Burning oil. Diagnosis and fix please.

Rightseat

TMI, x 5.555M!!!

eeew.

PS--for sale on eBay...soiled undies from Derek Ringer (McRae's codriver) circa Rally NZ 1994, Subaru's very first WRC win.....

priceless.

inski

burning more than 1 quart/3,000 is excessive, i dont care what Subaru says. But if you watch it closely you might find adding a quart once a week isn't a big deal.

but the cause is just what everyone has mentioned. PCV goobered up, breather hoses not working, rings worn away or stuck, cylinders scored, valve seals bad, external leaks. I'd change the PCV, and maybe the air filter (part of the pcv system), and check your breather hoses, and monitor your oil level. The oil additives cant replace missing metal but some have detergents that might free up a stuck ring. I've never heard of a subaru with an oil burning problem except for turbo cars. Your 2.2L is the most reliable Subaru engine ever. The only common issues with those are external oil leaks, which is common with all subaru engines as they get older. So, I think if you do have a burning oil problem or blow by it might because too many oil changes were skipped in its lifetime.

I used to do a quart a day (or more) in a certain Saturn I owned. That wasn't worth fixing. An OBS is imho. Gabe has engines for cheap. Maybe throw one in while you do rings and seals on the other one.

Latest posts

Back