Advice: TO Swap, or to repair?

ReZDoG

I'm not ReZPunk
I have a 2000 Impreza L. Currently sitting with Assumed Bent/Broken Shifter Fork, suck in Neutral. Back story is I was down shifting from 5th to 4th, heard this crunch, couldn't move the shifter at all.. I current have a 95 Impreza L Transmission that I thought about just swapping in. But I just come across a 2002 WRX Transmission also. what I'm curious about is it worth doing a whole swap (Either to an older transmission, or to attempted the whole Cable to Hydraulic swap for the WRX) or just break open the Current transmission and attempted to replace the broken bits..

My Goto guy isn't hip to rebuilding transmissions, so I'd have to outsource. Any Ideas, suggestions?

inski

I'm with Lobstah. Short down time on just throwing in another trans. Rebuilding is doable but takes a long time and could end up coming out not exactly right and need to come out again.

But a WRX drivetrain would be cool. Big difference with the limited slip rear.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
WRX swap is way more involved than it's probably worth. you need to source gearbox, pedal cluster, entire clutch ass'y, flywheel, master cyl, slave cyl, driveshaft, rear diff and rear axles. Am probably forgetting a couple things. OK great you end up with an lsd but still have tall 3.9 final drive ratio not well suited to fun driving with N/A motor.

anyway, car will be down a whole lot less time if you just replace busted gearbox with another of similar vintage.

on the other hand you could source a Forester box and rear diff of similar vintage (up to 00 I think) which have same ratios as 2.5RS and make the swap much more worthwhile. find Foz S bits, w/4.11 viscous rear lsd just like RS.
default_biggrin.png
no need to change out clutch, flywheel, driveshaft and rear axles either.

Evan

i would make double sure of what your rear diff ratio is if you buy anything but a tranny from your exact car. subaru only has a few ratios it goes with (4.44, 4.10, 3.90 etc), but it switches them around a lot. autos' and 5spds from the same year will have different ratios, different engines could have different ratios (2.2 impreza L vs. 2.5RS) etc etc. just make sure it matches. also make sure its the same, either hydraulic or cable clutch, as yours.

Latest posts

Back