97 OBS Turbo

inski

*SOLD*

97 Impreza Outback Sport Turbo. $1500 with RS seats and RS steering wheel, firm. $1300 with correct 97 OBS seats and OBS steering wheel, firm.

138,000 miles

5 speed manual trans

Has trans or throw out bearing noise but is still drivable.

Exhaust rubs on drive shaft, needs adjusting or long hangers.

Did the head gaskets last weekend.

Legacy 2.2T short block

OBS heads

Legacy turbo limited slip rear diff

Rear disc brake conversion, comes with new rotors and pads in the box.

HD clutch

RS seats

STI cluster

HUD speedo

15" alloys

Dented right front fender.

Rust on the rear quarters.

Drive it away!!!

cars023.jpg

cars019.jpg

cars014.jpg

cars017.jpg

cars016.jpg

cars024.jpg

cars025.jpg

*SOLD*

Last edited by a moderator:

patsti

NitrousFed
I am very interested as well... Any Idea about the trans? That would make a great winter car for me. I have the cash lmk when you are around.

Mark

the obs heads are phase I 2.5 am i correct?

edit...or maybe just 2.2?

Mark

and also...what is the rest of the setup? is it a td04, or still the stock turbo legacy turbo? can i have more specifics on the engine build..

inski

Here's the info Emilio gave me. Wayne Chin of NESIC/NASIOC did the actual build. Emilio was the second owner.

-------------------------------------------

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon 5-door, California Emissions Specification.

OEM Subaru cassette & CD player, A/C, Power Brakes, ABS, Power Windows & Door Locks.

OEM Subaru Vacuum-type Cruise Control & Subaru front fog lights installed by me.

Aftermarket LED rear brake lights from AutoZone. The stock ones finally burned out and I had an excuse to try out LED bulbs.

Aftermarket color-changing LED interior dome light from AutoZone.

Garrett/Turbonetics T3/T04E turbo with T04E 46 trim turbine & T3 compressor, oil-cooled. Turbo oil line feed from engine block, tee'd off the stock oil pressure switch port under the intake manifold. Turbo was installed at 45K on odo.

Oil return to oil pan by FFMSD. It was originally fed back to a PCV port on the valve cover as installed by Rallispec, but this was not an ideal setup.

Tial 35mm external wastegate with 3.5psi spring installed. A 5.5psi spring is also included. The 3.5 spring helps to give the widest adjustability when used with an electronic boost controller.

Spearco Top Mount Intercooler (TMIC) under functional hood scoop. Hood scoop lost all of its clearcoat between 2002 and 2008, partly due to bad Subaru paint and partly due to high engine/turbo temperatures.

Hood vents opened up for increased engine cooling.

Greddy Type S Blow-Off Valve (BOV).

Bell (Cartech) Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Riser (RRFPR).

Toyota Supra Turbo 255lph fuel pump.

Heavy-duty STI Group N engine and transmission mounts.

K&N panel air filter. Cold air intake from passenger fender.

1991-1993 2.2L Legacy Turbo shortblock. Forged crank & connecting rods, piston oil squirters for maximum cooling, fully closed deck to eliminate deck walk. Installed at 84K, but it had about 5K on it already before I bought it from Bill Harvey. Bill bought the shortblock new while he was working the parts dept at Exeter Subaru. Fitz and I converted Bill's car back to normally-aspirated, where Mark took the tranny with LSD front differential, and I took the 2.2T short block.

1997 Impreza SOHC single-port heads, o-ringed by FFMSD at 70K to eliminate blown head gaskets. In combination with the 2.2T short block, it becomes a non-interference design to avoid bent valves if the timing belt breaks.

2000 Impreza 2.5RS SOHC all-metal head gaskets installed at 84K. Net 8.5:1 compression ratio. The stock non-turbo head gaskets failed at about 50K, and the next set of stock head gaskets failed at about 70K. This was when the heads were o-ringed, and the stock gaskets held until the stock engine blew in late 2002.

Timing belt last changed at 84K when the turbo shortblock was installed.

2.5" custom stainless exhaust with Magnaflow resonator, high-flow catalytic convertor and single-tip muffler. Installed at 45K on odo. Originally fabricated by Rallispec with less-than-ideal ground clearance, but later re-done by FFMSD (at 84K) to regain lost ground clearance. It was further tweaked at the local Muffler House muffler shop (at 110K) to replace a disintegrated high flow cat. (The Muffler House does OK work, and I only used them as a last resort for welding work - I don't trust any local shop mechanics.)

Stock exhaust headers tapped with EGT ports for both sides. Can accept certain Autometer EGT probes, but Westach probes are most cost-effective. The Autometer Competition probe has very fast response, but does not last very long. Two sets failed after only 3-6 months. The Westach probes last 1-3 years.

Rear Viscous Limited-Slip Differential from a 1993 Legacy Turbo. 3.90 final drive. I had to swap the prop shaft drive flange off the original rear diff because the turbo diff had a different bolt pattern; luckily the splines were an exact fit.

