Ask a Tuner Thread!

Tyler

Probably not a bad idea ...
default_additional_thumbsup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

02 WRX Chris

I got a good one for you Bren. Im modding my car soon. Im gonna list out the specs and I would like to know how much power you think I would get out of the setup and what I may be able to upgrade to get more powa! Here it is!

VF36 turbo

STI pink injectors

05ish STI cams

20 or 30 over for the bore? (which one!?!)

Forged rods and pistons

new bearings

OEM ECU tune (not a stand alone)

Huge top mount intercooler

catless invidia uppipe

high flow down pipe

full 3.5" exhaust

stock top end

I think that's it. I can't think of anything else right now that will be done. What do you think a baseline HP rating and what do you think I would do to get a little more out of her with that Turbo! Thanks Bren!

BG @ BrenTuning

Custom Tuning ECUs
I got a good one for you Bren. Im modding my car soon. Im gonna list out the specs and I would like to know how much power you think I would get out of the setup and what I may be able to upgrade to get more powa! Here it is! VF36 turbo STI pink injectors 05ish STI cams 20 or 30 over for the bore? (which one!?!) Forged rods and pistons new bearings OEM ECU tune (not a stand alone) Huge top mount intercooler catless invidia uppipe high flow down pipe full 3.5" exhaust stock top end I think that's it. I can't think of anything else right now that will be done. What do you think a baseline HP rating and what do you think I would do to get a little more out of her with that Turbo! Thanks Bren!
VF36 twin scroll - 2.0L displacement?

You have all the thing needed at that point, just a good boost controller and a dyno tune. I would not run that car on stock ECU with those mods so I wouldnt quote a baseline. As that requres full tuning to get to it's potential. On the dyno I've done a few like yours that made 290-310whp at 18psi. If you run that on the OEM ECU flash (made for 440cc injectors and 13psi) you will most likely knock horrendously.

abenson100

will you guys tune a piggy back. I have my car running decently (well it hasn't blown up yet) on an AEM FIC 6 but I need someone with more experience to fill in the gap and make the car really come to life.

currently the car:

doesn't like to come off idle

idels around 11:1 AFR

the rest of the fuel map is kinda rich but I started that way so I wouldn't kill it.

the factory timing cant be advanced off boost and is retarded 1 degree/psi

ive been feeding it 93 oct and getting an indicated 18-20 psi @9:1 CR

engine:

02 wrx block

22t heads

VF12

HUGE fmic

stock RS fuel pump

legacy ss injectors

wrx header

catless up

3" catless bell mouth down

Last edited by a moderator:

jcovey2.5

Looking to optimize a tune to the fullest

Is there anything you would add or change on my mod list? I am also planning on getting a turbo blanket before a tune.

Thanks for the input,

Joe

Engine

2004 STi EJ257 (2.6L)

Wiseco 100mm Pistons

Eagle Rods

King Race Bearings (Main and Rod)

ARP Headstuds

Cometic 100mm Head Gaskets

Grimmspeed PnP and Coated Intake Manifold

Grimmspeed PnP and Coated Throttle Body

Grimmspeed PnP and Coated TGV'S

KS 9.5mm Phenolic Spacers

Helix 860cc injectorsU

Walbro 255

Deadbolt SZ55 Turbo

Grimmspeed 3 Port EBCS

SGMotorsports AOS

Samco Red Turbo Inlet

Samco Red Radiator Hoses

Samco Red Ancillary Hoses

TurboXS Intake (w/ Zero Sports Big MAF)

TurboXS FMIC (Huge Core)

Steed Speed In-Line BOV

Synapse Syncronic 50mm EWG

Grimmspeed 44mm EWG Up-Pipe (Ceramic Coated)

GT Spec Exhaust Manifold (Ceramic Coated)

Invidia Bellmouth Down Pipe (Ceramic Coated)

3” Cat Back w/ Resonated Mid-pipe

Vibrant flat black universal muffler

Kartboy Pink Exhaust Hangers

11mm STI Oil Pump

Gates Racing Timing Belt/ Idler Kit

NGK Iradium One Step Colder Spark Plugs

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Nothing too fancy, but I still have some questions. Here goes:

05 obxt

Mods:

Catless up pipe

Cobb catted downpipe

2.5" single exit exhaust

Process west topmount intercooler

GFB 50/50 b o.v

Perrin short ram intake

Its currently AP stage 2 with the intercooler, bov, and intake being stock. Whats the best way to tune this once I install these parts? What sort of gains/power would I be looking at after?

roadtrip1098

You can probably get anywhere from 10-25 HP depending on how aggressively you tune it. Most OTS tunse have enough error built in so the car should do alright with a reset. In order to tune for it though you'll need to take some logs and see where you're at.

WashmyScooby

Definately get it tuned once you get the intake installed. My car with just the OTS Cobb software and the Process West is fine though. When I put my AEM inake on and tried to use the Cobb OTS AEM+Stage 2 91 octane map I got crazy boost spikes (20+ psi) so I had to put the stock airbox back on.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Definately get it tuned once you get the intake installed. My car with just the OTS Cobb software and the Process West is fine though. When I put my AEM inake on and tried to use the Cobb OTS AEM+Stage 2 91 octane map I got crazy boost spikes (20+ psi) so I had to put the stock airbox back on.
even with the lower wastegate dc map?

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
mines kept under control with a 3-port, although i know that it doesn't always solve the issue. Those vf-52's on the other hand...very notorious with boost creep, especially with my 09 wrx i had.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
not uncommon for stock turbos to overboost. the good thing is i can port the wastegate and fix it!
It doesn't always work though. I did the same to mine as many have done, and it didn't change anything. I even re did it 3 times, taking a little more, and smoothing a little more each time, and the boost still climbed until the ECU stopped it. But adding a catted down pipe fixed it, which was another suggestion I received from others.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
ive never had it not work, boost always went from uncontrollable to be able to run wastegate pressure, even on modded motors. the front turbo on my lexus which is the one with the wastegate got ported before i put the motor in since they are known to overboost. the wastegate port is the same size as a VF turbo, and i can run wastegate pressure and that's a 3.0 liter engine.... its all in how you do it i guess.

Latest posts

Back