/16 is pretty good tho. It spent lots of time on the skid pad and slalom and good part of it with Al driving and he had no issues with them.

My STi came with the ABS "delete". Apparently, installing a switch for the ABS in the STi's screws with the diff and is not good for it. One of the previous owners is a tech for VT Car, so he "fixed" the ABS. So be cautious of installing ABS on/off switches in an STi.

kat

Lawdawg

OK, no switch for ABS, thank you. What are you running for rear brakes? I bought the 4 pots, now I am trying to figure out if i can run the brembo rears or find some 2 pot rears.....

Found a wheel on Special Stage called "Braid" for about $200 a pop at 15 inch and they say it clears 4 pots. Plans are coming together : )

katnip

OK, no switch for ABS, thank you. What are you running for rear brakes? I bought the 4 pots, now I am trying to figure out if i can run the brembo rears or find some 2 pot rears.....
Found a wheel on Special Stage called "Braid" for about $200 a pop at 15 inch and they say it clears 4 pots. Plans are coming together : )
I have the whole group n set up 4pots front 2 pot rear. almost anything will fit over the rears, but not the fronts. not sure if you can run grn front and stock rear. I have really good pads and the gravel brakes are BETTER than the brembros, they do screech most of the time though.

I checked on the braids, too, and they are supposed to fit, but so are comp's and I know folks who had to shave comps to fit over stock wrx brakes.

Lawdawg

Upon more research, this is actually going to be fairly involved. The ABS sends a signal to the diff. This alone is not a huge problem because it can be wired to be in manual mode all of the time (the DCCD). I presume you are in manual mode and have lost the "auto" mode for the diff. I think also that with your 2004, it is much different than a 2007, probably a few more mechanical bits and less electronic bits here and there. For example, I may run into brake proportioning issues because diabling the ABS also messes with the electronic brake proportioner. So I may need to get a manual proportioner or as I get into the brakes hard it will not send more pressure to the front relative to the rear. Jesus. I need to have a coffee with a rally team that has built a car from an 07 or spend some time on the phone with rocket rally or primitive. Not going to be as easy as i thought to downgrade brakse for smaller wheels and delete ABS.... Oh well, I have the whole summer to figure it out.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
hee hee, welcome to "Subaru Retrograde Engineering 101" !!??

your situation is doable, just not as neat n clean n simple as you might like

in building the LDR rally car, we took all the ABS out, removed brake booster, went to Tilton floor mounted pedal cluster and totally replumbed the brakes. Pedal is rock-hard now, but in the heat of battle the brakes work great. Main "proportioning valve" (excepting the tilton brake bias valve on line to rear brakes) is strength of driver's left foot and leg!

Latest posts

Back