Bad Gearbox????

Status
Not open for further replies.

twa

My girlfriend's A4 (2002 1.8T 67k miles) had the oil lamp come on last Friday. She brought it into Morong and they told her it had a serious problem and they would need it for a couple of days.

After being torn down on Monday they found the deposits in the cylinders and it's fully covered under the previously mentioned Oil Sludge issue. Her car was technically 27k miles out of the drivetrain warranty all ready....hmm what do you know. Free service.

F*** subuaru.

twa

I recevied the following from my attempt to contact BBB:

February 22, 2006

Dear Consumer:

We are in receipt of your complaint describing the difficulties you are experiencing with your vehicle.

As you may be aware, we administer a mediation/arbitration program, BBB AUTO LINE, to resolve disputes between certain automobile manufacturers and consumers alleging manufacturing defects. However,

twa

My new/used Gearbox should be arriving today or tomorrow. Should be installed by the end of the week and posted for sale soon :)

btw:

f*** subaru

f*** subaru

f*** subaru

f*** subaru

and

subaru's f***ing suck

R

rallyXcramps

default_wink.png

default_frown.gif

;D

I used to drive Subarus. Actually I still like them. They are capable of many things when you aren't making payments and when things aren't coming un-glued.

chris.j

subie trannys are extremely difficult to do, I assume CHip won't touchit.. but maybe worth a phone call..
Too bad its too late, as I could have helped you rebuild the tranny. Speaking from personal experience, DIY tranny rebuilds are not that hard at all.

2.5 hrs - tranny removal and reinstallation

3 hrs - tranny case breakdown and bearing pressing

1.5 hrs - dicking around in the garage an drinking beer

7 hours to fix it yourself, vs weeks spent feeling screwed by Subaru.
default_wink.png

Rightseat

will be glad when twa's new gearbox goes in and the car gets sold or traded.

he bought a used car private sale that had some issues...then had more probs, warranty didn't bail him out. this sucks. OK, so fix the prob and move on.

no need to keep rubbing our noses in it, thanks. :-

we still love our scoobs, and know they're not perfect.

DG

twa

Correction, the car supposedly had zero issues when I bought the car used at a young 17,500 miles. The transmission had just been rebuilt by Exeter Subaru at 16k miles. Apparantly the life of a subaru rebuilt transmissions isn't longer than 12,000 miles.

Actually I'm not waiting on Subaru at all. I'm waiting for the damn freight truck to deliver my used transmission!

subaru's aren't perfect, they're sh*tboxes.

chris.j

I'm sure you can fill in the blank with any manufacturer and have your statment be true to someone.

I have a WRX with 177,000 someodd miles, on a tranny I rebuilt myself 10,000 miles ago. A 2.0l turbo engine with 177k, yeah sounds like Subaru is complete bunk to me...

YMMV, all the usual disclaimers apply.

chris.j

its called enforced maintainence, and you will notice it in the wheelwells of your cars soon.

I had to rebuild the tranny for probably the same reason you did, high rev shifts, clutch drops, etc.

twa

My point was, that I've had 8-9 other manual transmissions that were beat on much harder with 150k more miles than my Subaru and I've never had to replace a clutch or transmission. Which brings me to my point of:

Subaru transmissions = the suck

chris.j

There are only a few typical reasons why *any* MT fails. I know and admit why mine failed, now admit yours... lol

I'm sure you had/have a number of hairline fissures in your gears, suggesting the same failure reason as mine. Too many drag races, donuts, peeling out in dirt only to hit pavement with the wheels still spinning, etc.

...but I digress...

Rightseat

simple fact is that at some point this car was beat on in a serious and ham-handed manner, if not by twa then by the PO. trannies do NOT break by themselves. its also clear that this particular gearbox never got fixed properly. I repeat, this sucks.

"supposedly zero issues" on a pre-owned car is why some people will only buy brand-new cars. it's the risk one takes when saving money on buying used. given even one shred of luck, your new-used tranny will last like it should, problem over.

just quit telling me my subaru is a sheetbox, it is most definitely not. you SO have no idea what you're tallking about on that issue. I risk my life and my co-drivers' life in it on a regular basis, and that's a trust I don't take lightly.

sorry you've had a bad experience, now enough is enough.

peace

DG

twa

Then why are there so many damn wrx transmissions breaking? There are unlimitted threads about the transmission failures. Subaru will not warranty the transmissions. SOA will not arbitrate with the BBB in the state of Maine; which is pretty convenient for me. I'm sorry, but to admit that I am at fault for breaking this transmission I will not. I've beat the living snot out of other cars. Mainly because I was much younger and had nothing better to do. Now I'm close to thirty and need a sporty commuter car for my long drive and cars can acceptably go through three transmission in 30K miles...hmmmm..yaaaa.

Nobody aknowledged my gf's lucky warranty work from Audi that I recently posted. hmmmm.

sh*tbox.

chris.j

Then why are there so many damn wrx transmissions breaking?
Because the WRX is very affordable, and that means there are a lot of damn fools doing all wheel peelouts after watching WRC...

The bottom line is that your in Subaru land here, and so yeah, your gonna get some push back when you say Subies are junk. Any car that's been beaten is junk, just as any car that's been cared for is usually good.

I gotta say, I would believe the durability record of the vast number of rally crews bringing Subaru's to the race. Again, YMMV in life.

Nobody aknowledged my gf's lucky warranty work from Audi that I recently posted. hmmmm.
Sorry, didnt know we needed to acknowledge when a dealer worked on your car. Nicely done mate.

twa

Not that the dealer worked on the car, the fact that the car was out of warranty by 27k miles. Aside from the fact that Audi had extended the warranty on the motor for that particular issue because it'll effect more than a couple 1.8T owners.

It was also basically in response to previous posters who have flamed Audi's warranty service.

It seems to be quite obvious that SOA has dropped the ball on the USDM wrx transmission where it seems like the only positve way to fix the issue is to install the gears made for the JDM car of same make and model that don't seem to break??? How is that not Subaru's fault?

A couple of weeks ago I spoke with Rallispec and they have 21 transmissions coming in 10-12 days from the conversation, at that time 17 had already been paid for. From that time it's still another 10 days to wait for the cyrogenic treatment, for what? To install gears that don't break in a wrx.

The Junkyard that I ordered from said they deal more 5spd transmissions for wrx's than any other car. They can't keep them in stock.

hmmmm.

If I have caused some distaste in loyal Subaru owners I'm sorry. I'll be more specific about my rants.

SOA = The Suck

WRX Transmissions = The Suck

Patriot Subaru Service MGR = The Suck

katnip

the car is black. I swear
the car has had how many tranny's? lemon law?????????????

Not many OEM tranny's are bulletproof no matter the manufacturer, especially for performance vehicles. Hell, no tranny is bulletproof, someone can break any tranny ;D

You may not have beat on that car, but someone obviously must have prior to you. Buying used cars suck, you don't know what you are getting. Are you getting thrashed by SOA for someone elses' malfeasence. Yup! Would I be pissed if I was getting the same treatment? Sure would. I had suzuki do the same to me when a tranny failed. So I traded it for a subaru.
default_wink.png

I love my scooby and would buy one any day over an audi. Audi's are overweight/underpowered tanks that don't rotate. ;D (why do you think O'Neils makes first timers use them instead of scoobies, very hard to rotate?) Does audi provide better service? They'd better those cars are NOT cheap.

A wrx is a redneck ferrari. ;D It is a sport sedan under 25K, there will be cheap parts. Unfortunately, if one wants better warranty, service etc. one should buy a more expensive car.

my 2 pennies.

kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back