BOV help!

Blue Bugeye

I got my turbosmart veeport bov today and when i hooked it up the piston wasn't opening when i revved the engine. I took the bov apart and greased the piston with white lithium grease. made it a little better but it still didn't open. I took it up the road just to see if it needed to be under load and it was the same thing. I can push the piston up with my thumbs but it just doesn't seem to do it under boost. Is the spring just to stiff for my stock boost or something? I tried both the hard and soft settings with the same result. Any input would be great.

And not to be rude but please, i don't want to hear about how an atmo vent bov is useless or bad for my car. I just want to shed some light on the piston problem. Thank you all.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
"... I got my turbosmart veeport bov today and when i hooked it up the piston wasn't opening when i revved the engine....

bov won't open until you lift off under boost, as in shifting or lifting under power. won't do it while revving while car is at rest unless you really wind the bejeejus out of the engine, which IS bad for it
default_cool.png
wrx motors don't like boost under no load...

if it's not doing its "waaah, (lift) FOOSH (shift) waaaah" thing, something is wrong. you DID connect all the lines n hoses din't you?
default_biggrin.png

Trevor723

Go for a rip in 2nd gear WOT. Shift at 6-7k rpm. You'll either get a bov sound (working) or a loud chatter (surge/not working/sprung too stiff).

C-Rolla

Parts Pimp
I got my turbosmart veeport bov today and when i hooked it up the piston wasn't opening when i revved the engine. I took the bov apart and greased the piston with white lithium grease. made it a little better but it still didn't open. I took it up the road just to see if it needed to be under load and it was the same thing. I can push the piston up with my thumbs but it just doesn't seem to do it under boost. Is the spring just to stiff for my stock boost or something? I tried both the hard and soft settings with the same result. Any input would be great.
And not to be rude but please, i don't want to hear about how an atmo vent bov is useless or bad for my car. I just want to shed some light on the piston problem. Thank you all.
Sounds to me like it's either not hooked up correctly in regards to vaccum, or the spring pressure is too great.

PM me, and you can meet me in Brewer and I'll take a look at it for you.

Chris

Blue Bugeye

got it working. sounds great but it flutters pretty bad when you shift. is that bad? any way to remedy it? I have the spring as soft as it will go.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
I have a turbosmart. Just make sure you have that thing as loose as it will go since it comes with a pretty stiff spring. Some flutter is normal, I kinda like it.

Blue Bugeye

It seems to it every time i shift, is that normal. I just figured the spring needed to be broken in and that was causing it. It is a pretty darn stiff spring.

diabloadsit

Go for a rip in 2nd gear WOT. Shift at 6-7k rpm. You'll either get a bov sound (working) or a loud chatter (surge/not working/sprung too stiff).
Listen to this post.

-----Added 4/28/2009 at 08:11:00-----

I have the turbosmart Dual vent bov. It worked fine out of the box. Turbosmart makes one of the best damn bov's you can get. So I would say you have something hooked up wrong. Of course you could have just got unlucky and got a crap new bov.

ruggedman

It seems to it every time i shift, is that normal. I just figured the spring needed to be broken in and that was causing it. It is a pretty darn stiff spring.
Sounds like it's working fine.

A quick lesson on BOVs:

A blow off valve vents pressurized air to the atmosphere when the throttle plate shuts to prevent compressor surge. So if it's doing that...then yes its working. It doesn't just go woosh woosh all the time, nor does it make that nose when your turbo is supposed to be building pressure.

When you vent this air to atmosphere from the BOV it's already been metered by the mass airflow sensor, doing this will make the car stumble and sometimes backfire, or otherwise run incorrectly because of an excessively rich condition. Essentially it's a noise maker when you shift or let off the gas at high boost pressure.

The OEM air bypass valve is adaquate for up to boost pressures in the low to mid 20s, and since it recirculates air it's both quieter and doesn't cause a rich condition.

Trevor723

Basically any purely vent to atmosphere (vta) bov you get is going to have issues with spring pressure. You have to run such a low spring pressure to properly vent it that it will leak at idle. This results in poor idle if you're lucky and no idle if you're not. Get it sprung tight enough to hold at idle and you'll get the surge you're experiencing now.

I had a Tial 50mm bov on my last car but was running a blow thru MAF setup so leaking at idle didn't effect things. I tried literally 4 springs varying by 1 psi of pressure each before I got it to vent without surge. The valve would literally oscillate open/closed at idle, the tolerance is that fine. Not only that, you're going to have more or less vacuum depending on if it's a cold start, a/c running, etc.

Long story short, straight VTA bov is probably more trouble than it's worth. If you're dying to have the sound, spend the big bucks and get a quality 50/50 one, probably in the $250-$300 range.

Blue Bugeye

Well i've had it on for the afternoon. Seems to be workin fine. Idles exactly the same, not rough at all. Actually lags less between shifts. mpg doesn't seem to have changed, only been an afternoon of driving though. We'll see how it works out in the long run, if its turns up some problems i'll just get rid of it. This was more or less an experiment. Got the bov cheap so i figured what the heck.

diabloadsit

Well i've had it on for the afternoon. Seems to be workin fine. Idles exactly the same, not rough at all. Actually lags less between shifts. mpg doesn't seem to have changed, only been an afternoon of driving though. We'll see how it works out in the long run, if its turns up some problems i'll just get rid of it. This was more or less an experiment. Got the bov cheap so i figured what the heck.
If you know how a BOV works it is really simple. I am not talking about ohh I build pressure and it blows off. I mean if you "know" how it works.

Talking about the top of the BOV having less service area than the bottom and you now why under throttle it stays closed and why it "pops" open when throttle is let off.

I have heard of stock wrx's and sti's running full vent bov's and having trouble with them. That being said most of the time if you buy a really great product you shouldn't have a problem. Like I said Turbosmart makes like the best bov you can buy on the market. If you got it for cheap kudos to you. I paid $350 for mine.

Blue Bugeye

Well it seems to be working great. Doesn't seem to lag as much, and is opening fine when i let off in boost. No idling problems, stalling, bad mpg or anything of the sort. It actually seems like i'm getting a little better mpg. I'm usually around 150 miles at half a tank and i'm at about 175 at half this time.

I'm not crazy about the fluttering but its still pretty cool. i guess a softer spring may fix that but i'm pretty content with it for now.

Trevor723

Who know what's causing that chatter when it's supposed to be venting? I believe I have my mind wrapped around it, and it's far from a good thing, but I don't want to post potential BS.

Latest posts

Back