best tranny fluid options

spartan5

Hey all,just wanted to pick the collective brain of the forum as to what the best option for tranny fluid to use for my 99 RS would be. I've heard that Redline and Royal Purple are good,just looking for some suggestions,and the best place to pick 'em up. Thanks

Stein

Stein
What brand/type of transmission fluid should I use and how do I do it myself?

The Subaru 5MT can be a picky about what fluid you should use. Popular fluids that have a large fan base are:

a. OEM fluid AKA Subaru Extra-S

b. Uncle Scotty's Cocktail of 1qt Redline lightweight shockproof, 1qt Pennzoil or GM Synchromesh, 2qt Castrol HypoyC 80w-90

c. Redline lightweight shockproof

d. Motul 300

While we are big fans of sticking to OEM fluids on NASIOC, this is one case where using something not SOA recommended has shown actual benefit, mainly in helping with synchro interaction.

You 6MT users can use whatever you like, though there is some benefit by using one of the above fluids as they do aid in synchro engagement.

Scoobymods.com instructions

Scoobymods.com instructions

NASIOC instructions

To dispose of your old tranny fluid, many states treat it the same as old motor oil, so for most, just add it to your motor oil pan and dispose of it that way. Call your local waste recycling facility for the best answer though.
Source (edit: that is a link, despite the lack of formatting)

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I have Royal Purple in my RS.

If I were to do it again, I'd do Redline or Uncle Scotty's. Don't get me wrong the RP has served me just fine, I'd just like to try the other two.

Nicklaus220

I'm getting motul 300 for mine. just picked up my new tranny today in Rumford. let me and greasemonkey know how the tran serves ya.

Ryan

I'm using Scotty's cocktail... a bit overrated I'd say. Next time I change I'm going straight redline shockproof.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
dont use the scottys cocktail. Read further into it on nasioc and trans failures were expereinced by users.

use regular old 75/90 GL-5 valvoline gear oil, its the closest to subaru extra s, and what a lot of dealerships use. MAKE SURE ITS GL-5!!! Using GL-4 will ruin the front differential, sometimes within miles.

Stay away from oils with friction modifiers also, such as GM synchromesh,problems have been encountered from this.

The OEM gear oil is not synthetic, subaru does not recommend syn gear oil for the diff or transmission.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
we have run Motul Gear 300 in the Last Ditch Racing rally car gearboxes for years (street cars, too). no trans failures yet that did not include actually hitting something. ppl who know us know that we don't exactly baby our cars, either.

i-wagon

i think i have motul in mine, hardly ever use the clutch, and i don't drive her easy, no problems yet

spartan5

soo,where around here would one purchase the Motul or the Valvoline gear oil? I'm interested in both but am not finding a local vendor to supply it, any help would be appreciated

woodys77

soo,where around here would one purchase the Motul or the Valvoline gear oil? I'm interested in both but am not finding a local vendor to supply it, any help would be appreciated
i can order motul for you .... and that's what i run in my sti trans and diff, i love it!!

spartan5

i can order motul for you .... and that's what i run in my sti trans and diff, i love it!!
Hey,would be interested in getting some here real quick,what is it going for per quart? You can pm me with cost for your descretion. Thanks in advance!

-=Lobstah=-

Hey Justin (woody77), i know i contacted you before about the MOTUL. Is the case price any cheaper than per bottle?

Spartan5, if you want, you and EddieHunt could go together on a case if its cheaper....

Latest posts

Back