Burning oil. Diagnosis and fix please.

soposube

Here the deal.

I have a 99 OBS 2.2l with about 140K and it burns some oil. How do I know you ask?

Besides seeing a little smoke come out the tailpipe when throttle is applied. My oil light came on the other day. I promptly pulled over and poured in about 3/4 of a QT. Then when I went to get my oil changed a day later they said I was down about a qt. So I must have been down like 2 qts when my oil light came on. :-[

I have not lost any power, as a matter of fact sometimes my car feels a little peppy.

So what could the issue be?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Here the deal.

I have a 99 OBS 2.2l with about 140K and it burns some oil. How do I know you ask?

Besides seeing a little smoke come out the tailpipe when throttle is applied. My oil light came on the other day. I promptly pulled over and poured in about 3/4 of a QT. Then when I went to get my oil changed a day later they said I was down about a qt. So I must have been down like 2 qts when my oil light came on. :-[

I have not lost any power, as a matter of fact sometimes my car feels a little peppy.

So what could the issue be?
the oil light comes on with barely anything in the sump... like maybe a quart or so in there. sounds like rings. to get by in the summer try jumping up to a heavier weight oil (wait till it gets warm tho)

and start shopping for a block to rebuild and replace.

J

junkyardgabe

ya subarus let you know when your half empty.i'd check for any leaks first and change your pcv valve.cause some leaks won't leave a puddle on the ground

soposube

Not a drop of oil on the ground. I'll check for pcv in the maintance log.

As far as the rings go. Wouldn't I have loss of power do to blow by or something like that.??

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
my saab was peppier when the rings started to go. there is less friction in the assembly, and it kinda evens out (till it gets real bad)

J

junkyardgabe

if your burning oil it will usually show up around the tail pipe on your bumper

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I'd like to here from the PRO's on this issues.

Inski,joel,nijel.

thanks for the vote of confidence :
default_wink.png

default_biggrin.png

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
The only real way of telling if its rings for sure is doing a leakdown test. You need to pull the plugs and have a leakdown tester. A compression test gives you a good indication also. Look for one cylinder that is lower than the rest. I have a compression tester you could use or we could do it. All you do is pull a plug, screw in the tester, hold the thottle wide open (disconnect the coil first so it don't start) and crank it. Repeat for all 4 cylinders. You'll want to write down what cylinder had what reading.

2.2's should have between 156-185psi. If one is real low, you've found your problem.

Other than that, a pcv can cause oil burning. I'd try a new one.

Rightseat

your oil consumption doesn't sound that bad. compression/leakdown test is def called for, but if findings are not horrible remember this...

"oil is cheaper than a new motor"

once you're sucking a quart every couple hundred, then it's time to get out the toolbox.

R

redlinerally

I'll sell you my 2.5i for $15k, and buy this off of you for $4k... straight up.
default_wink.png

Think about it.

Runnah

your oil consumption doesn't sound that bad. compression/leakdown test is def called for, but if findings are not horrible remember this...

"oil is cheaper than a new motor"

once you're sucking a quart every couple hundred, then it's time to get out the toolbox.
Yup, according to numerous sources a quart every 1000miles is "normal" on older subies.

Anything less is cause for concern.

soposube

THANKS everybody for so great feedback!!

I Do like the idea that oil is cheaper than a new motor. Although part of me was kinda excited about putting in a 2.5. :
default_wink.png

So assuming it is the rings leaking. Is it a problem that gets exponentially worse, or can it be held off??

I sell some addatives at my work that can "loosing" up stuck rings. Is that stuff legit?

Rightseat

mix up equal parts owl entrails, tiger balls, and walrus weenie...3-5 minutes in the Cuisinart at X-high speed, then pour into the motor and then.....

do that wagon deal w/Senor Post Ho, posthaste >
default_biggrin.png

J

junkyardgabe

trick i see people trying in change your oil use 1 qt. mobil 1 and the rest regular oil.that is for one's burning oil

Latest posts

Back