89 XT-6 suspension question!

b13-t

So Ryan picked up and XT-6 to rip around his yard next winter, but the car sits too low, especially in the front! we need to be pointed in the right direction on how to get this thing higher, on a budget of course, without sacrificing safety/durability.. the original air suspension has already been swapped out for the 4 cylinder spring/strut combo, just sits too low! thanks in advance!

Justin

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
You could do what I did to lift my 89 GL. I used 1/4" thick, 2"x2" square tubing. Cut them 1" thick, then bolt them onto the top of the struts and then onto the car. In the rear, use 1/4" flat steel bent at an angle to space down the rear strut mounts. Very cheap and very strong!!! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

oh and please allow me to be the first to know when you decide to junk this thing!!! I would love to have the entire suspension assembly front and back, including hubs. But PLEASE let me know!! These are really hard to find and I'd love to have that stuff before it goes to the crusher. Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

b13-t

hmm, good idea! we might try that! will the suspension from a loyale work? and would it make any difference in height? thanks for the tips!

Justin

IBratmanI

I don't think the struts are the same on a Loyale. The lower mount is quite different. The XT6 has a 5 lug setup while the Loyale has a 4 lug. That is why I would like the Suspension assembly when you are done with this, because it will swap over onto a car with the 4 lug setup so that you can have the common 5x100 on the older cars!! You might be able to swap Legacy or outback struts onto it, but you will have to put the strut tops from the XT onto those, and That won't hep for the rear at all, because I'm pretty sure they are entirely different.

But the lift blocks that I used are very strong and have been tested off road, with very hard abuse.

b13-t

you dont happen to have a picture of how those set in do you? im trying to picture how it would work.. how did you lengthen the strut mount studs on top?

IBratmanI

Yup here is the pic!

picture.php

I don't have a pic for the rear but it is just a 1/4" piece of flat steel cut the length you want to lift it, drill holes top and bottom, and then bent to bolt up to the strut and to the original mounting holes. I can get a pic if you need one.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

It does work really well. It's very strong, and very cheap. The only thing this will do, is wear the outside of the tires a little, but I have done this to 4 Subarus so far and none of them were that bad, and yes, I drove lots o miles!! Also, except for the older Subarus, like my Brat, the cv axles hold up very well.

b13-t

that is gangster! Ryan is going to love this, and love the fact that i have some of the square tubing just laying around here! pics of the rears please! if its not too much hassle! thanks boss!

Justin..

IBratmanI

yup, I can get pics of the rears as well, might take a little while but I will. If you go into my profile, you can see the other pics of the car and see how much it changed the height of it.

IBratmanI

Alright here is a pic of pretty much what I have on the rear of my lifted car. Now keep in mind, you drill the holes however far apart you want to lift it. This is a pic from sjrlift.com he makes lift kits for Subarus, but this stuff is easy to make, so no need to buy anything

DSC01583.jpg

inski

Is this the XT6 that was for sale on rt.302? The recently painted maroon one? I wasn't allowed to stop and look at it.
default_tongue.png

b13-t

im gonna guess that it was lol, ryan got it for 500 bucks.. little tender underneath, but runs like a top! needs a winshield though!

Latest posts

Back