OEM Subaru oil cooler kit from WRX/Legacy Outback/Forester Turbo.

Remanufactured (Mitsubishi) starter from AutoZone. Starting circuit may skip or cut out, or the starter gear may retract prematurely, occasionally during in hot weather - just try cranking again with the ignition key.

ACT Street clutch. Installed at 45K on odo along with turbo kit.

Subaru 2.5L hydraulic clutch conversion (at 60K), push-type to be compatible with the non-turbo transmission. Obtained master & slave cylinders and pedal box from a Legacy Outback. I bought the clutch fork and throwout bearings new.

Stock OBS 5-speed manual transmission with worn input shaft bearing and slightly worn synchromesh gears, or throw-out bearing 3.90 final drive.

Short-throw shifter. Also included stock OBS & 2.5RS shifters.

Custom leather shift boot. Replaces original rubber shift boot, which I cut up for parts to help form the leather shift boot.

Stock rear 12V accessory socket and added rear cargo lamp. Rear cargo lamp doesn't have a secure mount and so may pop off if bumped.

Koni Yellow Adjustable Sport shocks with stock OBS springs.

Stock 19mm front sway bar.

20mm Subaru rear sway bar.

Rear Subaru LSD protector. Black painted steel, but it does the job and is a perfect and easy target for a floor jack. Every Subaru should have one..

2000 Impreza 2.5RS leather-wrapped steering wheel with red stitching.

2000 Impreza 2.5RS leather-wrapped shift knob with red stitching.

Front seats from Emilio's 2000 2.5RS sedan.
default_blink.png
The stock front seats had little lumbar and side bolster support, and were discarded at the Lebanon landfill.

APEX'i Super Air-Fuel Controller.

APEX'i Integrated Timing Controller (ITC). This has been removed from the car and is not needed for the current 8.5:1 compression ratio configuration - it was mandatory for 9.7:1 before I blew the original non-turbo engine.

J&S Safeguard knock sensor with timing retard control and adjustable sensitivity. Sensitivity has been set to medium - this is a good setting. Do not turn it down too far, as I believe that's how I blew the original engine.

Autometer Phantom 52mm mechanical vacuum/boost gauge. The gauge tends to read 1-2 psi low. This was verified with a 1% accurate pressure gauge I borrowed from work.

Defi Heads-Up Display.

Crimestopper security system with 1 remote 1997 did not have Subaru security system option.

Front vented disc brakes from a 1999 Impreza 2.5RS. Same spec as 1998 2.5RS.

Rear disc brakes (conversion) from a 1996 Legacy GT. Same spec as 1998 2.5RS and 1996-1999 Legacy GT/Outback, but different from 1999-2001 2.5RS (these are note compatible, and you can visually tell because of the tapered pad material when new).

15" alloy 5-spoke silver wheels from a 1997 Legacy GT, with Nokian WR 195/65R15 tires. Remaining tread good for 1-2 more summers. Comes with set of chrome Gorilla security wheel lug nuts and two keys.

Front axles with ABS tone gears from 2004 non-WRX sedan, to work with 2004 WRX ABS sensors in the knuckles. 1997 knuckles had exposed ABS tone wheels that were prone to corrosion - Muffler House had to buy a new one from a local Subaru dealer when I got them to replace the passenger side wheel bearings in 2007. I got them to replace the driver side wheel bearings in 2006. Both sets of bearings worked their way loose again after only a few months of commuter driving. The driver's side had at least 1/8" of wobble, and the ABS tone wheel had rubbed on the ABS sensor. That's when I decided it was more reliable to swap out the knuckles. These WRX wheel bearings should last many miles.

Custom-fitted SportRack roof rack with Barrecrafters clamps to secure to factory OBS roof rack. Comes with two fork mount bike racks, a wheel holder, and a Yakima wind fairing to eliminate whistling noise at highway speeds.

Fender rust. Bad Subaru paint on the hood and fenders. Dents from a flying cone on passenger front fender during Team O'Neil Winter Driving School.

Dented wrinckled pass front fender.

Go-fast & tuning items included with car:

TechEdge Wideband O2 sensor with LA1 52mm digital gauge.

Set of cryo-treated Brembo brake rotors with Carbotech Panther Plus street/track pads. They were used only for one track day at Lime Rock in CT.

Blitz Street Spec Electronic Boost Controller (EBC).

360cc side-feed fuel injectors (pink) from Legacy Turbo.

inski

Worst case on the trans is it will need another one. I've seen Cumberland Salvage list them for 450, other are around 500-600. Remember salvage yard prices are negotiable. Best case scenario is its just the throw-out bearing. I get home in Naples around 6pm every day. Free all weekend. call2108732 if you want to drive it and check it out.

It goes good and is fun as hell, just noisy right now. I figure its a $3k-$4car if it was for the growl it makes then you let the clutch out and the rattle of the exhaust.

Matt

lol.....that's a good price...now sell me all the turbo stuff so i can out it on the rs...

Latest posts

Back