AWD to 2wd trans project

KTurner

Since there are no final drive options available for the 2wd trans, the clutch is a puny girlie man and the input shaft has a different spline so I just can't change the clutch I have decided to convert an AWD trans that I pulled out of a '97 Leggo wagon during $40 trans weekend into a fwd trans. The 2wd conversion in itself isn't all that hard, you can hack up the center diff or use a modified Subaru stopper tool (info on this will come later, welding required). So far the magic hasn't fallen out, everything is apart the center housing is in the shed. the toys are going in...

ooh a box

P4061417.jpg

open versus not

P4061418.jpg

nice big clutches

P4061420.jpg

P4061422.jpg

P4061423.jpg

P4061424.jpg

how it all goes together

P4061426.jpg

more to come

Evan

you sure that isn't going to make it rwd?

and are those tesa's? if so, nice.

KTurner

it's a dbf-2015 front diff. The 2wd conversion part will come later... need to couple the driven gears to the front pinion, this part is still in the works.

tesa's, yes

Evan

oh heh, maybe those aren't your pics, but the digital calipers that guy is holding look like tesa's, they're damn expensive. $150 maybe?

KTurner

yes they are mine (the hands)... I forgot the name and don't usually look at it, just know how to use them (proper use not depicted). thought you were asking about the gloves for a sec :
default_biggrin.png
can't remember the price

stiXXX

I've got a mint STi stock dif laying around, replaced it w a Cusco 2-way, I wonder if it has any good use in other Soobies?

KTurner

Update: Using a subaru drive pinion stopper tool and welding a spacer on the back (thanks MrToad)

P5101449.jpg

The driven and pinion splines

P5101451.jpg

are coupled

P5101452.jpg

voila!

P5101455.jpg

next up is fitting the fwd rear case... more to come

KTurner

time for an update: so I spent a good deal of time but luckily no money sourcing another FWD rear case. However, I was so concerned with whether or not the spline adapter would fit in the case (yes it does) I completely ignored the fact that there is no way the 5th gear shift fork ever will.

here is the solution:

P9061557.jpg

more to come...

Latest posts

Back